Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why in the world is SA going to give up Murray for a player the Hawks were contemplating waiving?
    I don't think John Collins has to go to San Antonio. He could be dealt in a three-team trade where it brings back more assets to the Spurs.

Then they can shut it down and go for Wemby.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    I don't think John Collins has to go to San Antonio. He could be dealt in a three-team trade where it brings back more assets to the Spurs.

Then they can shut it down and go for Wemby.
    I'm just glad they waited a year to shut it down. Thanks for Dyson Daniels, bozos

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Hawks are trying to walk away this offseason with Murray and Ayton
    Sneaking in and grabbing Okungwo is the new dream off season for me

I’m curious to see which direction we go. Hypothetically we have the perfect mix of young talent and veteran leadership. And our young talent happens to be defensively savvy (and for those coming from this draft the potential is obviously there and could come soon). I can see us going for maybe another backup big, but I wouldn’t be surprised if all we did was go after a deadeye shooter and roll with what we got barring maybe a couple small moves.

Feels like this off-season going to be interesting. Kyrie to Clippers pls

Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Kyrie is one of the most miserable and dramatic human beings I've ever seen.

Also love the fact that Laker Nation is in shambles because they couldn't sign him for $6M hahaha.

I am sure they will be just as happy with Malik Monk as Kyrie, lololololol
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Kyrie is one of the most miserable and dramatic human beings I've ever seen.

Also love the fact that Laker Nation is in shambles because they couldn't sign him for $6M hahaha.
    It makes me laugh because about 50% of the time, Kyrie is doing cool and good things. He donated tons of food to the hungry in Brooklyn, he donated a ton of money to the WNBA for players who weren't getting paid during the pandemic, he's donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to food banks, etc. All of that is great and very cool of him.

But when it comes to his own NBA career, he can't seem to go more than about 25 minutes without being a melodramatic pain in the rear.

The issue with so many of these guys is their circle and the fact they never hear no. I know many think the issue with Kanye is bipolar combined with his mom dying. But when I watched the doc, I couldn’t get over how many people are around him just nodding their head yes as he is saying insane things

We all are just creatures of habit and keep doing whatever behaviors are reinforced. He has probably been told he was a genius by all the people around him for so long that he sees any criticism as cynical haters because there is no way he can be wrong. He has been told for years by everyone around him that he is always right

I think a market inefficiency this year will be to pray on teams looking to get Wemby and the other studs in the upcoming draft. By that, I mean that at different points this year between 6-8 teams will be looking to actively get worse. The goal should be to help them do so and get a current player at a reduced price in the process. Hawks are calling all over the league trying to do that and might have found a taker in SA. Dont think there will be a ton of sellers now, but in season, once teams see they arent legit playoff threats, the goal will be to tank like they used to 5-10 years ago. Quality players will be given away because the true return will be from the pick rising. Need to be in position to pounce on that, and it might not just come from the teams we suspect will be bad. A team most think will be good might have some injuries early and be in the unique position to get a pick to pair with their star when they return the following year (a la Robinson and Duncan).

Gotta be ready and have contracts to move when that situation presents itself.

I think a market inefficiency this year will be to pray on teams looking to get Wemby and the other studs in the upcoming draft. By that, I mean that at different points this year between 6-8 teams will be looking to actively get worse. The goal should be to help them do so and get a current player at a reduced price in the process. Hawks are calling all over the league trying to do that and might have found a taker in SA. Dont think there will be a ton of sellers now, but in season, once teams see they arent legit playoff threats, the goal will be to tank like they used to 5-10 years ago. Quality players will be given away because the true return will be from the pick rising. Need to be in position to pounce on that, and it might not just come from the teams we suspect will be bad. A team most think will be good might have some injuries early and be in the unique position to get a pick to pair with their star when they return the following year (a la Robinson and Duncan).

Gotta be ready and have contracts to move when that situation presents itself.
    From that logic, then it makes sense to cool off on the Graham, Jax, Temple trade talk,no?

Maybe if I were the GM, but I am not. I don’t think they are going to do that, just saying it would be my path, reading the tea leaves

On paper, it makes complete sense. Clippers need someone who can be a legitimate distributor and lead ball handler and have suffered with having to rely on Reggie Jackson to do it. Wall can't be the number 1 - or even the number 2 - at this stage of his career so going somewhere where he can be the number 3 at best is a really good spot for him.

The thing that clashes with it is this: John Wall has played a total of 72 games in the last four years and has been pretty dreadful in almost all of them. Among the problems are a reduction in his speed - when that was his primary method of advantage creation - and some of the worst shot selection in the entire NBA. Is he capable, at this point, of pulling back on those issues?

If so, big get for the Clippers. If not, he could legitimately create a whole new set of problems.

I dont know how a 7th or 8th man can create legitimate problems. If he is bad, he just gets DNPs

The good from this is that it takes another possible Westbrook trade partner off the table for the Lakers. I dont know who else is even possible outside of Charlotte and maybe a Hayward and Plumlee for Westbrook swap. Outside of that, the Lakers only real path is to run it back and that is just glorious to me

One other thing to keep in mind is the Clips figure to be another huge tax team.

FO's are thinking that 4 or 5 teams could be massively over the cap this season, leading to a collective tax pool of 400-500 million dollars. That could mean somewhere between 15-25 million dollar checks cut to every team not in the tax this season. I know, I know....who cares, its not our money. But that check collected this year goes towards paying future tax bills that Gayle will be willing to pay.

Basketball Guru
    i know im one or two posters who is down for the owner to make money as much as she can to make the team better, so if she can get checks from over the cap teams then here is to her getting paid....

I dont know how a 7th or 8th man can create legitimate problems. If he is bad, he just gets DNPs
    Stars have ego and pull. Remember how KD and Kyrie essentially forced DeAndre Jordan into the starting lineup at the expense of Jarrett Allen a few seasons ago basically just because he's their friend? I have no idea what the relationship situation is with the Clippers - though PG13 is friends with Wall, iirc? - but if Kawhi and/or PG13 want John Wall getting minutes, John Wall is getting minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Most players wouldn't, but Kyrie willingly just gave up millions by refusing to meet vaccine requirements for home games, and he's a known weirdo.

Doesn't mean he will do it, of course, but if anyone would, it's Kyrie.
    That's VERY different than playing for $6 million over $36 million. Like not even remotely comparable.

To nobody's surprise

For some reason I thought he had already

With basically everyone and their mother reporting that Brunson is expected to go to the Knicks on a 4yr/$100m deal, that seems like a legit problem for the Mavs.

They were already a team that struggled heavily to create any effective offense whenever Luka wasn't on the court, and they look to be losing a guy who put up 16/4/5 for them on 50/37/84 splits. 58%TS last year, 61%TS the year before; 24%AST to 10%TOV, which is good, and the team has been consistently better with him on the court than with him off. Top 75 player last year according to EPM; the 3rd highest player on the Mavs and the only other guard for the Mavs (aside from Luka) who was in the top 130 in the NBA for EPM.

Unless they can fill that void - a pretty significant one - Dinwiddie will have to level up or else the Mavs might be in a little bit of trouble.

Thread Information