Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Centric 2022 Top-10 Prospects

Pelicans Centric 2022 Top-10 Prospects

Since its looking more and more likely we are getting a top 10 pick (and possibly top 4), I figured it would be interesting to see each others top 10 list. I will go first:

1. Chet Holmgren - fully acknowleging I am going upside here over safe pick but rim protection is a must for this team and I think he has the highest ceiling.
    2. Paolo Banchero - Not the most seamless fit with Ingram or Zion, but I always go BPA. However, if Zion FULLY commits to the team, he would probably fall to 3 or 4 on my list
    3. Jaden Ivy - Again, not a huge need right now but CJ is on the back side of his prime. Good guards are necessary in this league and I love his game on both ends
    4. Jabari Smith - Great scorer but I dont know if he does much beyond that at an above average level. Have Paolo higher because of ball handling, vision, and things I have heard about Paolo's IQ and character
    5. Shaedon Sharpe - Insane athlete with an all around game. Upside gamble, with him being the highest odds of any remaining to be an All-NBA caliber player

Drop Off

6. Keegan Murray - Like his potential on both ends. Size is why I have him over the next guy
    7. Benedict Mathurin - Love his fire and stroke. Competes on both ends, would be a terrific fit from a culture and skill standpoint
    8. Jeremy Sochan - Probably too high, but the exact kind of guy I love. Imagine Herb with more nasty and more skill
    9. Adrian Griffin, Jr. - I know most people will have him higher but I dont think he has that killer in him. Maybe he is better in the half court with more space, but for now he is just 3-and-D with no playmaking
    10. Dyson Daniels - Had a lot of guys right around each other, so this was just a fit thing as a tiebreaker. Could also be talked into Eason, Branham, or Davis here.
    @mcnamara247

...we get to go McDonalds
    Pretty much how I see it, except I have the 3 bigs at 1,2,3.

Chet's the ideal pick given the player value at the moment. He doesn't need the ball in his hands and he's a rim protector. I'd feel perfectly comfortable throwing him out there with the group right now. With Zion, BI, and CJ, I think he just fits and there'd be a clear role for him. Banchero's the one I'd worry about in regards to fit. I see his offensive upside, but he plays zero defense and I'm not sure we can accommodate that at the moment. I'd feel lucky if we hit on the 3rd slot (and Chet and Jabari are off the board), but you'd really have to weigh the position vs overall talent against Ivey. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd take the positional value of Ivey if you put a gun to my head right now.

Mathurin scares me as I think he's making his living off the 30 point game. I've seen him force issues so much that I'd take him given his athletic upside, but I wouldn't feel good about it.

Jaden and Ben would be my guys. CJ could probably run point at a high level for another 5 seasons. So, BPA is such a tricky situation with all these forwards in the top ten.

We do need another really solid to good two way player to really put us over the top.

We also need a Rim protecting defensive big. I think that's a fix that may be left unresolved unless try to trade back. It's not an essential need, but when deep playoff runs goes into do or die ISO. You got to be able to protect the Rim.

I see you saying 'CJ for the next 5 years' in multiple threads and I think you are in for disappointment if those are your expectations. My guess is that you are projecting that based off recent examples like Cp3 or Lowry, but they are outliers plus they have way different games. I expect a Lou Williams or Jason Terry type of gradual decline for CJ, starting probably in 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I see you saying 'CJ for the next 5 years' in multiple threads and I think you are in for disappointment if those are your expectations. My guess is that you are projecting that based off recent examples like Cp3 or Lowry, but they are outliers plus they have way different games. I expect a Lou Williams or Jason Terry type of gradual decline for CJ, starting probably in 2 years
    We'll see. I wasn't really thinking of Cp3 or Lowry. Just the natural maturation of the roster around him. I think CJ can probably thrive longer than his shelf life with prime guys around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We'll see. I wasn't really thinking of Cp3 or Lowry. Just the natural maturation of the roster around him. I think CJ can probably thrive longer than his shelf life with prime guys around him.
    I think he can be fine, but the defense is already a negative and every bit the offense slips just makes him less of a plus. Now, he will still be better than Devonte in 5 years (who isnt) but I think you need a succession plan by 2025. I think 2026 CJ would be somewhat equivalent to what Jordan Clarkson is this year. Can have the occassional 30 point night but is more of an X Factor than a guy you count on game in and game out

I think he can be fine, but the defense is already a negative and every bit the offense slips just makes him less of a plus. Now, he will still be better than Devonte in 5 years (who isnt) but I think you need a succession plan by 2025. I think 2026 CJ would be somewhat equivalent to what Jordan Clarkson is this year. Can have the occassional 30 point night but is more of an X Factor than a guy you count on game in and game out
    I think by year 3... You have to have a succession plan.

The other interesting thought experiment with this list is.... Where do vets rank?

As in, where would you put SGA (and his max contract) if OKC is willing to trade him? Would you give up the 1st pick? The 2nd? How about Dejonte Murray? Would you rather him or Ivey, assuming you get the 4th pick? OG or Shaedon Sharpe? John Collins or Jabari Smith?

The other interesting thought experiment with this list is.... Where do vets rank?

As in, where would you put SGA (and his max contract) if OKC is willing to trade him? Would you give up the 1st pick? The 2nd? How about Dejonte Murray? Would you rather him or Ivey, assuming you get the 4th pick? OG or Shaedon Sharpe? John Collins or Jabari Smith?
    I don't think there is anyway we can fit SGA MAX on this roster. $29 million next season. We would need to move $24 million right?

Graham
    Temple
    Lance

or

Graham
    Temple
    Kira
    Willy
    Naji

Kind of Yikes

The other option is

Kira
    Graham
    Temple

$20.7 million can get you salary of $25.8 million player back...

Graham, Temple, Kira, and then sign the pick and trade him 60 days later works. Can also include Jaxson. Heck, I would be open to including Val to make salary work. Point is, you can do it if you really want. If you see him as a piece that makes you a real contender with Zion, CJ, BI and Herb

Graham, Temple, Kira, and then sign the pick and trade him 60 days later works. Can also include Jaxson. Heck, I would be open to including Val to make salary work. Point is, you can do it if you really want. If you see him as a piece that makes you a real contender with Zion, CJ, BI and Herb
    We still have a $6 million trade exception that expires on july 7th too

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

Can sort the 2022 salary. Some interesting guys in that 20-30 million range

LMAO at 49th salary... $30 million in 2024....

I know you're not the biggest Val fan, but gambling on the finding another 5 is so risky. The position group can be a bottomless cavern in play quality. No matter who you get... Their game is gonna have a big drawback in something. So, I would pass on moving Val at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We still have a $6 million trade exception that expires on july 7th too
    Wont matter much. Cant combine it in a trade

Wont matter much. Cant combine it in a trade
    Damn, I always forget about that.

The top end of this draft is so Forward/Wing heavy and I honestly think we're capped out in that regard. I'd be ok trading out the top 10 pick and Devonte for a 6th man guard who can really break down/collapse a defence, play under control, limit turnovers, play good D and knock down a 3.

Might be a bit of a struggle but surely someone out there fits the description (or most of it).

I don't understand why some fans are getting hyped about the idea of bringing in a SG to this team? That only forces CJ to play MORE point guard and/or pushes down Herb's minutes.

A pure PG who can really get into the lane at will and find our shooters on kick outs and guard the best opposing guard would be ideal and give CJ more minutes at SG and add a dimension to this team we don't really have.

Sure CJ can break a guy down 1on1 but it's kinda slow and methodical and doesn't collapse the D suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    The top end of this draft is so Forward/Wing heavy and I honestly think we're capped out in that regard. I'd be ok trading out the top 10 pick and Devonte for a 6th man guard who can really break down/collapse a defence, play under control, limit turnovers, play good D and knock down a 3.

Might be a bit of a struggle but surely someone out there fits the description (or most of it).

I don't understand why some fans are getting hyped about the idea of bringing in a SG to this team? That only forces CJ to play MORE point guard and/or pushes down Herb's minutes.

A pure PG who can really get into the lane at will and find our shooters on kick outs and guard the best opposing guard would be ideal and give CJ more minutes at SG and add a dimension to this team we don't really have.

Sure CJ can break a guy down 1on1 but it's kinda slow and methodical and doesn't collapse the D suddenly.
    You dont draft a guy in 2022 for 2022.

Guys dont reach their prime until year 4 or 5. Especially 19 year olds. You are drafting for 2026-2035. Who on this roster are you SURE will be on the team then?

On top of that, there is no such thing as too many good wings. And if, somehow, you have that problem, you have the best trade asset in the league.

If we get pick 9 or 10, sure, go try to find a great piece. If the Pels climb into the top 4, it better be a sure fire All Star to pass on those guys on rookie contracts. Even if they arent a current position of need.

You dont draft a guy in 2022 for 2022.

Guys dont reach their prime until year 4 or 5. Especially 19 year olds. You are drafting for 2026-2035. Who on this roster are you SURE will be on the team then?

On top of that, there is no such thing as too many good wings. And if, somehow, you have that problem, you have the best trade asset in the league.

If we get pick 9 or 10, sure, go try to find a great piece. If the Pels climb into the top 4, it better be a sure fire All Star to pass on those guys on rookie contracts. Even if they arent a current position of need.
    Yea I should clarify I'm purely talking about the 9th/10th pick in my previous post, I'm not terribly hopeful of top 4.

If the team did land top 4 then you grab Jaden and trade Devonte for a donut.

CJ/Jaden/Jose
    Herb/CJ/Naji
    BI/Trey
    Zion/Nance
    JV/Jax

Thats more than fine.

If we trade back i would love to have Sochan! Especially when we go small, have him at the 5 or 4 spot and watch him switch out to guards and make it tough for them... his defensive iq at such a young age is amazing. His ability to switch against smaller guards is pretty valuable especially with how today's game is being played... he is what we hope jax would become eventually minus the super athletic ability and height...

Here's my top 10 for the Pels:

1. Chet Holmgren- Upside pick for sure, but he's literally the perfect player to play the 5 for us next to Zion. Having two unicorns in the frontcourt that fit perfectly, that's the dream here. Chet is easily my #1 dream target.
    2. Jabari Smith- his size, shooting and defense are too much to pass up. Has the second highest ceiling in the draft and is more ready to contribute from day one. If he improves his handle and shot creation, he could be an all-nba talent.
    3. Jaden Ivey- been my favorite prospect in this class for months. We could make up for not taking Ja(taking Zion was the right decision at the time, but it hurts now) by getting Ivey here. The dude is elite at getting to the rim, can play defense, can shoot, etc.. basically he can do everything we need from a lead guard. I think he could learn from CJ for a few years until CJ's decline. Fits the culture and having 3 scoring options currently ahead of him to start his career, would take the pressure off of him and let him develop at his own pace. I would be fine taking him at 2.
    4. Paolo Banchero- very talented player that has no fit on this team. The only way I could see him being part of the future, is if Zion was gone. Still too talented to pass on at 4th overall.
    5. Shaedon Sharpe- pure upside pick, since we've never seen him against college or G-League competition. Still, he has elite upside. Could end up being the best prospect out of the entire class. Can score at all 3 levels, elite athleticism, etc..
    6. Johnny Davis- love his hustle, his energy, he's very good at cutting off passing lanes and getting steals, can score at all 3 levels. Natural leader, thrives in big moments. He would be my 6a while 6b would be..
    7. Bennedict Mathurin- like MM said, would be a great culture fit, which we've seen how important that is. Great shooter and tremendous athlete. Good defender when locked in. I go back and forth on him and Davis.
    8. Keegan Murray- he is on the same level as Davis and Mathurin as far as skill goes, I just prefer the fit of the guards better. But as far as a stretch big, this guy has all the traits you look for. Can defend and protect the rim. Good rebounder. Good shooter for his size. I really like his game. Could be a very good small ball 5.
    9. AJ Griffin- his potential is definitely there to be a great 3 and D. Good size, good athlete, good shooter. Good prospect, but nothing overly exciting..
    10. Tari Eason- good athlete who became a good shooter as the season went on. Think he fits with the culture and would help us defensively right away, while developing his offensive game. Could've also went Tyty or Duren here. Was tough choosing between those 3.

That would be my top 10 as of day. 6-10 will certainly change between now and draft day.

I dont know why its hard for me to get there on Davis. I just dont see the upside. I have no doubt that he will make it in the league, but role players are usually role players for their 2nd or 3rd or 4th team. Not for the team who drafts them. Then again, it is rare for a team with this much talent to have a top 10 pick. He is the toughest guy for me. I could see getting all on board and having him at 5 or 6, or really not wanting him

We don't have the pick yet

But everyone seems to be speaking it into existence, which I cant argue with

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We don't have the pick yet

But everyone seems to be speaking it into existence, which I cant argue with
    I mean, objective odds say the Pels are more likely to get it than not, based on where things stand right now. That said, I still think there is a danger of Lakers getting 10th seed in West and easily going through us and the Clippers if AD and Lebron are 100%. The Spurs gotta keep winning and AD needs to have a set back for me to feel comfortable at all.

I'm going to go with the most realistic scenario of the team picking in the 8-10 range. I've been high on Benedict for the longest and his stock has gone up even farther to the point where he probably won't be there in the 8-10 range.

Sharpe would seem to be a good fit but I have to seem him play.

I like Griffin as well as long as he can defend the 2 spot at the NBA level.

Thread Information