Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Every one of these guys that you want to commit to for 3, 4 years, you have to accept the opportunity costs. The opportunity costs of letting Nance go as a result, of not playing EJ, of less minutes for Trey at the 4, etc etc.

None of these guys (Bagley, Bamba, etc) are worth it to me. I'd take a 4 (out of 10) on a short deal, over a 4 who might be a 6 or a 7 but could just as easily stay a 4, on a longer deal. But I think a lot comes down to your belief in EJ. I dont think he is Herb 2.0 but I do think he is a similar level prospect coming out, and I would rather find out first than lock into a guy for 3 or 4 years that he might simply beat out and now have a bad deal on the books.
    @mcnamara247

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Read this break down from a Magic fan on RealGM

Now who does that sound like?
    Oooh! Oooh! I know, I know!!!!

Season Ticket Holder

If we are talking free agent bigs/Jaxon replacements, what is the market going to be on Jalen Smith? I thought the Suns were too quick to bail on him and he looked pretty good with the Pacers, but they are limited in what they can offer to keep him. He’s still only 21, shows a nice shooting stroke (at least in Indy) and has pretty good length.

Basketball.

If we open a roster spot, I'd be happy with DJ Augustin who I've always liked.

43% from three last year (over 41% last three years) and 38% for his career. Couldn't be more than vet min. Used to be a heady ball handler and rim attacker in his day

Also a an LA native, well what do you know
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-29-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Every one of these guys that you want to commit to for 3, 4 years, you have to accept the opportunity costs. The opportunity costs of letting Nance go as a result, of not playing EJ, of less minutes for Trey at the 4, etc etc.

None of these guys (Bagley, Bamba, etc) are worth it to me. I'd take a 4 (out of 10) on a short deal, over a 4 who might be a 6 or a 7 but could just as easily stay a 4, on a longer deal. But I think a lot comes down to your belief in EJ. I dont think he is Herb 2.0 but I do think he is a similar level prospect coming out, and I would rather find out first than lock into a guy for 3 or 4 years that he might simply beat out and now have a bad deal on the books.
    I like Liddell’s potential so I’d be happy keeping Jax until deadline or doing a one-year rental while assessing EJ’s ability. Don’t think we have to do anything really…

Murray to Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Murray to Hawks
    I really don't understand this move for the Spurs.

Pels fans and writers will (incorrectly) be happy about this. This makes another WC team likely worse than the Lakers. Also, increases the odds of Wemby being in our division. Best case scenario was always the Spurs being mediocre, not blowing it up

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    I really don't understand this move for the Spurs.
    Its brilliant. Dont have to overpay a good, but not great, player in 2 years. And get to tank in a year with an all time draft prospect and potentially draft class. They finally did the smart thing

Its brilliant. Dont have to overpay a good, but not great, player in 2 years. And get to tank in a year with an all time draft prospect and potentially draft class. They finally did the smart thing
    You don't think the rumors of them pursuing Ayton have any legs?

Greg Popyousonofabish

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You don't think the rumors of them pursuing Ayton have any legs?
    Hawks believe they are in the drivers seat for him too, centered on a package involving Collins - either to Phoenix or a 3rd team. I think Suns would take that over whatever the Spurs send their way

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is Poetl gettable? Is that even worth doing if we can?

I don't believe in trading a young all star. You have to be able to build around players. Giving Murray away to just hope and draft another player of his talents doesn't make any sense to me. They don't have a ton of other top tier players so just pay Maurray and keep building a team since you already have this really good piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    I don't believe in trading a young all star. You have to be able to build around players. Giving Murray away to just hope and draft another player of his talents doesn't make any sense to me. They don't have a ton of other top tier players so just pay Maurray and keep building a team since you already have this really good piece.
    How would you feel if I told you Murray was represented by Klutch......

Depends on your parameters for 'a great player'. He made an all star team. Puts up triple doubles on the reg. Defends quite brilliantly. Advanced metrics probably wouldn't favour him because of the shooting inefficiencies

Definitely a faux-franchise player though
    Last edited by AusPel; 06-29-2022 at 04:35 PM.

That is just something you have to deal with. You wouldn't draft the top player if he was represented by Klutch? I think you try to avoid Klutch if you can but you can't in all circumstances.

Hawks gave up on pursuing Ziion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Hawks gave up on pursuing Ziion?
    They did once they found out what the whole league now knows about his next contract. Its done

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Depends on your parameters for 'a great player'. He made an all star team. Puts up triple doubles on the reg. Defends quite brilliantly. Advanced metrics probably wouldn't favour him because of the shooting inefficiencies

Definitely a faux-franchise player though
    I think he is a lesser Jrue and will cap out at a lesser Jrue. Nice, but he's a 3rd piece and you arent getting piece #1 and 2 if he is on your team because he will be just good enough to keep you above all the riff raff. I judge a rivals move by whether or not I want to see them do it as a FO member of the Pelicans, and if I were in the FO right now, I would be upset that we will likely be competing with a very good (as opposed to mediocre) Spurs team in the late 2020's, and I am also upset because it is one more team unlikely to be better than the Lakers next year, and probably the two years after that as well

Thread Information