Pelicans Report

Thread: The Ringer on Fall Out From Zion's Injury...

The Ringer on Fall Out From Zion's Injury...

Pretty much just restates what we know, but good read. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1...pelicans-trade

Here's a better read (ignore the word usage errors). Vultures indeed.

With a player like Zion in town, our fair city is hammered by interests far beyond its normal amount. This situation is worst than Anthony Davis. It’s bigger than Anthony Davis. And with an ever-growing culture that openly expresses disdain for small market franchises and places superstar catering above all players and above all organizations, holding a player of Zion’s pedigree will only grow to become more difficult. It will not be impossible still to build competent teams here, only more difficult to interest ready-made superstars that, through marketing and potential, that are “once-in-a-generation”.
    https://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2...-of-zion-land/

Yes, this pretty much sums up my views on the subject. Landing the "once-in-generation" player may in fact be a curse for small markets--kind of like that old Twilight Zone episode where the guy thinks he's gone to heaven because he's getting everything he wants, but it turns out to be a version of hell.

I don't like the super-star driven vision of the NBA, especially as fomented by commentators, agents and even the players themselves. Agree that it has corroded the league even to the point, as Michael Lewis pointed out, that its superstars who complain most to the refs because, at heart, they think they deserve calls other players don't get. As a long time season ticket holder I'd be perfectly happy building a team without the "once-in-a-generation" player at the heart of squad. I know it would be more enjoyable month-in-and-month-out.

Thread Information