Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Centric 2022 Top-10 Prospects

The Franchise
    I like Smith, then Sharpe or Benedict. I’m planning on Smith in case Zion stays injured or gets moved. After that we need athletic guards hence Sharpe/Benedict. Ivey is someone I just feel weary about but wouldn’t be opposed to him. Other than that trade for a good PG or SG.

My board would be the following :
    1) Jabari Smith : great shooter, able to play off the ball and also one of the best defender of this class. I don't buy the lack of upside for a player so young.
    2) Chet Holmgren : Great player but I'm scared of potential injuries.
    3) Jaden Ivey : nice guard with potential to be special but also might struggle in the halfcourt in the NBA.
    4) Paolo Banchero : I'm a bit affraid by his tendency to ball stop. His lack of defensive abilities worries me for our core (with ou without Zion)
    5) Benedict Mathurin : Defensive consistency is an issue but superstar upside.
    6) Johnny Davis : Jamal Murray type of prospect to me, could be very intriguing as lead guard.
    7) Keegan Murray : I like his versatility as modern 4.
    8) Tari Eason : Same thing as K.Murray, could benefit from Vinson program to continue his improvement.
    9) Jeremy Sochan : Love his upside, if Vinson could make his shoot even decent he could end up as one of the best player in the draft.
    10) AJ Griffin : Nice prospect, could be higher if his knees were better

Here’s a question:

How many guys would you throw all the Lakers assets in for? So, let’s say #9 this year, swap rights with Lakers next year, and the Lakers 24(25) pick

For me, I would give that up for Chet and would go back and forth for weeks on whether I would give it up for Jabari and Ivey. Eventually though, I probably would and definitely would if that team took the Graham contract
    @mcnamara247

Def Chet
    Ivey if I could get Bey and Stewart as well

That’s getting greedy. Trading into Tier 1 of the draft is very rare and when you do, you gotta give up a lot

Draft Pick
    This would be a pretty exciting coup. The needs I would have if I were GM is a versatile 2 guard and a defensive big. This is a good draft for 2 guards, should one fall into the Pels' lap. I think Griffin is one of those players that could fill a needed role with his length in defense and his phenomenal shooting, but I also see his game as potentially growing into something a little more over time. I haven't watched Davis at all beyond highlights, so I don't have an opinion. Sharpe falling within range could be such a steal.

What do you all think about Mark Williams? I think he's moving up the boards with his tournament play. 8 on the board seems high for him, but he could be useful, and it's worth thinking about if all the SGs have been swallowed up and you're thinking about fit, as much as I'd love to see somebody like Eason develop as a Pel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lautreamont View Post
    This would be a pretty exciting coup. The needs I would have if I were GM is a versatile 2 guard and a defensive big. This is a good draft for 2 guards, should one fall into the Pels' lap. I think Griffin is one of those players that could fill a needed role with his length in defense and his phenomenal shooting, but I also see his game as potentially growing into something a little more over time. I haven't watched Davis at all beyond highlights, so I don't have an opinion. Sharpe falling within range could be such a steal.

What do you all think about Mark Williams? I think he's moving up the boards with his tournament play. 8 on the board seems high for him, but he could be useful, and it's worth thinking about if all the SGs have been swallowed up and you're thinking about fit, as much as I'd love to see somebody like Eason develop as a Pel.
    I think that you never draft for need, and there is no world in which Williams has the 8th or 9th best chance of being a great player, so I wouldnt consider him. Now, if you trade down and maybe package Graham and 8 for say 19 and Brogdon, then I would consider him.

But I never think 'need' for one simple reason -- the guy you are drafting wont really be the player he is going to be until 2025 or 2026. And you dont know what the needs of THAT team will be. So, why draft need for 2022? You always take the guy you think will have the best chance of becoming a true difference maker. And a lot of people say positional need can be the "tiebreaker" but they just use that as an excuse to take need. Because no two guys are ever truly tied.

Make your board as if your roster was empty and take top guy on that board. Now, things like your team philosophy can come into play. Like, if you wanna play switch defense, maybe you like the 6'6" guard over the 6 foot guard. Thats not positional need. But if there is one thing I believe more than any in team building is that you NEVER factor in need. Worst case scenario, if you draft a stud who doesnt fit with your team, you have great assets to trade. If Sacto takes Luka and him and Fox couldnt work together, they would have two assets on rookie deals that they could have gotten a haul for either one. Great problem to have. Much better problem than having Bagley

That said, the shooting guards will be an interesting debate come draft time. I think Sharpe is the first one of the board, but its crazy that him and Hardy were probably seen as equal prospects heading into the year -- one plays against men professionally and one doesnt play at all, and the one who didnt play was elevated. I think those two, Mathurin, Davis and Daniels should all go lottery. Daniels is the toughest one for me, because I love so much of his game but he cant shoot (yet) and doesnt get to the line. Competes like crazy, though, good passer, crafty, and willing defender.

Probably just me, but Chet for some weird reason reminds me a little bit of a young Anthony Davis. Seeing a lot of places compare him to Kristaps Porzingis is just the usual for NBA prospects.

I consider Chet to be his own tier, however if he isn’t then I can’t disagree. I’m also thinking about the possibility of a Zion draft day trade

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Here’s a question:

How many guys would you throw all the Lakers assets in for? So, let’s say #9 this year, swap rights with Lakers next year, and the Lakers 24(25) pick

For me, I would give that up for Chet and would go back and forth for weeks on whether I would give it up for Jabari and Ivey. Eventually though, I probably would and definitely would if that team took the Graham contract
    I think for a top 2 pick, I would. Even if the Lakers are currently a mess, it may not stay the same two years from now and also there's Milwaukee's picks as additional assets to make a move.

Are folks still on the Chet Chrain?

I thought this was a fun list of the “who’s who” of this upcoming draft.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

I’m fine with us landing any of the players considered among the top 10. We have good talent to work with, but we could always use more across the board.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 04-03-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Are folks still on the Chet Chrain?

I thought this was a fun list of the “who’s who” of this upcoming draft.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

I’m fine with us landing any of the players considered among the top 10. We have good talent to work with, but we could always use more across the board.
    Mac mentioned Jeremy Sochan in the OP. Kevin has him listed as a top 10 prospect. I actually wouldn't be upset if we took him 8-10. Just imagine if Herb ever missed time with an injury. We'd be screwed. We could use another beast on defense.

Even if he doesnt....you just keep adding good young players and worst case scenario is that you have awesome trade assets. If Boston had 3 Jaylen Brown's, do you think they would wish they only had one and had a lesser center instead?

Trey, Ingram, Herb, Zion.... I dont care that we have really good forwards already. If another forward is the best player on your board when its time to pick, take another one. You will never regret having too many, especially if they are two-way forwards

BPA, BPA, BPA

It's always BPA

Quote Originally Posted by redboy0125 View Post
    Mac mentioned Jeremy Sochan in the OP. Kevin has him listed as a top 10 prospect. I actually wouldn't be upset if we took him 8-10. Just imagine if Herb ever missed time with an injury. We'd be screwed. We could use another beast on defense.
    Im on the Sochan train as well and his draft stock is slowly going higher and higher... if he can have a good shot kid will be amazing... he's pretty young but advanced at the defensive end already.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Would a committed Zion make Jalen Duren more viable or less viable as a prospect with the Lakers pick?

I would say less. Guy shows no signs of a perimeter game and is as raw as Jaxson was coming out. I dont see the team wanting to wait another 4 years on a guy who might one day make it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He seems more advanced as a weakside rim protector but I can see that too.

We sure we can't find a rim protecting big with no offense without wasting a pick on it.

pretty comfortable with Benedict Mathurin

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    pretty comfortable with Benedict Mathurin
    Me too, but I'd rather see them just put the assets in and get the best player they can. Think of NAW and Trey and Kira and Hayes -- thats more often than not what you get in late lotto/mid first. You would trade all four of those for LaMelo or Ant or Mobley or Cade or Scottie, right? Go find the guy you think is that and give up 8, 2023, and the Lakers 2024/25 pick and just get a major piece

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Me too, but I'd rather see them just put the assets in and get the best player they can. Think of NAW and Trey and Kira and Hayes -- thats more often than not what you get in late lotto/mid first. You would trade all four of those for LaMelo or Ant or Mobley or Cade or Scottie, right? Go find the guy you think is that and give up 8, 2023, and the Lakers 2024/25 pick and just get a major piece
    Is there that guy in this draft or are you saying to go find a veteran?

So far, if they land 1 or 2, I say go get Chet or Jabari (in that order).

If it's 3 or 4, and the workouts and interviews go well...go get Shaedon Sharpe.

Otherwise, I'm wide open to selling the pick for the largest haul possible, including some plug and play shooters.

This feels like a draft where Ekpe Udoh goes 6th or Al-Farouq Aminu goes 8th.

Season Ticket Holder
    With Chet, how much weight do you put into his injury risk?

Do we hedge and pick a guy with a less injury-prone body type? Obviously, he's his own guy and should not be judged by the injury history of other tall, skinny guys. But we already have our own injury-prone super-prospect. Do we go for a safer pick because Zion is so injury prone? Or does that not factor in?

Thread Information