Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: April 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Phoenix Suns - GAME 6 - 3-2

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Can't really agree with you here. Aside from trusting Graham he didn't do much wrong. We hung with the -CLEARLY- best team in the NBA. Go read the Suns' fans comments on other forums about us. They were sweating and did not want to play us and have nothing but respect for the fight this team put up.

Willie gonna keep doing what he does. Get some more growth from Hayes/Murphy.

I know everyone is disappointed in CJ but he was guarded by Bridges most the series who's way longer and got 2nd in DPOY voting, like, give the guy a break.
    There were a few things he could have done - basically everyone and their mother was asking for him to start Trey over Jax since Game 2 and he stuck with that lineup another 4 games, including using it to give away the lead in the 3rd of Game 6. He can improve. Green should improve. I find it weird that everyone expects players to add to their game and do the homework over the summer but for some reason there's this expectation that it's fine for coaches to coast - they shouldn't. Rookie coaches, like rookie players, should aim to shore up where they were weak. Willie had moments of panic in the playoff/in and his rotations were, at times, suspect. That's fine, but it's an area for him to build on.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    We played an UNDRAFTED rookie 31 minutes in an ELIMINATION game. Just think about that for a moment.
    And he played exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We played 6 games. 6 games = 288 total minutes of basketball in this series.

Of those 288 minutes

Trey: 120 minutes
    Jose: 117 minutes
    Herb: 227 minutes.

All three of those, particularly Herb, are huge minute allocations for rookies. And every one of those minutes was earned. In fact, in the case of Trey and Alvarado, there's a strong argument to be made that they should each have played more. Herb, I'm not sure how you give him more without his legs falling off - even Ingram only played 236 minutes, and he led the team in minutes in this series.
    It's kind of crazy we can say Trey was seriously underutilized. A rookie in the playoffs was underutilized. lol I would never say that. Just wow

There were a few things he could have done - basically everyone and their mother was asking for him to start Trey over Jax since Game 2 and he stuck with that lineup another 4 games, including using it to give away the lead in the 3rd of Game 6. He can improve. Green should improve. I find it weird that everyone expects players to add to their game and do the homework over the summer but for some reason there's this expectation that it's fine for coaches to coast - they shouldn't. Rookie coaches, like rookie players, should aim to shore up where they were weak. Willie had moments of panic in the playoff/in and his rotations were, at times, suspect. That's fine, but it's an area for him to build on.
    Ole Internet Explorer better gets some fiber internet upgrade with those rotations. Griff got plenty of work to do this Summer. He a got a foundation set. He just needs to improve the outside core.

The teams salary is awfully bloated is another problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's kind of crazy we can say Trey was seriously underutilized. A rookie in the playoffs was underutilized. lol I would never say that. Just wow
    In my opinion he should have started over Jax beginning in game 3 and could easily have had 25-27 minutes a night.

Similarly, basically all of Graham's minutes could have gone to Alvarado.

I am aware that I'm proposing moving to an 8 man rotation here, or close to it as maybe there's a few minutes spare still for the 9th man, but that's kind of normal when you're a team missing top end talent playing a 1 seed.

We played 6 games. 6 games = 288 total minutes of basketball in this series.

Of those 288 minutes

Trey: 120 minutes
    Jose: 117 minutes
    Herb: 227 minutes.

All three of those, particularly Herb, are huge minute allocations for rookies. And every one of those minutes was earned. In fact, in the case of Trey and Alvarado, there's a strong argument to be made that they should each have played more. Herb, I'm not sure how you give him more without his legs falling off - even Ingram only played 236 minutes, and he led the team in minutes in this series.
    So each one of them individually played more minutes in the first round than any TEAM's rookies. (Toronto 103).

We need a Clint capela type guy for cheap Jax still need work and kinda seem hot headed

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    We need a Clint capela type guy for cheap Jax still need work and kinda seem hot headed
    Honestly, I don't think we do. We're at a point where we need playoff aspirations and how useful are those types of players in the playoffs these days? Even Clint Capela himself is exploitable and doesn't provide much anymore. One dimensional bigs are outre.

Luckily it's not a problem for us because the Lakers pick will jump to top 3 and we'll draft Chet and he can be our C of the future.

Wait, he did TWO positive tweets about us?!

I was calling for Trey to start during the regular season. Stopped having headaches over that a while ago.

But coaches will be coaches and Willie was at least not SVG level stubborn.

In a round about way

Still saying that Zion wants to leave.

Honestly, I don't think we do. We're at a point where we need playoff aspirations and how useful are those types of players in the playoffs these days? Even Clint Capela himself is exploitable and doesn't provide much anymore. One dimensional bigs are outre.

Luckily it's not a problem for us because the Lakers pick will jump to top 3 and we'll draft Chet and he can be our C of the future.
    Yeah, we don't need to sell out for a big. We just a second guy behind Jonas that can put in some playoff minutes. If we can buy low on a big that's injury prone or bring in an aging vet. Do it.

The future is bright.

In my opinion he should have started over Jax beginning in game 3 and could easily have had 25-27 minutes a night.

Similarly, basically all of Graham's minutes could have gone to Alvarado.

I am aware that I'm proposing moving to an 8 man rotation here, or close to it as maybe there's a few minutes spare still for the 9th man, but that's kind of normal when you're a team missing top end talent playing a 1 seed.
    Also, CJ should have never came back in for Trey in the 4th but again that's Willie going w/ the vet over the hot hand. Has to stop that and access the game for what it is.

Still salty about sending out that 1st round pick for graham. terrible move.

I LOVE this team and am so proud of the fight they have shown all season. I can't wait to see how the offseason progresses. But I absolutely HATE NBA officiating, It's the worst of all the major pro sports. They are allowed to control the game and set up an outcome they and the league would like to happen.So many times I hear "He's a rookie so he won't get that call" Or in BI's case he doesn't fight for the calls so he won't get them as much. The high profile players get the calls and are overlooked when they commit them themselves, example, CP's elbow into Jose's mouth and no call. In no other sport is it to that extreme. The way the NBA is now it's more about flopping and calling the REACTION than really playing basketball. Why try to get a good shot when you can back into a guy swing your arms about and flop and get FT. If we didn't have the Pels I'd never watch this whiney biased league again

Steven A Smith saying Zion should not want to leave is literally implying that he does wants to leave as of currently…I can’t be the only one who sees that right?

''You see my shirt, it says coach of the year. He's my coach of the year. That guy made me a better person, a better man, and a better player. You know, what he did with us, just keeping us in that right mindset the whole year even when it got rough and everyone probably doubted us, he was the one that had our back the entire time. You know, for me personally, for him to trust me as much as he trusts me, I couldn't thank him enough. He's changed my life so I'm glad that I get to call him my coach for the next four years.'' - Full quote

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Steven A Smith saying Zion should not want to leave is literally implying that he does wants to leave as of currently…I can’t be the only one who sees that right?
    Nah it does imply that, but at least he's saying ''Zion, if you think this, DO NOT''

rather than the traditional narrative of ''ZION TO THE KNICKS''

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Still salty about sending out that 1st round pick for graham. terrible move.
    Come on Man. Salty is more like ********ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Come on Man. Salty is more like ********ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even know what you censored... lol

Can someone start up an off season thread?
    I love those.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Can someone start up an off season thread?
    I love those.
    Done

I love Trey too, but I completely get why he didn't change the starting 5. There were plenty of minutes for both Jax and Trey they didn't contribute much. It's not a knock on them, it's just this team is so centered around BI/CJ/JV on offense to start the game that Jax doesn't have to score. He's there because he's more likely to ensure the least amount of 2nd chance points to start the game. Jax is a way better rebounder than Murphy. I can live with them staying big to start the game and having Murphy's scoring threat come in when one or more of CJ/BI/JV rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I love Trey too, but I completely get why he didn't change the starting 5. There were plenty on minute for both Jax and Trey they didn't contribute much. It's not a knock on them, it's just this team is so centered around BI/CJ/JV on offense to start the game that Jax doesn't have to score. He's there because he's more likely to ensure the least amount of 2nd chance points to start the game. Jax is a way better rebounder than Murphy. I can live with them staying big to start the game and having Murphy's scoring threat come in when one or more of CJ/BI/JV rest.
    Look up the numbers of the team when Trey was on with the starters vs when he was off.

The team was better on defense and offense with Trey in place of Jax in those lineups, and actually had been since the all-star break. Trey was also far better in this series overall, and better in the play in. There's no real argument for saying that they both didn't contribute much; Trey was a vital part of the team for the last 8 games and Jax was barely replacement level. We won minutes with Trey on the floor and lost them with Jax.

Thread Information