Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Brunson is a good player, but why are the knicks all in on this type of a player? It would be something if he was that missing piece. That would be a big blow to the mavs though, good thing luka seems to be in good shape this offseason cause he would be carrying the mavs even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Brunson is a good player, but why are the knicks all in on this type of a player? It would be something if he was that missing piece. That would be a big blow to the mavs though, good thing luka seems to be in good shape this offseason cause he would be carrying the mavs even more now.
    I actually think it's a good thing for the Knicks.

They're not all in. They're not offering a max or anything like that. He's getting offered - reportedly - about $20m a year, which is a slight overpay but then, they're the Knicks: they suck. Its about time they stopped taking wild, uncalculated, ridiculous swings are megastar FAs that do not want to go there and just tried to improve. There's value in actually being a respectable franchise that fans can actually support, and this is doubly true if you've spent the lion's share of the last decade being the league's laughing stock.

Sign good players. If you have to overpay a little, who cares. Put good supporting players around your young drafted 'stars' like Barrett and go and win some games. Kyrie Irving is not going to walk through that door, so stop waiting and start improving.
    Basketball.

Chris Haynes was reporting that the knicks will be offering around 110mil for 4yrs.... let's say 27 mil a year, damn....

The knicks have to get rid of Dolan first then maybe they will have a good future in some multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Chris Haynes was reporting that the knicks will be offering around 110mil for 4yrs.... let's say 27 mil a year, damn....

The knicks have to get rid of Dolan first then maybe they will have a good future in some multiverse
    Yeah, that's fine for me. I had misremembered the deal, but I still don't mind it for them. Allstars get max contracts. Brunson isn't an all-star but he's in that group just below it of very solid starter calibre players, and so him getting paid in that tier just below a max makes sense. It's a bit of an overpay but again, Knicks.

They're apparently also in on the Dejounte Murray sweepstakes. I actually think Dejounte Murray + Jalen Brunson + RJ Barrett is a damned solid young trio of ball handlers and scorers to use as the central core. Sure, it will be expensive, but at least they'd win some games.

I think you have to remember that salaries are getting progressively crazier as well. Let's say Brunson gets $27m a year from the Knicks.

That won't even be a top 40 salary next year. He wouldn't even be the highest paid starter on their team, assuming they keep Randle.

I don't think the size of the contract is as noteworthy as the hoops the Knicks have jumped through to offer Brunson said contract. In any event, it's premature to rush to any conclusions about their expenditure of assets until we see the final product.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, that's fine for me. I had misremembered the deal, but I still don't mind it for them. Allstars get max contracts. Brunson isn't an all-star but he's in that group just below it of very solid starter calibre players, and so him getting paid in that tier just below a max makes sense. It's a bit of an overpay but again, Knicks.

They're apparently also in on the Dejounte Murray sweepstakes. I actually think Dejounte Murray + Jalen Brunson + RJ Barrett is a damned solid young trio of ball handlers and scorers to use as the central core. Sure, it will be expensive, but at least they'd win some games.
    If they add in Dejounte as well then that can be a solid group. A 7-10 rank in the east. They wont be winning any series but gets them somewhere at least... such a shame though that a big market like ny has been this bad compared to what the lakers have done all throughout

The Nurkic contract is about to make the JV extension look really really nice

One Pelicans backup PG thorn might be headed to the Knicks. There is another thorn that's also a free agent I'm watching--Tyus Jones.

Memphis will probably throw a nice bag at him to stay but wouldn't be mad if he headed for greener pastures as well.

Especially since Memphis is thinner in their back court initiation than Dallas is should he leave.

I mean, I wouldn't be dis-interested, depending on price.

I mean, I wouldn't be dis-interested, depending on price.
    Wow, interesting.

Orlando really looking like they do not have any thoughts of Bamba on their mind

Zion's head casually at the rim on a no momentum jump off of two feet in the first clip. He's back

Orlando really looking like they do not have any thoughts of Bamba on their mind
    May be an indication of Bamba's asking price.

Harden didn't pick up his option to be a good guy to Morey and all of Philly

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    May be an indication of Bamba's asking price.
    More than Hartenstein but how much. Probably still over Pels budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    More than Hartenstein but how much. Probably still over Pels budget.
    Yeah, I saw an idea somewhere of sending Hayes to Magic for Bamba and fitting Bamba into our TPE that expires 7/7. That would allow us to create another TPE for Hayes (about $6.8 million). I do not see Bamba settling for a contract that starts at our TPE ($6,382,000) as a backup here.

Mo Bamba for a reasonable price wouldn't be a bad gamble. He did shoot the best 3pt%, FT%, and TS% of his career last year, and that 7'10" wingspan ain't going anywhere! Not my first choice, but not a bad Plan B. He has shown slow steady growth as a pro, after an underwhelming start, and has improved in areas like TOs & Fouls. A 7' guy camped out at the three point line, giving Zion room to operate could be very nice for some minutes.

We need at least 1 rim protector. Nance Jr can block shots but he doesn’t scare anybody from going in there. Maybe Mo Bamba won’t either but he the potential to be an eraser on the back end. JV just lets guys score on him down there. Love his offense but man he’s not the best defender.

Lets see the price tag when he eventually signs and then we could debate if it would have been worth it. He aint coming to the Pels
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lets see the price tag when he eventually signs and then we could debate if it would have been worth it. He aint coming to the Pels
    Yeah, I would imagine he will get overpaid based on potential.

The Franchise
    I think I’d be more interested in Bagley if he could be had at a reasonable price. MM mentioned he’d prob want more money and time on the court but maybe he’s got the dog in him to go earn it. I’d love a sign and trade with the pistons maybe even slide in Hayes for a protected first.

Hayes really virtually is Bamba sorta lite

Read this break down from a Magic fan on RealGM

Doesn't fight hard for rebounds, gets lost on D often, does little on offense (bad at setting picks, bad at low post game).

He's a good lob threat and can shoot (kinda streaky though), can block shots well, but just gets overpowered and fails to play with the energy needed to be a winning player, at least that was the case for his first 4 years. Last year definitely showed improvement, but not as much as I'd have liked
    Now who does that sound like?

Thread Information