Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: What Constitutes 'Victory' in a Phoenix Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago75 View Post
    Care to quote where I said that we shouldn't look to make improvements or even where i said anything about Zion ever playing again?
    I simply corrected your assertion that the squad, as is, is a 36-46 team. In fact, i cited the record this team has when healthy WITHOUT ZION.
    You said we was a contender with the SAME EXACT roster. That clearly implies such we don't improve the roster. Context must of been off.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You said we was a contender with the SAME EXACT roster. That clearly implies such we don't improve the roster. Context must of been off.
    Really? Quote where I said that as well.

Is that your thing? Just put words in the mouth of people who disagree with you?

Basketball Guru
    When you try to upgrade position. You only got so many minutes. It's even tighter in a playoff game.You can make a deep line-up work in the regular season.

You draft Bennedict Mathurin
    Zion returns

Well, you got find about 42 minutes just to make that work.

You want to bring in a nice big to run with Jonas, and Lance.

You cut out Graham... that 13 minutes
    You cut the bench mob... thats 14 minutes
    You cut out Hayes... that's another 13 minutes

We are at 40 minutes for Zion and a rookie

Then, we want to bring in a playoff caliber back-up 5 that can eat about 13-18 minutes. You gonna have to dig into other players minutes to get that done.

You take about 5 minutes off Jonas, because I honestly don't think he's at his best running 30+
    You take 8 minutes from Lance because of Zion and how much small ball 5 he can run
    Then, you shave off minutes from everyone else.

Graham, Kira, and Hayes just don't fit if you want to make the team better. Minutes are match-up dependent still... and what if your draft pick becomes a 25 minute essential player

We are gonna have to start moving the bottom of our roster sooner or later. We are a tax team too atm.

If Pelicans did that... That's a championship team for the next 2 or 3 years.
    i agree...temple, snell, graham, hayes, billy, kira, naji....somehow covert those 7 players into a mix of 3 solid players that can shoot, play defense and a rim protector with players on the bench that can come in when needed to contribute would be a solid team going deep into the playoffs....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i agree...temple, snell, graham, hayes, billy, kira, naji....somehow covert those 7 players into a mix of 3 solid players that can shoot, play defense and a rim protector with players on the bench that can come in when needed to contribute would be a solid team going deep into the playoffs....
    Pipedreamimg

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Pipedreamimg
    lol you got to have a dream...one day it may come true...

Really? Quote where I said that as well.

Is that your thing? Just put words in the mouth of people who disagree with you?
    Except that isn't true at all. If we rolled out the same exact team last year, we aren't rolling out a 36-46 roster.
    What else you want me to do...;

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Are you just oblivious to how the NBA works?Are we gonna pretend and trust Zion to play 82 games + the playoffs? Are we gonna pretend other NBA teams won't get better by getting their stars back and adding talent? For all we know... A Super Team gets built overnight in the offseason.

I don't care if we go to WCF... You still have to improve the team in whatever way possible. Why are so you attached to bench guys that wouldn't even get minutes on other contender? Is Hayes, Kira, or Graham getting minutes on Championship squads. No. So, why you care so much about deadweight.

Tired of this Sunk cost Fallacy.
    There is a difference between a sunk cost and an investment. Sunk cost you dont expect to appreciate in value, so maybe Graham is a sunk cost. Kira and Jax are development players, valuable to have not just because of what they give you right now but also what they can give you on the coming years. Even championship teams have guys in this role.

Im definitely not opposed to adding another big guy if we can get a good one. But Zion, Jonas, Nance, Hayes is a pretty sweet front court rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    There is a difference between a sunk cost and an investment. Sunk cost you dont expect to appreciate in value, so maybe Graham is a sunk cost. Kira and Jax are development players, valuable to have not just because of what they give you right now but also what they can give you on the coming years. Even championship teams have guys in this role.

Im definitely not opposed to adding another big guy if we can get a good one. But Zion, Jonas, Nance, Hayes is a pretty sweet front court rotation.
    Sunk Cost Fallacy is Time and/or Money.

That's only if we can find someone to improve the roster. There isn't many options.

Sunk Cost Fallacy is Time and/or Money.

That's only if we can find someone to improve the roster. There isn't many options.
    If you believe that Hayes and/or Kira aren't going to develop, that would make them a sunk cost. If you believe its an investment that hasnt matured yet, then its not a sunk cost at all. I think Hayes is gong to be a very good player before its all said and done. He has great size/length, impressive athleticism and fluid movement, and a natural shooting touch. He needs to develop his bball IQ, but that's the kind of thing you expect from an immature player. Its something he likely can improve upon. Time will tell.

As for the idea that we shouldn't run it back because of this year's record... obviously CJ and Zion weren't on the team when we got out to that horrible start. Jose wasn't a factor in the gameplan yet either. The team chemistry hadn't formed yet. What we are witnessing now, is a team that is just now hitting its stride. We can make improvements to the roster yes, but I also think this team is a legit contender with who we currently have. Our 9 man rotation looks like:

CJ
    Ingram
    Herb
    Zion
    Jonas

bench
    Jose, Trey, Nance, Jax

It could always be better, but damn that's pretty good. A guy like Naji or Kira is acceptable when you start getting to the 10th and 11th spot on the roster.

Make changes around the edges all you want, but continuity is my goal for this offseason. We've had so much instability, I want to get some stability in place.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Make changes around the edges all you want, but continuity is my goal for this offseason. We've had so much instability, I want to get some stability in place.
    Im with you! Don't want to move on from any of our core contributors

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    If you believe that Hayes and/or Kira aren't going to develop, that would make them a sunk cost. If you believe its an investment that hasnt matured yet, then its not a sunk cost at all. I think Hayes is gong to be a very good player before its all said and done. He has great size/length, impressive athleticism and fluid movement, and a natural shooting touch. He needs to develop his bball IQ, but that's the kind of thing you expect from an immature player. Its something he likely can improve upon. Time will tell.

As for the idea that we shouldn't run it back because of this year's record... obviously CJ and Zion weren't on the team when we got out to that horrible start. Jose wasn't a factor in the gameplan yet either. The team chemistry hadn't formed yet. What we are witnessing now, is a team that is just now hitting its stride. We can make improvements to the roster yes, but I also think this team is a legit contender with who we currently have. Our 9 man rotation looks like:

CJ
    Ingram
    Herb
    Zion
    Jonas

bench
    Jose, Trey, Nance, Jax

It could always be better, but damn that's pretty good. A guy like Naji or Kira is acceptable when you start getting to the 10th and 11th spot on the roster.

hoping trey can take the next step in his development next season and getting a shooter will be just right but i still want a rim protector on the bench for certain matchups.....

Thread Information