Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Are we gonna get at 12.01 am Zion signing over a nice bowl of Gumbo like we did with AD?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Is Poetl gettable? Is that even worth doing if we can?
    Guy that would interest me more is Bogdanovic. Would consider Graham and Temple for BB if Hawks wanna get off some money for 23-24. Or, if BB is part of the Ayton trade, could offer that to Phoenix to give them someone cheaper
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Guy that would interest me more is Bogdanovic. Would consider Graham and Temple for BB if Hawks wanna get off some money for 23-24. Or, if BB is part of the Ayton trade, could offer that to Phoenix to give them someone cheaper
    You've been high on Dort in the past..

Is he now redundant with Herb and Daniels on the depth chart?

Would BB's $18 million player option in 23-24 not scare you off? Would that make it difficult to re-sign Nance or would you be banking on being able to unload his expiring deal at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would BB's $18 million player option in 23-24 not scare you off? Would that make it difficult to re-sign Nance or would you be banking on being able to unload his expiring deal at that point?
    It wouldnt be ideal but the Pels have a lot of non ideal options. Its only a few mil more than Graham, so it wouldnt effect anything I did (with Nance or anyone else). Just a bigger expiring to trade next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    You've been high on Dort in the past..

Is he now redundant with Herb and Daniels on the depth chart?
    Not redundant, just too costly long term to give up assets for. I think he gets close to 20 mil in next deal, for 3-4 years. Cant commit to that for a 7th man that might be a 9th or 10th man by the end of that contract if Pels keep drafting this well

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    What about Huerter? Some NBA blue checks on twitter seem to think he could be a guy the Hawks move off of now. Especially if they go for Ayton.

ATL: Hayes/GT (maybe heavily lotto protected future first or top 20)/cash
    NOLA: Huerter

Nola consolidates assets; does take on some money/get closer to tax tho. But we get a solid backup/insurance for CJ for next couple years.

Hawks get off some money in Huerter. Can keep GT as end of bench or buy out with cash to open roster spot. Have Hayes/protected future first as trade assets to dangle to suns or to backup ayton

It’s all gonna depend what the Ayton deal looks like and what Phoenix does and doesn’t want

Right now, the Pels have nothing enviable. They are not anyones first, second or third choice to do deals with. They are one of the “if other things fall apart” or “if we need a third” team

Just gotta hope to get lucky and slide in if something falls in between the cracks. And it will. No rush. If it doesn’t, that’s fine too

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    What about Huerter? Some NBA blue checks on twitter seem to think he could be a guy the Hawks move off of now. Especially if they go for Ayton.

ATL: Hayes/GT (maybe heavily lotto protected future first or top 20)/cash
    NOLA: Huerter

Nola consolidates assets; does take on some money/get closer to tax tho. But we get a solid backup/insurance for CJ for next couple years.

Hawks get off some money in Huerter. Can keep GT as end of bench or buy out with cash to open roster spot. Have Hayes/protected future first as trade assets to dangle to suns or to backup ayton
    He has a longer contract (4 years/$65 million). Pels would have to be pretty sold on him to commit that much knowing how it will affect decisions on players in the future (i.e. Nance). He is young (almost 24).

Wenby odds on to land in the West now

Not good news

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Wenby odds on to land in the West now

Not good news
    I am not worried about most prospects. That is the next potential Lebron IMO. In that, once fully formed, he can own a conference for close to a decade if he gets even moderate support. Need that pick to go East.

I am not worried about most prospects. That is the next potential Lebron IMO. In that, once fully formed, he can own a conference for close to a decade if he gets even moderate support. Need that pick to go East.
    ...or Lakers pull the #1 pick in the lottery.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    or he goes to West; expansion happens and we go East. Though I think its most likely Minnesota goes east.

They should do it.

Why?

Because it would be funny.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    ...or Lakers pull the #1 pick in the lottery.
    Personally I think Wemby's odds of becoming the "next Lebron" are about on par as our odds to land that #1 pick via the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Personally I think Wemby's odds of becoming the "next Lebron" are about on par as our odds to land that #1 pick via the Lakers
    Legitimate question: how much Wemby have you watched?

The next Lebron is a bit much,, maybe, because that's always high, but he's one of the very best prospects since Lebron, that's for sure. Luka tier, no question in my mind, at the least.

Lebron wont leave up to the hype either. Comparing Ja to Russ, a former MVP is blaspahmy, don’t call this kid Kevin Garnett another Moses Malone, who can succeed coming out of high school. Luka being the next Bird is insane

Whenever you call a 17 or 18 year old the next all time great, there is push back. But every all time great was once 17. Barring injury, this guy will be better than Durant. Can I prove it? No. Would I bet on it? Yes

Obligatory highlights. Giannis / AD hybrid, but longer and more skilled.

We'll be seeing lots of this over the next decade: "Vic-Wemb is the perfect stretch 5 to pair with Zion! How can we get him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Obligatory highlights. Giannis / AD hybrid, but longer and more skilled.

Better shooting prospect than either, by about 400 miles. Better handle than both as well, by a significant amount. And I don't mean for his age either; his handle right now is better than AD's is right now.

Yeah, we saw how influential Evan Mobley was defensively and Wembanyama has the potential to be significantly more effective.

Part of me wants to see OKC land Wembanyama just to see Chet, Victor, and Poku on the floor at the same time! It would make for some nice theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyquem View Post
    Yeah, we saw how influential Evan Mobley was defensively and Wembanyama has the potential to be significantly more effective.
    I think that more people should watch international basketball, it's revealing. Wemby is the best shotblocking prospect since AD - who at the time was lauded as the best defensive prospect since Bill Russell by some. Now, given that Wembanyama is significantly taller and has a higher standing reach than AD, he's probably a better rim protector when it comes to the tools as well. Combine that with the fact that AD (despite reaching DPOY levels at his best) probably underachieved as a defender, imagining a full fledged Wemby if he actually maxes out his potential is scary defensively.

Combine that with the fact he has a fluid handle - this is a 7ft+ guy who can hit in-out hesitation crossovers without looking stupid - and projects like a legitimate shooter, the impact can be massive.

Every one of these guys that you want to commit to for 3, 4 years, you have to accept the opportunity costs. The opportunity costs of letting Nance go as a result, of not playing EJ, of less minutes for Trey at the 4, etc etc.

None of these guys (Bagley, Bamba, etc) are worth it to me. I'd take a 4 (out of 10) on a short deal, over a 4 who might be a 6 or a 7 but could just as easily stay a 4, on a longer deal. But I think a lot comes down to your belief in EJ. I dont think he is Herb 2.0 but I do think he is a similar level prospect coming out, and I would rather find out first than lock into a guy for 3 or 4 years that he might simply beat out and now have a bad deal on the books.
    Im incredibly high on EJ. Had him 25 on my board.

I don't think he's as good of a defender as Herb but he's still very good IMO. I buy him as a winning player in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think that more people should watch international basketball, it's revealing. Wemby is the best shotblocking prospect since AD - who at the time was lauded as the best defensive prospect since Bill Russell by some. Now, given that Wembanyama is significantly taller and has a higher standing reach than AD, he's probably a better rim protector when it comes to the tools as well. Combine that with the fact that AD (despite reaching DPOY levels at his best) probably underachieved as a defender, imagining a full fledged Wemby if he actually maxes out his potential is scary defensively.

Combine that with the fact he has a fluid handle - this is a 7ft+ guy who can hit in-out hesitation crossovers without looking stupid - and projects like a legitimate shooter, the impact can be massive.
    Sure sounds like a once in 20 year type prospect. The wild thing is - are Chet and Wembanyama just the beginning of a new wave of supersized skilled wing-bigs? Will the next mega prospect be 7'5" with 8-foot wingspan, guard coordination and core strength? Or a Zion level strength, agility, and skill on a true 7 footer. The future could get ridiculous.

Thread Information