Pelicans Report

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post
    I'm just stating the reality behind getting Curry with Kyrie or Harris with Kyrie to get rid of Westbrook.
    Some owners would say sure why not pay an additional $43.8 million for Joe Harris after a season of ankle issues that resulted in surgery, the other owner in LA & the one over Golden State are two of them, Lakers are not.
    I actually think Golden State are starting to reach the point where it's getting too much. Reports say that a huge part of their reasoning for not sticking with Payton is that they just could not stomach the tax implications. They're up to the point where they're paying more every year in tax than the entire salary cap, and now have done so for multiple years. Sure, they absolutely could afford it, but with 4 rings in the last decade they might be reaching the point where going to the absolute margins of expenditure for depth isn't as attractive.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I actually think Golden State are starting to reach the point where it's getting too much. Reports say that a huge part of their reasoning for not sticking with Payton is that they just could not stomach the tax implications. They're up to the point where they're paying more every year in tax than the entire salary cap, and now have done so for multiple years. Sure, they absolutely could afford it, but with 4 rings in the last decade they might be reaching the point where going to the absolute margins of expenditure for depth isn't as attractive.
    $117 million in tax in 2020 season(tax lottery team at that)
    $170 million in 2021 season
    $70 million in 2022 season

YIKES.

This is interesting, although I'm sure it's being aggregated from either draft night trade conversation or part of a Durant offer. Still shows their desire for a volume shooter/scorer off the bench.

Lol - we have made offers of Hayes and either Temple or Graham (or just Hayes) for almost every two guard in the league l. Hadn’t even heard Cam but it’s no surprise
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Lol - we have made offers of Hayes and either Temple or Graham (or just Hayes) for almost every two guard in the league l. Hadn’t even heard Cam but it’s no surprise
    So, we are specifically targeting a two guard?

I wonder if we're targeting any backup 5s

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    I wonder if we're targeting any backup 5s
    I get the sense they are totally fine with Nance as the backup 5. They are looking for a shooting guard, with specific emphasis on the shooting and less on the guard

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I get the sense they are totally fine with Nance as the backup 5. They are looking for a shooting guard, with specific emphasis on the shooting and less on the guard
    Ironically, Devonte Graham and Jaxson Hayes for Eric Gordon is the most perfect trade ever constructed on paper; but I just don't think there's any chance they would bring back EG

Thank you! Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfox View Post
    Thank you! Good to know.
    That's not to say that a move for a big is off the table, but I don't think it is first priority. They love Nance

If all other things are equal, would you rather Buddy Hield or Duncan Robinson on their current contracts?

If all other things are equal, would you rather Buddy Hield or Duncan Robinson on their current contracts?
    Hield, too many years left on Duncan’s contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Hield, too many years left on Duncan’s contract.
    Would have to agree. Hield's contract could be more useful in a potential deal after next season.

Gimme Duncan. The Hield contract is better but the human is not. When he was here, he was so selfish in ways I cant get into and the staff was happy to move him. Duncan would come in here humbly and do whatever was asked and I believe could be a major weapon again in a very specific role. But again, this all comes down to Mrs. Benson's willingness to pay significant luxury tax over the next 5 years. If I have to shed other things because of Robinson, give me nothing (over Buddy), but if all it means is a bigger tax bill, then give me Duncan

Gimme Duncan. The Hield contract is better but the human is not. When he was here, he was so selfish in ways I cant get into and the staff was happy to move him. Duncan would come in here humbly and do whatever was asked and I believe could be a major weapon again in a very specific role. But again, this all comes down to Mrs. Benson's willingness to pay significant luxury tax over the next 5 years. If I have to shed other things because of Robinson, give me nothing (over Buddy), but if all it means is a bigger tax bill, then give me Duncan
    Duncan is not a player I would go into the tax for multiple years for. I would search elsewhere for a shorter/cheaper option if they did not want Buddy.

You learn something new every day. Always thought he was a humble dude.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    You learn something new every day. Always thought he was a humble dude.
    Maybe the furthest from humble that FO had ever seen, and thats saying A LOT

Have to assume the Spurs will try to get off of J-Rich as soon as possible if they are truly going all in on Wenby. How would we feel about Graham, Temple, and a lotto protected 1st for J-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Duncan is not a player I would go into the tax for multiple years for. I would search elsewhere for a shorter/cheaper option if they did not want Buddy.
    My thinking is that we could rehab his value and then move him for value. Like, imagine you move Graham and Temple for him. Now, he plays 16-20 mpg when we are healthy, 25 when there are some injuries and he just shoots flames. Old Duncan Robinson running off ball, getting wide open looks and splash. Now, when it comes time, if you want to avoid the tax or lessen the bill, you could move him easier than if you tried to offload Graham. Its something OKC does brilliantly - buy low, put them in a good light, sell for positive value

Have to assume the Spurs will try to get off of J-Rich as soon as possible if they are truly going all in on Wenby. How would we feel about Graham, Temple, and a lotto protected 1st for J-Rich
    Gross. And I think J Rich helps them get closer to Wemby the more he plays. He definitely aint winning them a bunch of games lol

Gross. And I think J Rich helps them get closer to Wemby the more he plays. He definitely aint winning them a bunch of games lol
    I was of the opinion that he helped get us that Lakers pick down the stretch last season. He really shot the ball well.

The longer you scroll through SG contracts, the more palatable DG's contract becomes

My thinking is that we could rehab his value and then move him for value. Like, imagine you move Graham and Temple for him. Now, he plays 16-20 mpg when we are healthy, 25 when there are some injuries and he just shoots flames. Old Duncan Robinson running off ball, getting wide open looks and splash. Now, when it comes time, if you want to avoid the tax or lessen the bill, you could move him easier than if you tried to offload Graham. Its something OKC does brilliantly - buy low, put them in a good light, sell for positive value
    A bit more risky for Pels as it involves paying tax. His last year is only 50% guaranteed, but still nearly $10 million. If things do not work out well, you are either stuck with him (and paying repeater taxes at some point) or having to attach assets to unload him. Not sure I would take the risk.

The longer you scroll through SG contracts, the more palatable DG's contract becomes
    I agree. I was not that impressed at potential options. Beasley may be the best if there was a way to get into the trade before finalized.

I would only move DG if I dont need to send a pick out in the process. The fastest way to that is finding the team that thinks Hayes has potential. Like, if Ainge and Hardy think Hayes can be the next Robert Williams, I would move those two for Beasley. But the key to it all is finding someone who values Hayes. Because you cant give up a pick to get off DG if you just gave up #15 to get him

Thread Information