Farewell, Tomas
    Basketball.

And Kyrie is on his way out of Brooklyn officially

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Let chaos reign.

Houston benefits massively if Brooklyn blows it up

That's not good for us

Brooklyn won’t “blow it up” - there will not be a reset and tank

I just put money down on Kyrie being a Clipper. Makes the most sense IMO. Powell, Morris, and something else. Nets would still be good. I mean, look how far KD took them with nothing in 2021. Add Powell, Morris, and Ben Simmons to that team and they beat the Bucks in that series. Clips go all in on Kyrie-Kawhi-PG trip.
    Motivation will be to keep him from Lakers as much as anything. That’s my bet right now. Kyrie a Clipper, KD stays
    @mcnamara247

My bet is the Nets say “give us a chance with a fresh roster and no drama. If you aren’t happy, we will get you where you want to go in Feb or next June, but we think we can put a great team around you. Let’s give it a try for a year.”

Plus KD won’t look like a diva, asking out immediately and trying to ride someone else’s coattails. Would be my bet of how it plays out short term

The crazy trade that makes sense for everyone is something like

Lakers get: Kyrie and Ben Simmons

Hornets get: Westbrook

Nets get: AD and Hayward

Other small things to make salaries work but that is the core of the deal. Lakers get Kyrie and another Klutch dude. Hornets get off long term money. Nets get two guys, that if healthy, fit really good with KD. That’s the chaos we need

What makes this situation interesting, imo, is the fact that Kyrie is well documented at this point to be very much willing to leave cash on the table. He forfeits money all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

What makes this situation interesting, imo, is the fact that Kyrie is well documented at this point to be very much willing to leave cash on the table. He forfeits money all the time.
    Hope they Lakers do not get him for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The crazy trade that makes sense for everyone is something like

Lakers get: Kyrie and Ben Simmons

Hornets get: Westbrook

Nets get: AD and Hayward

Other small things to make salaries work but that is the core of the deal. Lakers get Kyrie and another Klutch dude. Hornets get off long term money. Nets get two guys, that if healthy, fit really good with KD. That’s the chaos we need
    As weird as this looks it actually works for everyone. The Lakers would never trade Davis though (think the optics are too bad). I would prefer this for our remaining Lakers picks though as Kyrie is a complete basket case.

It's a coin flip. On the one hand, Kyrie has shown that he's very volatile and is totally willing to just sit out dozens of games in a year out of stubbornness and doesn't care about losing the money for it. Similarly, Ben Simmons has shown that he's also willing to take a lot of time off for reasons that - real or false - indicate a lack of reliability in a basketball context. If they both go to LA, AD and Westbrook leave, and then both Simmons and Kyrie continue being awkward nutcases, then that's brilliant for us because not only does it continue maxing out the assets we got from them but it also means that Brooklyn are likely to be at least decent going forward, minimising the value of their picks to Houston.

The downside is that Simmons is Klutch, which as we all know is just Lebron's organisation, and if he goes back and plays and actually contributes, and Kyrie decides to actually play again, then the Lakers are a solid playoff team and their assets become hugely devalued to us.

Very boom or bust, from a Pels perspective. It would either work out great for us, or just totally annihilate the value of the remaining LA assets.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hope they Lakers do not get him for peanuts.
    It's the Lakers. Of course they will.

Kyrie could opt in to his PO and get traded to Lakers, meaning he doesn't have to take a pay cut.

Of course, Brooklyn would need incentive to complete the transaction

Can they add teams to Vegas and Seattle already... I'm ready for us and Memphis to get relocated to the East. These West shenanigans are annoying.

Kyrie playing for $6 million to join a superteam is absurd

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Kyrie playing for $6 million to join a superteam is absurd
    I agree and I think the league would intervene just like when we wanted to trade CP3
    Last edited by PelicanProf; 06-27-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    I agree and I think the league would intervene just like when we wanted to trade CP3
    What recourse does the league have if the player is willing to sign a free agent contract for that little? I don't think the league would like it, but I don't see them intervening

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    What recourse does the league have if the player is willing to sign a free agent contract for that little? I don't think the league would like it, but I don't see them intervening
    None, and there shouldn't be.

Personally, I don't want Kyrie in LA. It's not in the best interests of the Pelicans, and I have to admit, there's some spite in it too.

But the reality is that players are allowed to accept whatever contracts they're comfortable with. If Kyrie would rather take $6m to play in LA than $36m to play in Brooklyn that is literally nobody else's decision but his own, and that's how it should stay.

Think about the logistics of trying to do otherwise. The league would have to either decide where every player is allowed to sign and for how much, or they'd have to set some kind of ranking system in place where players who are too good suddenly aren't allowed to be free agents and instead can only become SEMI-free agents with restrictions on what deals they're allowed to sign on top of the existing restrictions regarding minimum and maximum contracts. A tiered system where, if you're a top 20 player - and the league would now have to define what a top 20 player is - you have a completely different set of possible contract conditions. It would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    The league did not intervene. The owner (which happened to be the league) vetoed the trade.

Yeah no player worth $40mm will be willing to go play for $6mm.

To us it seems like players make lots of money, but those guys have been in circles where their little basketball contracts are peasant money.

I can see him being a knick before he's ever a laker.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah no player worth $40mm will be willing to go play for $6mm.

To us it seems like players make lots of money, but those guys have been in circles where their little basketball contracts are peasant money.

I can see him being a knick before he's ever a laker.
    Most players wouldn't, but Kyrie willingly just gave up millions by refusing to meet vaccine requirements for home games, and he's a known weirdo.

Doesn't mean he will do it, of course, but if anyone would, it's Kyrie.

Wonder if Hawks are still interested in Ayton and if Suns still want to give him up for the right price. Hawks could be building something there.

Hawks are trying to walk away this offseason with Murray and Ayton

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Hawks are trying to walk away this offseason with Murray and Ayton
    Why in the world is SA going to give up Murray for a player the Hawks were contemplating waiving?

Thread Information