Pelicans Report

Thread: January 17th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 16-27

Pelicans January 17th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Boston Celtics - 16-27

On the road against the 22-22 Boston Celtics.

Let's go
    Basketball.

Well... We always seem to get a classic game out of the Celtics. I hope for a fun time.

NAW has some of the worst shot selection with someone that has a bad touch to boot

That was a bad way to end the half...celtics are back and have the confidence now

If Herb wasn't drafted i would have stopped following this season mid November...

How can you possibly play 18 minutes of basketball and not register a single point, rebound or assist?

The love for over the hill vets from NBA coaches is mind boggling. It's happened with every coach dating back to Monty.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    How can you possibly play 18 minutes of basketball and not register a single point, rebound or assist?

The love for over the hill vets from NBA coaches is mind boggling. It's happened with every coach dating back to Monty.
    Especially you have a rookie whose numbers have been BETTER in extremely limited play riding the bench not getting the experience he needs.

I love this team and this coach, but I just don't get it.

Graham is horrible on defense. He offers nothing outside of 3pt shooting.

I'm about to just stop watching as long as this continues. If they are losing games then what's the point? Especially when you know both Trey and Naji are longer, more athletic, with higher upside.

They've been sitting for a long time now. What's the hold up?

That should put an end to our play-in game talk for awhile

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9dnRdBGJeVE
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-17-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Taped the game. Watching now. Pels up 11 at end of first. Looking good!!

Pels up 18 halfway through the 2nd quarter. Cruising!

Did Willie play with Garrett? I do not understand why we are not giving Murphy some of Temple's time to see if he can develop.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Did Willie play with Garrett? I do not understand why we are not giving Murphy some of Temple's time to see if he can develop.
    Do you really think Gary Clark (who we picked up off the street) would be playing ahead of the team's # 1 Draft Pick if TM3 showed anything at all in games or at practice. TM3's value is in his shot as he's a turnstile defensively. He had a lot of run early in the season (check the game logs) and flopped grandly. Best thing we can do for him is to send him to Birmingham (of course I said the same thing about JAX and was ultimately proven right as his growth has been a massive disappointment).

Now if you or wondering where Naji is, that's a whole different story.

What a player does in practice, especially a rookie, makes no difference to most coaches whatsoever. Most teams don't even get to hold full practice much once the season starts.

For most coaches, their security blanket are these 10 year vets. That's who they trust most when the real game starts. And for most coaches that is a major fault. We see this over and over again.

Even last year when NAW was putting up stellar numbers as a starter, SVG refused to sit Bledsoe even when this guy admits he zoned out on crucial game instructions to foul.

It is what it is. Willie isn't as bad as SVG but this thing with Temple is getting out of hand. Temple even struggles to register a triple single. He damned near didn't register a single stat today in 18 minutes.

Especially in this super early start road game where you know they are going to struggle with energy and focus, why not give your young hungry players a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Do you really think Gary Clark (who we picked up off the street) would be playing ahead of the team's # 1 Draft Pick if TM3 showed anything at all in games or at practice. TM3's value is in his shot as he's a turnstile defensively. He had a lot of run early in the season (check the game logs) and flopped grandly. Best thing we can do for him is to send him to Birmingham (of course I said the same thing about JAX and was ultimately proven right as his growth has been a massive disappointment).

Now if you or wondering where Naji is, that's a whole different story.
    Gary Clark should not be getting playing time over Murphy or Marshall. Green should be developing the young players for the future this season. I agree that if he is not going to get playing time here, he should be sent to Birmingham to get some court time. He got good run the first dozen or so games of the season and was not terrible offensively. Heck, he hasn't shot that much worse than Graham. .

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

It is what it is. Willie isn't as bad as SVG but this thing with Temple is getting out of hand. ?
    It's night and day and not even close. If it were, Herb would still be fighting for PT and the undrafted Alvarado would be getting more run in Birmingham than he is at the SKA.

I think TM3 needs work on his handles and his footwork defensively. Birmingham would be the perfect place for him to do that. He also needs to work on his strength, but that's hard to do in-season)

This season mirrors '19--20 in a lot of ways.

- No Zion to start the season
    - JAX gets a lot of early season run in '19-'20; TM3 gets a lot of early season run this year.
    - Both ultimately get benched after their 'God-awful' start (the team was on life-support, too).
    - Both need playing time to develop, but playing them in 'The Show' is a nightmare.

Erie should have been the ticket in '19-'20 fot JAX. Birmingham should be the route we take now for TM3.

Even today, the jury is still out on JAX; I don't want to wait three years to decide if TM3 is a keeper or not

Never expect anything from this team - as soon as you think that they have a chance to win, the guys play like today in the 2nd half…

Basketball Guru

at this point im forcing myself to believe that temple and hayes are playing to try and get some value in a trade.....

to me clark and naji should be getting temple mins..they both play defense, hustle and give you something on offense....

its crazy that you have to bench jax for him to give you something but the dude still cant rebound smdh...i didnt see any bad play from billy that made willie move hayes back into the second unit so im forcing myself to believe temple and jax are going out together....

Outside of Zion not playing this year, NAW has been the biggest disappointment. He does nothing to help this team. It may be time to say goodbye to him.

Then there's the rest of our bench which is just putrid. I don't understand why Trey and Naji aren't playing, I mean seriously, why not play them. That's on Willie Green who I hope is just making first time coaching mistakes by playing Temple and Clark but to be honest there are times where I do question Willie Green. I know alot is operating on just his faith in the team to win since he doesn't have much to work w/ but I sometimes wonder what he's thinking. He does remind me alot of (kinder) SVG.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Graham is horrible on defense. He offers nothing outside of 3pt shooting.
    When he is your starting pg then you know your team is not that good...he is better suited as a 6th man type.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    When he is your starting pg then you know your team is not that good...he is better suited as a 6th man type.
    Yeah, I think we would have been better off keeping Ball and having Graham play along side of him or come off the bench.

Thread Information