Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I Was Wrong

I Was Wrong

A man has to believe in his convictions but also must admit when he is wrong. Win or lose this game, I was wrong about THIS team. These guys are different. More heart, more effort, more IQ. Still need more talent and more cohesion, but they got the other stuff and I wont doubt that again
    @mcnamara247

They do play with heart Mac. Not always with high IQ though.
    Last edited by Chavan30; 03-27-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Heart AND IQ

I have seen versions with heart before. Havent seen one with IQ since CP3

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We’ve passed several tests this season. Willie Green has been stellar and this draft class was everything er needed. Hope we can build on it. And so something with the wet farts known as Val and Graham.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    A man has to believe in his convictions but also must admit when he is wrong. Win or lose this game, I was wrong about THIS team. These guys are different. More heart, more effort, more IQ. Still need more talent and more cohesion, but they got the other stuff and I wont doubt that again
    It's a fun team to watch. It's hard to not root for guys like Herb, Jose, Trey... and that's just the damn rookies. It's a great team, and still missing what could be their best player. Lots to look forward to and enjoy.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    This team is different, maybe special. And I knew they were gonna win when Red panda messed up, some one conjured up some good ju ju for them lmao

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I see it, you all see it... and you can bet Zion sees it too

He took those lessons from Pop. He was playing the momentum game so masterfully.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Thank you. I understand reactionary emotion but some of the posts when were down 20 were head-scratching.

This team is fun to watch and easy to root for - easier than any I can recall since the best Hornets years. The big question is whether and if Zion can fit into this mix, but it's easy to imagine him buying in to this on-court chemistry and energy.

And it all starts at the top with Willie. I've scratched my head at some of his decisions (playing Garrett for so long over Trey...) but he and Griff have assembled one of the most likable and promising rosters this franchise has ever seen. We obviously need some more talent, but I'm excited for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    Thank you. I understand reactionary emotion but some of the posts when were down 20 were head-scratching.

This team is fun to watch and easy to root for - easier than any I can recall since the best Hornets years. The big question is whether and if Zion can fit into this mix, but it's easy to imagine him buying in to this on-court chemistry and energy.

And it all starts at the top with Willie. I've scratched my head at some of his decisions (playing Garrett for so long over Trey...) but he and Griff have assembled one of the most likable and promising rosters this franchise has ever seen. We obviously need some more talent, but I'm excited for the future.
    Because coming back from a 23 point deficit is something we do often. People where 100% right to make that reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Because coming back from a 23 point deficit is something we do often. People where 100% right to make that reaction.
    No, they weren't. Even if we hadn't come back and we lost this game, everything I said above still holds. Whether or not we even make the play-in this year, it still holds. We've battled hard with a scrappy, talented, but young roster - without TWO all-stars for much of the year (and with CJ for only a fraction) - and the guys are playing together, with passion and humility. To freak out over one half of a basketball given the context of all that is just silly.

They also had just lost to an inferior Spurs team at home as well, to be fair. Needed Derozen to be out to steal one vs the Bulls. Lets not crown this team quite yet. I still dont think it is capable of beating good teams more often than not, but it wont quit. Thats step 1. They will add talent and cohesion on top of that, but the foundation is there

They also had just lost to an inferior Spurs team at home as well, to be fair. Needed Derozen to be out to steal one vs the Bulls. Lets not crown this team quite yet. I still dont think it is capable of beating good teams more often than not, but it wont quit. Thats step 1. They will add talent and cohesion on top of that, but the foundation is there
    Put it another way, the Bulls needed Ingram and Zion to be out in order to hang with us and they still lost. This Pelicans squad is still not close to their full potential. We are talking about a team with a first year coach, rookies playing big minutes, a team leader who has been on the squad for less than 20 games, and a franchise level talent who has been out all season.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Put it another way, the Bulls needed Ingram and Zion to be out in order to hang with us and they still lost. This Pelicans squad is still not close to their full potential. We are talking about a team with a first year coach, rookies playing big minutes, a team leader who has been on the squad for less than 20 games, and a franchise level talent who has been out all season.
    Standing applause.

I agree, they will be better. Just saying that the unrealistic highs are sometimes as bad as the unrealistic lows. The thoughts of what this team was after that 4 game win streak, for example, were not a proper reflection of who they are. The reaction at the half today was probably a little much too. Its a team with above average offensive talent, average defensive talent that could add a top 5 offensive talent and a top 10 pick this offseason. And has plenty of room for internal growth on top of that. Good future, but I see no problems with questioning how good they really are at present. I would say, for instance, they are the 8th best team in the West. Probably 14th in the NBA. Thats average. Which is great for now

I prefer the way you word it better. No one expected this out of the Pelicans at the start of the season. I don't think anyone is crowning this team at the moment. I do feel like we have some very good pieces in place to build upon after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I prefer the way you word it better. No one expected this out of the Pelicans at the start of the season. I don't think anyone is crowning this team at the moment. I do feel like we have some very good pieces in place to build upon after this season.
    I had written the Pelicans off after the way the season started, I'll admit it. No way I would have believed what they've been able to accomplish with Ingram and Zion out. Even the best teams in the league would struggle having two all star caliber players subtracted from the lineup.

But several things have happened this year. Coach Willie Green surpassed expectations in a big way. Guys like Herb and Jose came out of nowhere and are balling. The CJ trade alone made up for every misstep of Griffen's tenure. Having a true team leader + 3rd bonafide all star caliber player truly changed the equation for this team. And above all, you can see the team chemistry and culture forming before our eyes. This squad has an energy about them, they are coming together as a team, not just winning games but having a lot of fun doing it.

I’m in.

Won’t Back Down

Props on the public change. Not a lot of people have the integrity to do that.

Yeah. Maintaining this locker room environment is more important than draft stock. I'm loving this season.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Props on the public change. Not a lot of people have the integrity to do that.

Yeah. Maintaining this locker room environment is more important than draft stock. I'm loving this season.
    You are back! Where did you go?

Just curious but was there a possession or time where you feel this team has IQ was on display?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    This team is different, maybe special. And I knew they were gonna win when Red panda messed up, some one conjured up some good ju ju for them lmao
    Never seen Red Panda quit before. That was WILD.

Btw this draft class reminds me of the Saints really good draft years back.

Jose, Herb and Trey will all be key contributes down the road which is crazy to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Just curious but was there a possession or time where you feel this team has IQ was on display?
    It’s the being happy with the singles component that they haven’t had in a decade. That is actually the hardest thing in professional basketball. Think about it - almost all these guys were the best players in their city or state in HS. Usually the best in college. Always making big plays, on highlight reels, putting up big numbers, getting hyped up by hundreds to thousands of people after games. Can do no wrong, anything is possible.

From that vantage point, it is HARD to acknowledge your limits and reign yourself in. Easier to try crazy stuff, especially when you are down 20 and you think it all has to go on your shoulders and you gotta be Superman like you were in HS

But last night they got 20 and just continued to hit singles. That is a BIG step. Phoenix just hits singles all game. That’s the highest level of basketball, which people forget because they get caught up watching Kobe dunks and Steph 40 footers

Hit singles

Hit singles
    No doubt that it's incredibly important to value each possession and work as a team to create the most efficient shot, to "hit the single."

But when you're in a hole like the Pelicans were in the 3rd quarter last night, it's also important to be able to hit some 3-run blasts when you really need them. And Trigger Trey came through in his most important minutes as a Pelican. His teammates recognized that he had the hot hand, and they found him throughout the 3rd quarter. And Trey had the maturity to drive the ball into the lane when the 3-pointer wasn't open.

I hope this performance provides the young man with the confidence to become a consistent producer for the Pelicans going forward. The sky is the limit for a future starting lineup that features BI, CJ, Zion, with a consistent Trey at shooting guard.

Thread Information