Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion not just being held out?

I’ll just repeat what I posted a few weeks back the day after Zion’s step dad gave that radio interview. I talked to a buddy who is a big Pels supporter and friends with senior management. I expected to hear some good news about how things with Zion were getting patched up following his return from Portland. I did not. He said from the teams point of view things with Zion were probably not salvageable and that Zion would not suit up for he rest of the year regardless of health because—like with AD at the end—they did not want to risk any further injury diminishing his trade value. I continue to hope this is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I’ll just repeat what I posted a few weeks back the day after Zion’s step dad gave that radio interview. I talked to a buddy who is a big Pels supporter and friends with senior management. I expected to hear some good news about how things with Zion were getting patched up following his return from Portland. I did not. He said from the teams point of view things with Zion were probably not salvageable and that Zion would not suit up for he rest of the year regardless of health because—like with AD at the end—they did not want to risk any further injury diminishing his trade value. I continue to hope this is wrong.
    It's pathetic really that Zion and his family can't see the potential of this team over a minor disagreement.

Would you rather have KAT, Vandibilt & Nowell or Zion and Jonas? Think about how long and disruptive Vandibilt is and how much KAT thrives off spotting up at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Can someone explain why Griff doesn?t want to play Zion?
    Yep

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/04/16...nough-to-play/

Pretty much how I feel.

I?ll just repeat what I posted a few weeks back the day after Zion?s step dad gave that radio interview. I talked to a buddy who is a big Pels supporter and friends with senior management. I expected to hear some good news about how things with Zion were getting patched up following his return from Portland. I did not. He said from the teams point of view things with Zion were probably not salvageable and that Zion would not suit up for he rest of the year regardless of health because?like with AD at the end?they did not want to risk any further injury diminishing his trade value. I continue to hope this is wrong.
    Unfortunately this sounds plausible. If Griffin is hell bent on trading Zion then there is absolutely no benefit for Griffin in having him play in the playoffs.

Either: 1) He gets out there and due to lack of conditioning looks like crap, and his trade value is slightly diminished. Or 2) Gets out there and reinjures himself, which really, really hurts his trade value, or 3) Goes out there and looks good, which gets the fans hopes up about Zion's future with the Pels, which in turns pisses off the fanbase when we trade him for what is undoubtably going to appear to be lesser talent.

Now option 3) is a poor reason not to play him, but unfortunately I can see Griffin making a decision based on this. I think Griffin may think that no matter what Zion looks like in the short term, his long term viability in the NBA is questionable and his current me first mentality hurts the team first atmosphere he's trying to create.

I hope this is incorrect and the organization is purely basing their decision not to play Zion based on medical and coaching evaluation of his health and conditioning.

I will say it again. If Larry Nance or Naji Marshall or insert some other guy who isn’t seen as a long term commodity was at the same exact place medically, they would be cleared to play and playing right now. Nance had one 5-on-5 practice before he returned.

This is 100 percent protecting an asset. It ain’t medical or conditioning or risking messing up chemistry, etc
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I will say it again. If Larry Nance or Naji Marshall or insert some other guy who isn’t seen as a long term commodity was at the same exact place medically, they would be cleared to play and playing right now. Nance had one 5-on-5 practice before he returned.

This is 100 percent protecting an asset. It ain’t medical or conditioning or risking messing up chemistry, etc
    Could it be that Zion needs to meet certain milestones?
    Maybe he was told that he needs to be a certain weight and he hasn't met those.

Stuffed if I know. I'm just drawing at straws.
    Zion may not play another game as a Pel.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    It's pathetic really that Zion and his family can't see the potential of this team over a minor disagreement.
    Uhhhh at this point the issue is clearly with the front office.

ETA: Obviously neither side is perfect, but it's completely insane to pin 100% of the blame on Zion's camp given what we know now

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I will say it again. If Larry Nance or Naji Marshall or insert some other guy who isn?t seen as a long term commodity was at the same exact place medically, they would be cleared to play and playing right now. Nance had one 5-on-5 practice before he returned.

This is 100 percent protecting an asset. It ain?t medical or conditioning or risking messing up chemistry, etc
    I thought Zion and his camp were happy with Willie, the direction of the franchise, etc.. why is the FO still treating the situation like Zion is not salvageable?

Because if you plan on Zion being a part of this core going forward, you'd be playing him right now. Did things not truly improve? I want to understand where Griff and Co are coming from.

I think there is obviously a lot being unsaid about what is going on behind the public eye with Zion, his injuries, his family, his agency, and the front office. Like MM stated, why the hell would a player that is supposed to be an integral part of your team be allowed to practice 5 on 5 basketball and make between the leg dunks while not being allowed to get 15-20 minutes a game in a playoff series where the Pels have a real shot to win? I think the answer is blatantly obvious now. Zion does not have a long term future in New Orleans. I think Zion?s camp and his very powerful agency representation, CAA, have been working quietly to force his way out to the Knicks who are run by a former CAA super agent. I would bet this injury is being milked by either Zion?s camp and/or the front office to allow the appropriate time to get a nice package deal from the Knicks after Zion signs his extension this summer. Zion?s silence is part of the deal in order to allow this exit to get worked out. When the public turned to blaming Zion and his camp after the all-star break, they had to put some subtle spin out there to deflect some of the blame. I am calling this trade this summer:

Pels send Zion, Graham, and Temple to the Knicks for Julius Randle, Immanuel Quickley, and 3 first round picks.

I think we go into 2022-2023 season with this roster

PG: McCullum/Alvarado/Lewis
    SG: Ingram/Quickley/1st round pick
    SF: Jones/Murphy/Marshall
    PF: Randle/Hayes/1st round pick
    C: Valanciunas/Nance Jr./Hernangomez
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-24-2022 at 02:32 AM.

Randle? That guy quit on new york and it's fans... easy pass for the pels

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Screw New York. They have no one I'm interested in. Plus I'm petty and would really rather not see their fans feel vindication. Every time a Zion at Duke clip is circulating on Twitter or Reddit or YouTube they're all "Zion wants to be here!"

The odds of them eventually turning on him for being out of shape or hurt aren't worth it to me.

Make it a bidding war. I want a big who can block a freaking shot and maybe knock down a 3 if given the opportunity.

If we trade him to New York trade him for kyrie or Durant and a A 1st to say screw the knicks and make jj reddick more jealous I rather we keep him but if we trade him I want a superstar back

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Randle? That guy quit on new york and it's fans... easy pass for the pels
    Randle loved playing in NOLA. I would quit on Knicks fans too. They’re an insufferable group.

Might have to include Randle to make the money work after we sign Zion to the max (to trade him).

I wouldn't send him to NY though... I mean unless NY has the most attractive trade package. But don't just send him there because that's what his camp wants. If Indiana is offering more you send him there. Whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    until zion outright says he wants to be traded im going to believe the actual reporting thatt he wants to play. feels like fans are so anxious to just make him a scapegoat

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think there is obviously a lot being unsaid about what is going on behind the public eye with Zion, his injuries, his family, his agency, and the front office. Like MM stated, why the hell would a player that is supposed to be an integral part of your team be allowed to practice 5 on 5 basketball and make between the leg dunks while not being allowed to get 15-20 minutes a game in a playoff series where the Pels have a real shot to win? I think the answer is blatantly obvious now. Zion does not have a long term future in New Orleans. I think Zion?s camp and his very powerful agency representation, CAA, have been working quietly to force his way out to the Knicks who are run by a former CAA super agent. I would bet this injury is being milked by either Zion?s camp and/or the front office to allow the appropriate time to get a nice package deal from the Knicks after Zion signs his extension this summer. Zion?s silence is part of the deal in order to allow this exit to get worked out. When the public turned to blaming Zion and his camp after the all-star break, they had to put some subtle spin out there to deflect some of the blame. I am calling this trade this summer:

Pels send Zion, Graham, and Temple to the Knicks for Julius Randle, Immanuel Quickley, and 3 first round picks.

I think we go into 2022-2023 season with this roster

PG: McCullum/Alvarado/Lewis
    SG: Ingram/Quickley/1st round pick
    SF: Jones/Murphy/Marshall
    PF: Randle/Hayes/1st round pick
    C: Valanciunas/Nance Jr./Hernangomez
    so you believe mac when he says Zion is healthy enough to play... but you can't also accept that he actually wants to play? how would he still want to play yet somehow the situation is actually irreparable? and in the midst of all this camp has been forcing him out of NO? make up your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    so you believe mac when he says Zion is healthy enough to play... but you can't also accept that he actually wants to play? how would he still want to play yet somehow the situation is actually irreparable? and in the midst of all this camp has been forcing him out of NO? make up your mind
    Your post makes absolutely no sense. I think Zion is healthy enough to play at least 15-20 minutes. I think he wants to play in the playoffs, but the front office values him more as a future asset than allowing him to help win a playoff series, which is why I posted what I did. The way the franchise is treating him does not make sense unless the plan is to preserve his health as much as possible in order to trade him. Otherwise, why wouldn’t you let one of the best if not the best player on your team play and contribute in a playoff series that we have a shot at winning? I suspect the wanting to be traded notion likely came out of Zion’s camp and not initiated by the Pelicans. The Pelicans are trying to make a business decision at this point.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-25-2022 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Your post makes absolutely no sense. I think Zion is healthy enough to play at least 15-20 minutes. I think he wants to play in the playoffs, but the front office values him more as a future asset than allowing him to help win a playoff series, which is why I posted what I did. The way the franchise is treating him does not make sense unless the plan is to preserve his health as much as possible in order to trade him. Otherwise, why wouldn’t you let one of the best if not the best player on your team play and contribute in a playoff series that we have a shot at winning? I suspect the wanting to be traded notion likely came out of Zion’s camp and not initiated by the Pelicans. The Pelicans are trying to make a business decision at this point.
    it makes absolutely no sense that zion would want to still play for this team, regardless if it's simply to play in a playoff atmosphere, if it's his team also initiating trade demands out of NO. i just can't wrap my head around that. everything reported, since before the playoffs, has indicated that zion is dying to play, so why would he still be invested in playing for this team if he ultimately wanted out. makes zero sense

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    it makes absolutely no sense that zion would want to still play for this team, regardless if it's simply to play in a playoff atmosphere, if it's his team also initiating trade demands out of NO. i just can't wrap my head around that. everything reported, since before the playoffs, has indicated that zion is dying to play, so why would he still be invested in playing for this team if he ultimately wanted out. makes zero sense
    If we are to believe Mac, which I do, it’s possible it’s more the Pels finally want to be rid of him and his obnoxious family. I believe the line used was “they liked LaVar Ball better.” Which is totally saying something. I believe it was also said Griffin would’ve already traded him but circumstance or just Gayle wouldn’t let him.

It’s possible the situation is Zion would have zero problems staying here. If the Pelicans acquiesced to his every desire and let him eat and play and eat all he wants without meddling. And Griffin is fed up with repeating himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If we are to believe Mac, which I do, it?s possible it?s more the Pels finally want to be rid of him and his obnoxious family. I believe the line used was ?they liked LaVar Ball better.? Which is totally saying something. I believe it was also said Griffin would?ve already traded him but circumstance or just Gayle wouldn?t let him.

It?s possible the situation is Zion would have zero problems staying here. If the Pelicans acquiesced to his every desire and let him eat and play and eat all he wants without meddling. And Griffin is fed up with repeating himself.
    If this is truly the mindset, it's time for Griffin to go. If you have a chance to salvage the relationship, you take that chance. To throw up your hands and say, "I don't want to deal with it anymore" after the culture has changed this much and there's so much to sell would be malpractice.

Man, if Zion’s family still wants him out given what is going on with THIS team, that is saying something not only about them, but how relationships are maintained in this organization.

I have never been a fan of Griffs. I wouldn’t trust that used underwear salesman any further than I could throw him, but I also don’t trust Zion’s family. I feel they are peas in the same pod, and deserve each other. If they can’t salvage their relationship, and it’s to the detriment of the team’s success I would rather throw them both out.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

None of know what has happened behind closed doors so assuming fault is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that a front office as inept and toxic as some in here seem to believe it is would be able to have a team culture that would weather what happened this season and still be in position to upset the #1 team. Now that doesn't mean I am saying the team is blameless...I am saying it's silly to try to paint one side or the other as the cartoon villain in this

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    If this is truly the mindset, it's time for Griffin to go. If you have a chance to salvage the relationship, you take that chance. To throw up your hands and say, "I don't want to deal with it anymore" after the culture has changed this much and there's so much to sell would be malpractice.
    There is a statute of limitations though. What if Zion’s people are JUST THAT DELUDED and refuse to listen no matter what? I mean, I think Griffin sucks. But we can’t put this all on him if what we’ve heard is true.

Thread Information