Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Pelicans 2022-23 Offseason Thread

The season is over. What a season it was, from the awful start to the ferocious clobbering of teams through the Play In to force a playoff series. We then took the league best Suns to 6 games, and could easily have gone to 7 or even won if there had been just a few shots go differently. It was close and we gave them all they could handle.

But now it's over and it's the offseason.

What changes does the team need, in your view? Do we keep the Lakers pick or trade it? Any trade targets, or possible free agents you have your eyes on (with or without concern for the cap, your choice)?

All the ideas can come out. Positive thoughts from a positive season.
    Basketball.

Laker 1st for Hart and dump Graham, as long as not top 4

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You can't trade the #8 pick for Hart ! Forget Hart!
    Use the Lakers pick on another young stud.
    Trade Jax, Graham, Temple, and Kira combined salaries + future pick(s) for another real player or two.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Salary is kind of bloated.... $7 million under the Luxury tax line right before Zion's extension.

Get a handle on the Zion situation first and foremost.

Herb doing his thing everyday to get better.

Trey needs to be working on his handles and shot creation in the offseason.

Hayes should probably not get into legal trouble so we can move him

Graham... Please don't pull a John Wall and get injured.

Draft is probably Mathurin, Sharpe, or shoot up in the lottery to get Smith

Figure out a way to offload Graham and Temple without costing picks. If you can get invovled in a trade to salary dump. please. If we had to attached Kira and Hayes. I would be okay with that. I hope to keep atleast one of them.

After looking at vet bigs FA. It's hot garbage.

Trade market Big. Also hot garbage, but there is Myles Turner on a rebuilding Pacer team with value at an all-time low because he only played 40 games the past two years.

So, I think no matter what... I don't think we can fix the defensive big position. Which is a problematic situation.I do want to get Jonas minutes a bit under controlled to keep him fresh and not caught in so many mismatches or run him into the ground.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-28-2022 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    You can't trade the #8 pick for Hart ! Forget Hart!
    Use the Lakers pick on another young stud.
    Trade Jax, Graham, Temple, and Kira combined salaries + future pick(s) for another real player or two.
    Hart might be the most overrated Pelican of the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You Aussie are some strange folks.... queenslands or Wales... I forget which one is the weird ones... I think it's cane toad country that's weird folk.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Luka is flopping all over and the Jazz are getting the Pels treatment. This is absolutely astonishing how crazy this is. Both games have been turned from the refs. That Donaghy documentary will be very interesting.

If the Pels can get a PG, they are going to be lethal. I really want Brunson.

Wendell Carter Jr is another name and Orlando is really schizo when it comes to roster management. So... he could be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You Aussie are some strange folks.... queenslands or Wales... I forget which one is the weird ones... I think it's cane toad country that's weird folk.
    They are both weirdo's.

I'm from Melbourne, the best city in Australia.

I think it?s pretty obvious after the sloppy turnovers that did us in this game we need a facilitator at PG. Jose can start in my eyes but would prefer him off the bench or starting against the top points as needed. We need Lonzo Ball basically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I think it?s pretty obvious after the sloppy turnovers that did us in this game we need a facilitator at PG. Jose can start in my eyes but would prefer him off the bench or starting against the top points as needed. We need Lonzo Ball basically

over 2/3 the league needs a great facilitator... Malcolm Brogdon is a name, but he should a be considered a back up at this point due to injury concerns and ridiculously expensive

And don't mention Ricky Rubio.

You're already paying CJ 30 million and he's gonna have an offseason to build himself to being a full time point. So, give it a chance. He literally came in and posted career best assist numbers at 6. Let's see what he does over the off season. I think he can easily be a 7.5 assist guy next season with a real offseason plan.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-28-2022 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    They are both weirdo's.

I'm from Melbourne, the best city in Australia.
    I've got family in Perth who might dispute that

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hart might be the most overrated Pelican of the last 5 years.
    I don't know. One particular Pelican Player who has played less than 1/2 of his team's games over the last three years and commands superstar status is giving 'lowly' JHart a run for his money, regardless of what your Ouija Board of numbers say. What was that player's Win Share this year for the Pelicans? I bet JHart's was better and he was traded mid-season.
    February 11, 2024

"The Day...Pelicans Roost...DIED."

RIP Pelicans Roost

over 2/3 the league needs a great facilitator... Malcolm Brogdon is a name, but he should a be considered a back up at this point due to injury concerns.

And don't mention Ricky Rubio.

You're already paying CJ 30 million and he's gonna have an offseason to build himself to being a full time point. So, give it a chance. He literally came in and posted career best assist numbers at 6. Let's see what he does over the off season. I think he can easily be a 7.5 assist guy next season with a real offseason plan.
    So are you saying lineup next year should be CJ/ Herb/ Ingram/Zion/ JV?

Who has the handles in that lineup? Perfect starting core except for handles and facilitating. Just something to think about. You want Herb in lineup for perimeter defense alone. Who do you sacrifice for more ?second team? minutes so that we can get some more turnoverless turns?

So are you saying lineup next year should be CJ/ Herb/ Ingram/Zion/ JV?

Who has the handles in that lineup? Perfect starting core except for handles and facilitating. Just something to think about. You want Herb in lineup for perimeter defense alone. Who do you sacrifice for more ?second team? minutes so that we can get some more turnoverless turns?

Line up are gonna be match-up dependent.

Zion avg 7.2 assist a game
    Bi avg 5.6 assist a game
    Cj avg 5.8 assist a game

How much more facilitating do you need? CJ is moving to point so.. his number are gonna jump up at least 1.2

Keep Lakers pick.

Basic pick and rolls gave the Pelicans fits in the playoffs and with Zion, defending is going to get even harder. I’d really like to just keep throwing switchable two way players at the wall and seeing what sticks. Good drafting philosophy to target those anyway.

If anyone would give anything of value for Jax, I hope the Pelicans bite.

Don’t expect too many changes though.
    Last edited by Pelifan; 04-28-2022 at 11:26 PM.

We are legit $7 million from becoming a tax team.

I get what you want... You want a CP3 Point God. Well, there is none available. There just isn't. You asking for something that doesn't exist in much supply and there is no available.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-28-2022 at 11:27 PM.

Line up are gonna be match-up dependent.

Zion avg 7.2 assist a game
    Bi avg 5.6 assist a game
    Cj avg 5.8 assist a game

How much more facilitating do you need?
    Not just facilitating. Moving the ball up the court and not turning it over. I mean the referenced players can do it 8/10 times but it gets real during playoffs. We need a playoffs Rando.

Not just facilitating. Moving the ball up the court and not turning it over. I mean the referenced players can do it 8/10 times but it gets real during playoffs. We need a playoffs Rando.

There is no playoff Rondo. You're asking for something that doesn't exist anymore. If it did exist... it's not available.

It's not like we didn't try.

We got Ball and he couldn't run halfcourt.
    We draft Kira and he plays too timid and never clicks.

You can't just wake up and find a point god. They are only a handful of point gods that exist in a given generation.

There is no playoff Rondo. You're asking for something that doesn't exist anymore. If it did exist... it's not available.

It's not like we didn't try.

We got Ball and he couldn't run halfcourt.
    We draft Kira and he plays too timid and never clicks.

You can't just wake up and find a point god. They are only a handful of point gods that exist in a given generation.
    Jose is almost exactly that as UDFA. Can?t say they don?t exist. I?m ok with Jose being that but hard to bench CJ/ Herb/ Ingram/ and Zion for him

Utah Jazz are about to blow that team up. Anyone you want ?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    Conley

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    I would trade back in draft and get Conley. Then get Zach Collins in FA.

Jose is almost exactly that as UDFA. Can?t say they don?t exist. I?m ok with Jose being that but hard to bench CJ/ Herb/ Ingram/ and Zion for him

Jose isn't, tho. I don't understand your logic if you think Jose is a point God. He had 9 assist this whole series. Jose is probably 2 or 3 years from every being a true point.

Couldn't agree more.

In the '17-'18 season, Rajon Rondo averaged 12.2 Assists in the playoffs (nine games). Because he was on the ball, Jrue Holiday averaged a career high 23.7 points in the playoffs. A Rajon Rondo is exactly what this team needs. He would get Zion off....BI off....JV off....CJ off....TM3 off. You already have premium stuff; now you need a swizzle stick to stir the drink.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-29-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Thread Information