Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What Constitutes 'Victory' in a Phoenix Series?

Off topic: Lakers played on Christmas, but Pelicans are playing on Easter Sunday! Screw L.A.!

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    willie learning from this series and applying it to make him a better coach going forward.....he will see everything the suns have to win this series that he would not see in the regular season...

all of the players learning from this series and hope that they can understand and work on what it takes to improve on in order to get to the next level as players and as a team....

i can also say im glad the owner is getting paid for the team being in the playoffs...
    This for me.

I love Willie and what he and Griff are building here but the downside to the fun family environment is knowing when to make cold decisions....like benching a hard working but struggling vet or limiting rotations to 8 or 9 guys. He's going to be a great coach but he isn't that far removed from being a player.....so it's a tough edge to develop.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Winning every game at home and taking the series to game 7. Thats what I want. Simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am kind of confused, Lauri for Lonzo was the year before. But to get to your overall point -- could we have afforded them all? Yes. Could have traded Lonzo for Lauri, re-signed Lauri and then did the same trade for CJ this year. But if you have Lauri, do you draft Herb at 35 or do you go for a guard? Would Trey have gotten small ball 4 minutes or be further down the depth chart? Do you ask for Nance in the CJ trade if you already have all those bigs?

I know Lauri had one nice game yesterday, but he wouldnt rank in my top 10 of "could haves" in the Griff era. Fine with saying no to that deal

What is your top ten could haves?
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What is your top ten could haves?
    Well that isn’t gonna happen. So, is anything else a failure to you or is there a lower bar that will constitute victory?
    @mcnamara247

A series win. OK, realistically... a couple of wins no matter where. I'm stoked to even have this view considering where we came from at the beginning of the year.

To me victory would mean that all the players would face up to what it takes to be a contender and what the team and they individually need to do to improve. IMHO the team needs three more good players (Zion coming back, this year's lottery pick and a trade for Graham might do it) plus improvement across the board like TM3's handle, Zion's defense, etc. It's tough to be successful but, with luck and an incredible amount of hard work it's finally, now, at least possible.

A 5-6 game series.

If it takes 7 games to beat Phoenix might as well blow it up and rebuild.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    No injuries is prime. Two wins is the most I expect.

Best chance is to steal a win today. And get one at home but we may not win a single one. Just compete. Make them hurt and bleed for every moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    No injuries is prime. Two wins is the most I expect.

Best chance is to steal a win today. And get one at home but we may not win a single one. Just compete. Make them hurt and bleed for every moment.
    Expect or hope for?

HUGE difference

They haven’t won squat just like us I expect for our leaders to lead cj know what it takes and b.I got that dog in em I want them to win the series

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    They haven’t won squat just like us I expect for our leaders to lead cj know what it takes and b.I got that dog in em I want them to win the series
    I think we all WANT that. But its okay to be realistic and know they want and look for other things that will lead to winning in the future

Hey I just feel like it’s the Pelicans time the saints have had they run of dominance, our coach has championship winning experience nobody on Phoenix has that off the top of my head; our head coach was a big part of what they have over there no knock to Monty because I felt he should’ve stayed our coach and that was the end of the a.d era. We will win some games just my belief and wouldnt be surprised to beat them herb has shown he’s top 15 atleast on defense and not afraid to shoot Brandon cj and Val doesn’t need any explanation; if Jonas plays big we will knock these guys off

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    Hey I just feel like it’s the Pelicans time the saints have had they run of dominance, our coach has championship winning experience nobody on Phoenix has that off the top of my head; our head coach was a big part of what they have over there no knock to Monty because I felt he should’ve stayed our coach and that was the end of the a.d era. We will win some games just my belief and wouldnt be surprised to beat them herb has shown he’s top 15 atleast on defense and not afraid to shoot Brandon cj and Val doesn’t need any explanation; if Jonas plays big we will knock these guys off
    Well, my suggestion would be to find other things that would make you happy in the event none of that happens. Because it wont. Not telling you what to think or do. Just a friendly suggestion to help out.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Well, my suggestion would be to find other things that would make you happy in the event none of that happens. Because it wont. Not telling you what to think or do. Just a friendly suggestion to help out.
    My suggestion would be to pull for the team to win and stop coming up with scenarios where you prefer them to lose

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    My suggestion would be to pull for the team to win and stop coming up with scenarios where you prefer them to lose
    I am rooting for them to win. Rooted for them to win and wanted them to win vs Spurs. Never said anybody should want them to lose in this series.

Debate the actual persons arguments. Not a strawman you made up. Simple advice.

I never mentioned it making me happy just feel like they overrated like the hawk teams that won 50 plus in the 2010’s, booker nice I like Ingram more Chris nice and I like him more than cj but give me the last series he played in that he didn’t get injured causing his team to Falter lol I’ll wait ; ps I like the conversations with you unlike some ppl I enjoy difference in opinions

This Suns team is not overrated. If anything, it is the opposite. They probably could have won 70. As I showed in another thread, they really only lost two games when they were healthy and really going hard. They are basically the Pels but better.

They live in the mid range like current Pels do but they make a lot more and defend it a lot better. That Hawks team also didnt go to the Finals the year before and gobble up all that experience. Never had the best guy in the series, etc etc

This Suns team is to us what we would be to the current Magic. If we were playing the Magic in a 7 game series today, would you guys be giving them a punchers chance?

Well guess what we don’t have a problem stopping anything inside the 3 pt line so like I said not worried , who is the magic s bi and cj lol cole Anthony lol

I am rooting for them to win. Rooted for them to win and wanted them to win vs Spurs. Never said anybody should want them to lose in this series.

Debate the actual persons arguments. Not a strawman you made up. Simple advice.
    You put a great deal of effort into trying to convince this board to hope for the Pelicans to lose and not make it to the playoffs. But that didn't work out for you. So here you are, yet again giving "simple advice" to fans to find things about the Pelicans losing to make them happy. Its wack. That loser mentality so deeply ingrained you just can't help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    You put a great deal of effort into trying to convince this board to hope for the Pelicans to lose and not make it to the playoffs. But that didn't work out for you. So here you are, yet again giving "simple advice" to fans to find things about the Pelicans losing to make them happy. Its wack. That loser mentality so deeply ingrained you just can't help yourself.
    LOL - I said what I will root for and why. I also put all the pros of making the playoffs up in a post. If it brings you joy to keep hurling insults at a man you never met, then do you man. But at least get the facts right when you call someone a loser. Whatever brings you joy, fella

LOL - I said what I will root for and why. I also put all the pros of making the playoffs up in a post. If it brings you joy to keep hurling insults at a man you never met, then do you man. But at least get the facts right when you call someone a loser. Whatever brings you joy, fella
    I could be insulting if I wanted to, there was no insult in that post. Its literally what you are doing. Don't act like you didn't try your best to advance an argument for why people should want the Pelicans to not make the playoffs, have a little integrity and stand behind what you did.

My bad - saying a person has a loser mentality....not an insult. Noted.

Again, hope it makes you feel good. Best wishes.

My bad - saying a person has a loser mentality....not an insult. Noted.

Again, hope it makes you feel good. Best wishes.
    Its not an insult. Its a description of the mentality you are exhibiting. If the Pelicans were to go into this game with the attitude "as long as we only lose by single digits, that's a victory for us!". That would be a loser mentality. And that is your mentality.

You can race Usain Bolt and tell yourself you are going to win or you can go and say "I am going to give it my best and grow from it!"

The second doesnt make you a loser. But again, whatever makes you happy. Do you not see the irony of telling me that I am wrong for advising others on how they should think and now you have the one and only correct way to think? Everyone who doesnt think that way has a loser mentality!

Pot, kettle, bro. How about you just ignore me and go enjoy the game and root for that victory

Thread Information