Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Please don't boo Chris Paul

Chris Paul should understand it if he's boo'd... he's on the opposing team. Nobody hates Chris Paul in NOLA.. It is what it is. If he's butt-hurt about being boo'd because he's the enemy, then that's HIM problem.

After the series is over we can go back to loving him, but I see no problem with booing him.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 04-22-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riot. View Post
    Why tho? The dude played hard for us. It's not our fault we couldn't put a team around him.
    I really can't make sense of this argument. I love Chris Paul. I agree with what a lot of has been said in this thread, I think it would be awesome if they gave him a thank you video. But boo'ing an opposing player when he has the ball in his hands, or when he's introduced, is just something fans have done as long as fans have been around. It doesn't mean you have bad feelings towards the guy. Like I said in my original post, boo'ing (or cheering for that matter) after an injury or something similar is classless. Heck, you can go back a few weeks to the booing of the Spurs in the play in game. Was there anything wrong with that? Go back years ago to the Portland series when Dame was boo'd, CJ probably was as well. Was there anything wrong with that? Go all the way back to when Chris Paul was still here during the playoff series he played. If Devin Booker was healthy and he was boo'd tonight, is there anything wrong with that? It's good natured heckling, adds energy to the building, etc etc. Does it make a difference? Probably not, but again, it doesn't mean you have some ill will toward someone.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 04-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.

No idea why anyone would boo CP3.

He is the greatest player in franchise history, he left under totally reasonable circumstances, he hasn't trashed the city or the team since leaving, and other than being kind of annoying sometimes, he hasn't really done anything to create widespread fan dislike either. If you want to boo him generically as you would any other player, then sure I get it; he sinks a 3 to take the lead in the 4th, I can see why a crowd in New Orleans might be upset. But targeted, individual booing? Come on.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I really can't make sense of this argument. I love Chris Paul. I agree with what a lot of has been said in this thread, I think it would be awesome if they gave him a thank you video. But boo'ing an opposing player when he has the ball in his hands, or when he's introduced, is just something fans have done as long as fans have been around. It doesn't mean you have bad feelings towards the guy. Like I said in my original post, boo'ing (or cheering for that matter) after an injury or something similar is classless. Heck, you can go back a few weeks to the booing of the Spurs in the play in game. Was there anything wrong with that? Go back years ago to the Portland series when Dame was boo'd, CJ probably was as well. Was there anything wrong with that? Go all the way back to when Chris Paul was still here during the playoff series he played. If Devin Booker was healthy and he was boo'd tonight, is there anything wrong with that? It's good natured heckling, adds energy to the building, etc etc. Does it make a difference? Probably not, but again, it doesn't mean you have some ill will toward someone.
    There is a difference in booing PHX and booing Chris Paul. Frankly... You really don't need to boo. Just make a bunch of crowd noise. Booing isn't really the crowd noise you want to make anyways to disrupt players. Not loud enough.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    There is a difference in booing PHX and booing Chris Paul. Frankly... You really don't need to boo. Just make a bunch of crowd noise.
    I can agree with that, I don't boo anyone...ever. Just not my style, but I have zero issue if people direct boo's towards Phoenix.

Because if CP3 never came NOLA. The team would of been sold a couple of years sooner and probably moved to a different city.

CP3 was the 1st sustainable proof of NOLA being able to support a basketball team.

People seem to forget Pete Maravich back in the day of the N.O.Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Let's flip it. What is the BENEFIT?
    Again, what is classless about it? Why answer a question with another irrelevant question?

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Oh come on, don't be coy.
    Not being coy at all. Just an honest question. I do not see how booing an opposing player is classless. I think it is silly to even tell people not to do it.

I think being way over excited for an opposition free throw miss lacks a bit of class

I mean Baron Davis still loves New Orleans too. I think he still got that house uptown.

Because if CP3 never came NOLA. The team would of been sold a couple of years sooner and probably moved to a different city.

CP3 was the 1st sustainable proof of NOLA being able to support a basketball team.
    Not sure I agree with that. Even with CP3, Shinn toyed with the idea of moving the team anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Again, what is classless about it? Why answer a question with another irrelevant question?
    I never called it classless. Was just curious what the benefit was to doing that act. But instead of giving a thoughtful answer, you chose to deflect and call it irrelevant. Noted.
    @mcnamara247

Rather than simple apathy, which is what most opposing teams should get, I feel like booing needs to be earned in some manner. A player who tries to show up your team. A former player who crapped on the team/city/fans on the way out. A player who talks crap. I don't really see the point in booing "generic opposing player."

Of course, I'm over 40 now and have a little less "fanatic" in my fandom.

If we lose this game tonight. I will make it up to y’all. This forum will have a Chris Paul Appreciation Thread. I promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    If we lose this game tonight. I will make it up to y’all. This forum will have a Chris Paul Appreciation Thread. I promise you.
    Where is your Julius Randle Appreciation thread?

I never called it classless. Was just curious what the benefit was to doing that act. But instead of giving a thoughtful answer, you chose to deflect and call it irrelevant. Noted.
    Wait, who was the one who failed to give a thoughtful answer to my question, yet chose to deflect with a completely irrelevant question? At least do not be disingenuous.

I don't see a reason to boo him, but if fans want to boo an opposing player then I don't have an issue with it. Too many people view booing as a personal attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I don't see a reason to boo him, but if fans want to boo an opposing player then I don't have an issue with it. Too many people view booing as a personal attack.
    Yeah, I do not see it as personal. I boo all the players during intros and when they whine/flop or do something dirty on the court. I really like CP3 and am grateful for this time here, but during the game, he is the opposition, so if he flops or whines or does something dirty, I will boo him like any other opposing player.

Wait, who was the one who failed to give a thoughtful answer to my question, yet chose to deflect with a completely irrelevant question? At least do not be disingenuous.
    You asked the person who called it classless, why is it classless. Not me. I simply saw the two of you talking, and expected him to answer the question you asked HIM. I then, wanting to hear the other side, asked....well, what is the benefit of it.

You see, in an ideal world, I would have heard a detailed answer from both sides. I would have gotten well thought out, nuanced argument from each party - which would have allowed me to perhaps see different perspectives than my own.

By I digress, it appears I will not be privy to such luxuries. I shall instead be forced to merely have arrows shot upon me while I swim in the shallow end of my knowledge pool.

Basketball Guru
    Yeah, I do not see it as personal. I boo all the players during intros and when they whine/flop or do something dirty on the court. I really like CP3 and am grateful for this time here, but during the game, he is the opposition, so if he flops or whines or does something dirty, I will boo him like any other opposing player.
    im with you on this....

You asked the person who called it classless, why is it classless. Not me. I simply saw the two of you talking, and expected him to answer the question you asked HIM. I then, wanting to hear the other side, asked....well, what is the benefit of it.

You see, in an ideal world, I would have heard a detailed answer from both sides. I would have gotten well thought out, nuanced argument from each party - which would have allowed me to perhaps see different perspectives than my own.

By I digress, it appears I will not be privy to such luxuries. I shall instead be forced to merely have arrows shot upon me while I swim in the shallow end of my knowledge pool.
    Admit it. You were on a debate team in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Admit it. You were on a debate team in school.
    Philosophy Masters Degree. Debate team is for people who want to memorize arguments and recite them like an auctioneer. Philosophy majors think far more nuanced and in depth. Highest scores on LSAT year after year are philsophy majors.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Philosophy Masters Degree. Debate team is for people who want to memorize arguments and recite them like an auctioneer. Philosophy majors think far more nuanced and in depth. Highest scores on LSAT year after year are philsophy majors.
    Look at Diogenes over here.

Facing the biggest game in recent Pelicans/Hornets history this is what we are worried about?
    The great and powerful Chris Paul must be respected or we are classless uneducated jerks?

I guess if that is what you wanna focus on, go ahead.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Thread Information