Pelicans Report

Thread: January 28th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Denver Nuggets - 18-29

Pelicans January 28th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Denver Nuggets - 18-29

The Pels take on the Nuggets, tonight. The Nuggets are 26-21, and have won 4 of their last 5 including wins over Brooklyn and Clippers, but also two wins over the woeful Pistons. So it's a weird 4 games of winning, in terms of implications.

They're led by Nikola Jokic, who has missed some games this year, but who is following his MVP campaign with yet another campaign of pure excellence.

Jokic is averaging 26/14/7.5 on 65.2%TS, is leading the league in PER, WS, WS/48, BPM, and VORP (for the second consecutive year) and is also leading the NBA in EPM: The gap in EPM between Jokic (+9.4) and second place (Curry, +7.6) is 1.8. This is larger than the gap between Curry and 5th place (Giannis). He is having yet another incredible year. And he's doing it with improved defense as well; he's actually in the 99th percentile for defense so far this year, and his on/off is +22. Which is just absurd.

Of course, part of the reason his on/off is so gaudy is that the Nuggets are pretty awful without him. Missing both Jamal Murray and Michael Porter Jr for the entire year, and having dealt with a number of injuries to the already fairly shallow rotation through the season, Jokic has been left carrying a fairly middling team, which explains why the Nuggets are only slightly above .500 and why he's not going to repeat as MVP despite playing on that level.

Will the Nuggets recent winning streak continue in New Orleans, or can the Pels overcome an entire hospital ward's worth of injuries to pull one out? Who knows, let's find out.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    When the heck did Cousins end up on Denver? I’ve really stopped paying attention to this season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    NAW would be pretty good if he could shoot at a decent consistency or %. Hernangomez is giving us 90% of Jonas. If we can package Jonas for something good, do it, and extend Billy.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    When the heck did Cousins end up on Denver? I’ve really stopped paying attention to this season.
    i said the same thing...last time i saw him he was playing against us for the bucks...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    NAW would be pretty good if he could shoot at a decent consistency or %. Hernangomez is giving us 90% of Jonas. If we can package Jonas for something good, do it, and extend Billy.
    im down with billy but we need jonas at center...we got to see jonas,,zion and ingram together as a big 3 and see how far they can take us...

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Last night was a good basketball game. I can handle a loss like that when we are so undermanned. Willie is coaching very well.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Last night was a good basketball game. I can handle a loss like that when we are so undermanned. Willie is coaching very well.
    I agree.

In fairness, Denver is also undermanned, but they have a top 5 player handling the offense and we don't, so it's not quite even despite the injury list.

A close loss to a playoff team is not something I'm getting upset over.

Willie is it man

Thread Information