Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: October 28th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 3-1

Pelicans October 28th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 3-1

Last game the Pelicans picked up their third win, something the team didn't achieve last year until November 19th. Tonight, we see if the record can improve to 4-1 as we travel to Phoenix.

The good news first: we know that this team, on paper, can beat Phoenix. We know that because when we played them in the playoffs last year, we did beat them a few times and even some of the losses were close. Combine that with growing discontent among their roster - neither Jae Crowder nor Ayton seem to want to be there - and the fact that Chris Paul looks like someone stole his ability to shoot, we should be feeling even more confident.

The bad news: Our roster has a huge amount of injury warnings and it's highly probably that we'll be missing some big names. Ingram is the obvious one: he's just out, in concussion protocol, and won't be back for at least a few more games. After that, Zion, Herb, Jose, CJ, and dyson are all questionable with various sprains, contusions, and hyperextensions.

I'll put it simply: if all of those guys are out, we're losing this game. That shouldn't shock anyone. If maybe one of them is out, or even 2 depending on which, there's a chance. If they're all back, we should win.

So let's see what happens with the injuries and see if 4-1 and is a possibility.
    Basketball.

BI being perpetually injured is becoming a problem

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    BI being perpetually injured is becoming a problem
    Ridiculous. Brain injuries can't be lumped into a category with hamstring injuries. Would you make the same argument if he had the flu and couldn't make the West Coast swing?

Anyway, assuming everyone plays except BI, what's your starting lineup? I think we start Trey and not Naji.

If AD got brushed in the face and missed 4+ games would we not make jokes?

My thing is always the same. Be consistent.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Agreed, and I was ragging on AD being injured a few days ago. At the same time, in the back of my head, I kept thinking to myself "Kind of like BI, right?". Then I was like...yeah, kind of like BI...
    Last edited by Chris; 10-28-2022 at 10:38 AM.

And BI is a great guy, great player, etc

But if we cannnot be honest about the faults, what’s the point of discussion. We can all sunshine pump on our own at home

Season Ticket Holder
    I would never mock a player with a brain injury. I am consistent. It is not a "fault" to miss games from head trauma.

If BI missed this West Coast trip due to a hamstring, I'd be right there with you all. There is a clear distinction here. You can either agree with me or not. But don't say I'm not being honest.

I think concussions should be taken seriously, but this isn't football. You're not taking the same shots to the head. I don't see any reason for BI to not be out there. He took what appears to be a backhand to the face. His head barely moved backwards. His absence is starting to give me Kawhi Leonard vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    I would never mock a player with a brain injury. I am consistent. It is not a "fault" to miss games from head trauma.

If BI missed this West Coast trip due to a hamstring, I'd be right there with you all. There is a clear distinction here. You can either agree with me or not. But don't say I'm not being honest.
    He didn’t mock him. Nobody did. He said the injuries are becoming a problem

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Imagine someone saying BI is a great guy and player, but getting concussed is a "fault". Then read post #6. This is the fool people ask what's going on with the team despite him being wrong over and over and over about "inside info" and insight.

Season Ticket Holder
    He didn’t mock him. Nobody did. He said the injuries are becoming a problem
    I used the word "mock" because you said we'd all "make jokes" about AD. I was just reacting to that hypothetical.

I know that no one is mocking or joking about BI's concussion.

Would be nice for Zion to have his first 40 point game. Assuming he plays.

It's not like Phoenix has an answer. They are even weaker inside than they were a few months ago.

The league and teams are liable for brain damage and future implications so of course they are going to take the cautious approach with any head injury. Probably overly cautious but that is the way every sport has been for a while. Nobody wants to get sued.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I think concussions should be taken seriously, but this isn't football. You're not taking the same shots to the head. I don't see any reason for BI to not be out there. He took what appears to be a backhand to the face. His head barely moved backwards. His absence is starting to give me Kawhi Leonard vibes.

That is seriously FRAGILE. It is straight up laughable to miss 4 games because of that. Embarrassing...

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    That is seriously FRAGILE. It is straight up laughable to miss 4 games because of that. Embarrassing...
    Human bodies are strange. There are reports of people falling from planes without any parachutes and surviving, and it's equally as easy to find stories or even video of people flat out dying because they fell at a slightly weird angle. You cannot judge how severe the impact of an injury is, especially on the brain, just from looking at it from the outside.

If there is a concussion, there's a concussion. It's totally inconsequential how that concussion happened; whether he was slapped in the face or wailed on with a 2x4, the reality is that a concussion can be dangerous and it's always best to play it safe with the brain. Because it's the brain. You don't get a spare, and if it's ruined you're out of luck.

Being a fan of true crime, I've seen numerous stories of people getting shot or axed in the skull, only to survive and go on to lead a normal life.

Then there are others that die instantly.

I dont blame them for holding him out or want to minimize the severity of a concussion.

But I am putting BI into that category of players that seem to have the worst luck with injuries. He just missed almost all pre-season. It's become a recurring theme.

He's also never going to get his proper recognition as a player due to this lack of availability. They've played 3 nationally televised games this year so far and he's missed them all. About to miss another one.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar

Agreed to an extent. But this is a bit different - the league's concussion protocol is just that: a protocol. Not much the Pels or BI can do.

If you haven't read the concussion protocol you should. It's out of his and the teams hands. He is not able to return until he can pass a succession of neurological tests that indicate signs of concussion. Meaning he still has a concussion according to the testing. This is a big deal and those of you talking crap about it not "looking" like a bad injury are obviously clueless about mtbi. If you don't know what mtbi means then shut up.

Rant off

Basketball Guru
    is it fair to say , air travel and concussions dont mix?.....now can we get back to the sunshine of how good our team is and how this game will go...

Basically all of the above. It’s more of a formality if anything due to the legal troubles it can bring down the line. This is one of those injuries that doesn’t fall into that ‘tough it out’ category.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought your head had to get hit in order to get a concussion. I didn’t know you could get one from a slap to the face. Learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

This is fu**ing terrible. 4 games for a slight slap to the face?

Lakers won the trade

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but I thought your head had to get hit in order to get a concussion. I didn’t know you could get one from a slap to the face. Learn something new every day.
    Your face is on your head.

[QUOTE=Pelicanidae;1589665]Your face is on your head.[/QUOTE

Good point, but I guess I was referring to the top or especially trauma to the back of the head. I’ve just never seen anyone receive a concussion with a slap to the face. Now I have.

Thread Information