Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Jose isn't, tho. I don't understand your logic if you think Jose is a point God. He had 9 assist this whole series. Jose is probably 2 or 3 years from every being a true point.
    I was thinking more handles but you?re right. He gets stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    They are both weirdo's.

I'm from Melbourne, the best city in Australia.
    I recently learned about Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant.

Yeah yall got our Florida weirdos beat by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

In the '17-'18 season, Rajon Rondo averaged 11.2 Assists in the playoffs (nine games). Because he was on the ball, Jrue Holiday averaged a career high 23.7 points in the playoffs. A Rajon Rondo is exactly what this team needs. He would get Zion off....BI off....JV off....CJ off....TM3 off. You already have premium stuff; now you need a swizzle stick to stir the drink.
    I agree. Can?t thumbs up so consider this as just that?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely could use an active big that can defend in space and rim protect.

I'd be willing to see what kind of growth we get out of Jaxson and roll with Nance for another year. But if the opportunity is there to upgrade then upgrade.

Shooting still needs to be addressed. But then again if you can get 60+ games out of Zion, it's not as big of a need. CJ is a shooter.

I just want to wait and see where this lottery pick lands. Not totally against Mathurin if it remains at 8. But there are probably better options if the pick is moved.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I recently learned about Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant.

Yeah yall got our Florida weirdos beat by a country mile.
    Look up Snowtown, Katherine Knight, and Tracey Wiggington for more Australian true crime weirdness.

Florida remains unbeaten though. Ted Bundy did some of his killings there, The Gainesville Ripper, Aileen Wuornos, the dude who went around stealing toilets from people's houses.

Not that Louisiana is devoid of its own stories. Ronald Dominique, Nathan Code, Derrick Todd Lee, Sean Gillis, Russell Ellwood, the Axeman of New Orleans - hell, even John Muhammad, the D.C. Sniper, was born in Baton Rouge.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Definitely could use an active big that can defend in space and rim protect.

I'd be willing to see what kind of growth we get out of Jaxson and roll with Nance for another year. But if the opportunity is there to upgrade then upgrade.

Shooting still needs to be addressed. But then again if you can get 60+ games out of Zion, it's not as big of a need. CJ is a shooter.

I just want to wait and see where this lottery pick lands. Not totally against Mathurin if it remains at 8. But there are probably better options if the pick is moved.
    If I knew for sure that he wasn't broken between the ears, Ben Simmons would be a perfect fit for this team. You don't need his offense, though he is a lifetime .560 shooter (15.9 per game). But he is a premiere facilitator and lockdown defender. Could you imagine him and Herb running at guard together? Nobody would break through that 'mouse trap'. He could also back up Zion at the 4 as he has averaged eight rebounds a game while playing down low. Now the three-ball isn't his game, but it wouldn't have to be.

Anyone watched Minnesota? I'd be interested in Zion + JV for KAT and Vanderbilt

KAT
    Vanderbilt
    BI
    Herb
    CJ

Just a thought, super unlikely though.

If Zion signs his extension, which he will, I really hope that the Pels dont do anything other than signing their 2022 pick and adding two 2 way guys.

Then before the trade deadline look to move Hayes, Graham and Temple.

That's 23.5M to use on a stud or 2 good role players for the playoffs in 2023.

Anyone have an idea as to what Zions contract will look like per year if he gets the max?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    BPA at 8th or whatever the pick will be.

Anyone have an idea as to what Zions contract will look like per year if he gets the max?
    Luka's rookie extension, which starts next season, is 5 years/$207m
    Trae's, which starts next season as well, is 5yr/$175m, with an option for bonuses up to $207m if he makes All NBA

So basically, think something in the region of 5yr/$207m. Which is about $40m a year.

Personally, if I were in Griff's position, I'd see what Zion's camp requests in terms of their own situation and potentially tailor my response to that. Like, if he wants a 5th year player option and a 15% trade kicker (both of which Luka has, for example) then I'd see if I could get him to take 5yr/$175m with bonuses for minimum games played. Like, if he plays at least 70 games per season it goes up to the $207m.

Alternatively, if he's willing to just take the deal flat - no trade kicker, no player option - I'd just offer the full thing. Unfortunately that's the market for the rookie extensions at the minute: Michael Porter Jr just got a 5yr/$172m with it going up to $207m if he gets all NBA, and his health issues are even worse than Zion's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Trae's, which starts next season as well, is 5yr/$175m, with an option for bonuses up to $207m if he makes All NBA

So basically, think something in the region of 5yr/$207m. Which is about $40m a year.

Personally, if I were in Griff's position, I'd see what Zion's camp requests in terms of their own situation and potentially tailor my response to that. Like, if he wants a 5th year player option and a 15% trade kicker (both of which Luka has, for example) then I'd see if I could get him to take 5yr/$175m with bonuses for minimum games played. Like, if he plays at least 70 games per season it goes up to the $207m.

Alternatively, if he's willing to just take the deal flat - no trade kicker, no player option - I'd just offer the full thing. Unfortunately that's the market for the rookie extensions at the minute: Michael Porter Jr just got a 5yr/$172m with it going up to $207m if he gets all NBA, and his health issues are even worse than Zion's.
    Man... I'm kind of worried about this contract extension going to toxic, now.

This is just how rookie extensions are now, in a lot of cases. Like I said, this is the kind of money you have to pay for MPJ, who is not as good as Zion and has worse health issues. It's also what you have to pay for SGA, who is also getting this level of deal, and is - again - not as good as Zion (though his health has been better of course).

Even the good deals are pretty expensive; Mikal Bridges rookie extension for Phoenix is $23m a year and that's considered a bargain in today's NBA. To be the 3rd or 4th best player on their team.

If he isn't 'all in' he will be traded before it becomes toxic.

You also have to be careful.
    Its a bit of a slap in the face if he is getting paid 40M per and he doesn't even play and BI is only getting 30M per.

If he isn't 'all in' he will be traded before it becomes toxic.
    Maybe Griff is gonna lowball him so he can do that.

You also have to be careful.
    Its a bit of a slap in the face if he is getting paid 40M per and he doesn't even play and BI is only getting 30M per.
    Sadly, I don't think you'll have much success convincing someone to be paid under market value for the sake of someone else's ego.

The issue about him potentially not playing is why I would like, if possible, to get some protections in there. Minimum games played, for example. Hell, Memphis has a term in Jaren Jackson's contract that allows them to flat out waive him and void the contract if his knee injury completely takes him out. I don't think there's any chance in hell Zion signs anything like that, but there are options the team can explore.

Just as you point out that you have to be careful about BI's ego, you have to be careful about Zion's too. No use alienating him by lowballing him when he knows full well what everyone else in the league is getting paid.

If I have to listen to people tell me Pelicans got a 26.3% of getting a top 4 pick... I'm going to lose my mind. Odds don't work in 400%. It's 100%. It's 6.5% per pick we land in the top 4. They don't add up. They average out. Every pick is the same odds. Have more picks at the same same odds don't give you relatively more odds. You're adding them up to make a much bigger number than what it truly is..

6% - 6.3% - 6.7% - 7.2%

Those are odds of the top 4 picks. Which averages out to the true odds 6.5% in the top 4.

If some was to ask the cumulative odds of all 4 picks. It's 26.3% out of 4 control simulations. It's really silly. It's just grossly misleading, because it's out of 400%. But it's 4 seperate simulation.

You can't add the odds together to get true odds unless you labeled that's clearly out of 400%.

It's frustrating and misleading and empty numbers
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-29-2022 at 01:27 AM.

Sadly, I don't think you'll have much success convincing someone to be paid under market value for the sake of someone else's ego.

The issue about him potentially not playing is why I would like, if possible, to get some protections in there. Minimum games played, for example. Hell, Memphis has a term in Jaren Jackson's contract that allows them to flat out waive him and void the contract if his knee injury completely takes him out. I don't think there's any chance in hell Zion signs anything like that, but there are options the team can explore.

Just as you point out that you have to be careful about BI's ego, you have to be careful about Zion's too. No use alienating him by lowballing him when he knows full well what everyone else in the league is getting paid.
    Oh I am not saying that is what they should do.
    I was just saying that it is risky.
    I think this is BI's team and eventually Zion will be gone and the pieces they get for him will add to BI's team.

Oh I am not saying that is what they should do.
    I was just saying that it is risky.
    I think this is BI's team and eventually Zion will be gone and the pieces they get for him will add to BI's team.
    I think if this is BI's team and he's the best player on the team, it's not a championship team. That's my personal view. It would take yet another leap from Ingram for me to change my mind on that and while he's taken two and proven me wrong in the past, I think we're getting a little greedy if we expect him to do it yet again. It's a lot to bet on.

I think we offer Zion the max, and he takes it, and we're all happy to have done so. That's my prediction.

Create a time machine and rewind back to the 2016 draft to draft Jamal Murray

Really don't understand why people are obsessed with trading this Lakers pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Really don't understand why people are obsessed with trading this Lakers pick.
    If you are going to dump Graham for a better role player. Do it without future picks

If I have to listen to people tell me Pelicans got a 26.3% of getting a top 4 pick... I'm going to lose my mind. Odds don't work in 400%. It's 100%. It's 6.5% per pick we land in the top 4. They don't add up. They average out. Every pick is the same odds. Have more picks at the same same odds don't give you relatively more odds. You're adding them up to make a much bigger number than what it truly is..

6% - 6.3% - 6.7% - 7.2%

Those are odds of the top 4 picks. Which averages out to the true odds 6.5% in the top 4.

If some was to ask the cumulative odds of all 4 picks. It's 26.3% out of 4 control simulations. It's really silly. It's just grossly misleading, because it's out of 400%. But it's 4 seperate simulation.

You can't add the odds together to get true odds unless you labeled that's clearly out of 400%.

It's frustrating and misleading and empty numbers
    Went down this road last year.

I think if this is BI's team and he's the best player on the team, it's not a championship team. That's my personal view. It would take yet another leap from Ingram for me to change my mind on that and while he's taken two and proven me wrong in the past, I think we're getting a little greedy if we expect him to do it yet again. It's a lot to bet on.

I think we offer Zion the max, and he takes it, and we're all happy to have done so. That's my prediction.
    True Dat!!!

"Wrong" and "dae" are synonymous!!!

Thread Information