Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: April 28th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Phoenix Suns - GAME 6 - 3-2

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Still salty about sending out that 1st round pick for graham. terrible move.
    The 1st would have gone to Portland anyway to get CJ

The 3 year extension was inexcusable, unless we get lucky in a trade

There are going to be player exit interviews and one last go round with media.

Fully expect Zion to speak for the 1st time since last September.

As I suspected, the narrative is already changing. This "Zion wants out" nonsense pretty much makes no sense whatsoever now. He's in about as perfect a situation as can be.

Jax 0 rebounds just about sums him up

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Look up the numbers of the team when Trey was on with the starters vs when he was off.

The team was better on defense and offense with Trey in place of Jax in those lineups, and actually had been since the all-star break. Trey was also far better in this series overall, and better in the play in. There's no real argument for saying that they both didn't contribute much; Trey was a vital part of the team for the last 8 games and Jax was barely replacement level. We won minutes with Trey on the floor and lost them with Jax.
    I mean, not to add too much to this and repeat myself too often but

This series:

Trey Murphy III: +28.8 on/off, best on the team. Ingram was second with +15.3
    Jaxson Hayes: -17.5 on/off.

Says it all, really.
    Basketball.

Look up the numbers of the team when Trey was on with the starters vs when he was off.

The team was better on defense and offense with Trey in place of Jax in those lineups, and actually had been since the all-star break. Trey was also far better in this series overall, and better in the play in. There's no real argument for saying that they both didn't contribute much; Trey was a vital part of the team for the last 8 games and Jax was barely replacement level. We won minutes with Trey on the floor and lost them with Jax.
    Honestly I just think people are splitting hairs tryna justify changing the starting 5 and the rotations that got us where we were just because some small sample size stat here or there.

Jax and Trey both did their job and even if the start 5 was changbed it wouldnt have changed the outcome of any of the games IMO.

We definitely need a defensive big ; did ayton not score 20 almost every game does embid not go off on us Jokic JJJ Brandon Clarke maybe more but that’s a few maybe Clint may not be the exact player but someone similar to that would have helped with ayton and McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Honestly I just think people are splitting hairs tryna justify changing the starting 5 and the rotations that got us where we were just because some small sample size stat here or there.

Jax and Trey both did their job and even if the start 5 was changbed it wouldnt have changed the outcome of any of the games IMO.
    I mean sure yeah, we did everything right and no changes could have been made to make it better or more effectively. Makes complete sense. How dare people try to justify making changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    We definitely need a defensive big ; did ayton not score 20 almost every game does embid not go off on us Jokic JJJ Brandon Clarke maybe more but that?s a few maybe Clint may not be the exact player but someone similar to that would have helped with ayton and McGee
    I love me some JV but yes we need a brick wall in Paint. I?d get someone like Zach Collins in FA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean sure yeah, we did everything right and no changes could have been made to make it better or more effectively. Makes complete sense. How dare people try to justify making changes.
    Dude chill. I just understand why we stayed big to start out games and don't blame Willie for sticking to it, that's all. I'm not tryna say you're wrong or silly for thinking the Trey change may have made a difference.

Someone correct me but didn?t he shoot like 2-21 from 3 for this series?

This is why you don't use your challenge on random questionable stuff in the third quarter
    Pels got screwed on both challenges, and there doesn't need to be a challenge for the refs to review a flagrant. Herb was perfectly in front of Crowder on his charge which should have been overturned, while Crowder had no position on Alvarado and flopped before Jose's elbow came out but still got an offensive foul out of it. You can't get any more than 3 points on your challenge, and the charge/block challenge should have given us those 3. Doesn't matter when you use it, the refs still have the discretion to pick which team will win with no accountability. A Flagrant 2 on Jones elbowing his opponent while shooting will be incidental contact if CP3 does it.

CP3 had two hits to Alvarado's head in the last few minutes, plus the kick in the nuts from the prior game. He sure can play, but he is also a punk. I can't wait to see the NBA 2-miunte report to see if they admit the obvious, though the real referee work for Phoenix was done at the beginning of the 3rd. As often happens, the refs used offensive fouls to even out the game against us. They show up in the box score as turnovers rather than free throws, so it's not as obvious. Count how many uncalled push-offs by CP3, Booker and Crowder occurred after CJ got his 4th foul on a very slight one.

We still never made CP3 work one minute on defense the entire night. I saw him guard drives maybe 3 times the entire game. We made him work on offense, but never on defense.

Overall, a great late season and playoff run, somewhat spoiled by crappy officiating. Reminds me of the San Antonio series all those years ago, and the Saints' recent playoff history. I guess that one Super Bowl is deemed sufficient for New Orleans. Hopefully we will have a healthy run next year and make it even farther into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    Pels got screwed on both challenges, and there doesn't need to be a challenge for the refs to review a flagrant.
    I know that, but they clearly were not going to review it and therefore a challenge would have allowed us to force the review. If we had lost it, oh well - we lost the one we actually used anyway so it wouldn't have made a difference. But we were more likely to win the elbow than when we actually used it.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The 1st would have gone to Portland anyway to get CJ

The 3 year extension was inexcusable, unless we get lucky in a trade
    Which means... We keep Buck 2025. Luckily... It's top 4 protected

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Who made this shirt? He himself did?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There are going to be player exit interviews and one last go round with media.

Fully expect Zion to speak for the 1st time since last September.

As I suspected, the narrative is already changing. This "Zion wants out" nonsense pretty much makes no sense whatsoever now. He's in about as perfect a situation as can be.
    I don't think the issue is whether Zion wants out. Clearly he'd want to sign the extension. The issue is does Griffin still want him and his camp around? This is the GM that seemed to think getting Lebron on his Cavs team ruined his experience for him. He finally got the team of his dreams. Team first, family atmosphere, ect. ect. Does he want to keep having to deal with the 300 lb prima donna and his family? And more importantly does he want to tie up so much money in a guy who may not be able to stay on the court?

My guess is if there is a team that can give Griffin an attractive enough package he's going to bite and take it. Even if on the outside looking in it appears that we're not getting enough for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

First sentence yes, second sentence no. We lost the last two games by 3 and 6. You really don't think a minor change could have been enough to win one or both of those games?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Trey played 22 minutes compared to Jaxson 12 minutes. The quantity of minutes is more relevant than who happened to be on the floor at the start of the first quarter. Furthermore Jax held it down for us in the first quarter. And just because a player is productive with 20 ish minutes doesnt mean he would do the same thing for 36 minutes. You can try to justify changes, but you should not feel so confident that you know better than Willie Green.

I'm proud of this team - they don't give up after such a tough start to the season.

Willie is great, we finally found a suitable coach.

This is a classic series in my opinion and one of my favorite one since Kawhi/TOR vs. PHILLY with Embiid and Butler

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I want them again. Run it back next year. Maybe with Zion.

This was one of the most enjoyable sports experiences I've had as a spectator. Pretty much on par with the 2009 Saints tbh.

I can only imagine what it was like for the players in that locker room. Willie shedding a few tears was not surprising at all.

Fingers crossed for a quiet but productive offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    Who made this shirt? He himself did?
    Nah pels fans came to the game with them

Thread Information