Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What Now?

So I checked this out with a buddy of mine who used to be with Goldman Sachs and has specifically worked on sports team acquisitions. He said he’s heard nothing about a Pels sale but said that buy-side guys—basically billionaires who want to get in the club + the camp advisors who stand to make a small fortune on an acquisition—are always chumming the waters about teams being “on the block.” It’s the equivalent of short-sellers in the market trying to drive a stock down with a whisper campaign. Of course the team could be sold, but apparently there is a ton of disinformation being spread around. My buddy said he actually thinks expansion is much more likely than a relocation. NBA doesn’t like it. Plus the expansion fees paid to the owners would enormous. Take it for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I have never claimed inside info in the past, nor do I make wagers unless ice cream is on the line (check my receipts on this site). I have nothing to gain by sharing this, and from a point of civic pride it sucks that it?s true.

Anyway, don’t catch long term feelings for this team.
    I don’t buy that you bring this up because you care about the long term feelings of forum posters you barely know.

If you believe you’re right and REALLY cared about the long term feelings of posters here, you’d give specifics to make it easier to cut ties.

If you can’t give specifics, then the decent thing to do would have been not to bring it up at all and let everyone enjoy these last few years blissfully unaware of the impending doom to come.

As they say, either come correct or don’t come at all.

Seems to me like you heard a rumor you believe, and, in the event that it’s true, want whatever credit comes from being one of the first to know. Well, if you turn out to be right, congrats on whatever accolades you get from a fan forum that will have ceased to exist. In the meantime, you’re neither managing expectations nor breaking news. You’re just contributing to the disappointment and trepidation that’s been here all year long.
    Last edited by lawless522; 01-20-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    I don’t buy that you bring this up because you care about the long term feelings of forum posters you barely know.

If you believe you’re right and REALLY cared about the long term feelings of posters here, you’d give specifics to make it easier to cut ties.

If you can’t give specifics, then the decent thing to do would have been not to bring it up at all and let everyone enjoy these last few years blissfully unaware of the impending doom to come.

As they say, either come correct or don’t come at all.

Seems to me like you heard a rumor you believe, and, in the event that it’s true, want whatever credit comes from being one of the first to know. Well, if you turn out to be right, congrats on whatever accolades you get from a fan forum that will have ceased to exist. In the meantime, you’re neither managing expectations nor breaking news. You’re just contributing to the disappointment and trepidation that’s been here all year long.
    Don’t forget, I’m also giving folks the chance to make (or lose) some money.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I missed the part where ice cream was on the line. I'd make any bet if it involves an ice cream date at the end.

Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I missed the part where ice cream was on the line. I'd make any bet if it involves an ice cream date at the end.

Name the spot (in New Orleans or Houston preferably).

If the team is sold I’m sure you’ll be around to pay off these bets lol. If correct the information is appreciated, yet these “rumors” is unsourced with very little credibility from the information gave. Seems like supreme confidence in speculation

I have never claimed inside info in the past, nor do I make wagers unless ice cream is on the line (check my receipts on this site). I have nothing to gain by sharing this, and from a point of civic pride it sucks that it?s true.

Anyway, don?t catch long term feelings for this team.
    So, given what you know/believe, what was the reason for the news stories this summer about how the teams were going to be handled upon Gayle's death?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    So, given what you know/believe, what was the reason for the news stories this summer about how the teams were going to be handled upon Gayle's death?
    I tend to believe Gayle when she says that the teams will be here forever. But I wouldn't put too much stock into the stories this past summer and how they are relevant to the team staying put. If anything, stories like that get put out to drive the price up if there is actually a sale on the line. Leverage 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    I tend to believe Gayle when she says that the teams will be here forever. But I wouldn't put too much stock into the stories this past summer and how they are relevant to the team staying put. If anything, stories like that get put out to drive the price up if there is actually a sale on the line. Leverage 101.
    That's a fair point. Like you, I just can't imagine Gayle backing out of the Pelicans. I just get the feeling that both the Saints and Pelicans mean more to her than just a monetary investment in the portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    So I checked this out with a buddy of mine who used to be with Goldman Sachs and has specifically worked on sports team acquisitions. He said he?s heard nothing about a Pels sale but said that buy-side guys?basically billionaires who want to get in the club + the camp advisors who stand to make a small fortune on an acquisition?are always chumming the waters about teams being ?on the block.? It?s the equivalent of short-sellers in the market trying to drive a stock down with a whisper campaign. Of course the team could be sold, but apparently there is a ton of disinformation being spread around. My buddy said he actually thinks expansion is much more likely than a relocation. NBA doesn?t like it. Plus the expansion fees paid to the owners would enormous. Take it for what it?s worth.
    Great info. Much appreciated.

I'm confused about the bold part though. The NBA doesn't like relocation? Or they don't like expansion?

I've heard pros and cons of both. For the longest time, the league stated that they were absolutely against expansion. Whether or not that was a leverage ploy to drive up the price of a new team is anyone's guess but the words out of Adam Silver's mouth were that the owners were against expansion but then you heard that it may be a good idea due to the lost money during the pandemic and that a cash infusion was the best option. Now that fans are back in the stands and prices are jacked up, that may no longer be the case.
    Last edited by Century City; 01-21-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    That's a fair point. Like you, I just can't imagine Gayle backing out of the Pelicans. I just get the feeling that both the Saints and Pelicans mean more to her than just a monetary investment in the portfolio.
    Right. I'm rolling with that until proven otherwise.

Great info. Much appreciated.

I'm confused about the bold part though. The NBA doesn't like relocation? Or they don't like expansion?

I've heard pros and cons of both. For the longest time, the league stated that they were absolutely against expansion. Whether or not that was a leverage ploy to drive up the price of a new team is anyone's guess but the words out of Adam Silver's mouth were that the owners were against expansion but then you heard that it may be a good idea due to the lost money during the pandemic and that a cash infusion was the best option. Now that fans are back in the stands and prices are jacked up, that may no longer be the case.
    He said league doesn't like relocations, or doesn't favor them. Seemed to think expansion was under active consideration...

Name the spot (in New Orleans or Houston preferably).
    We have a great place called Boombox in Lake Charles. Hit me up if you're passing through. Everything is 80s themed. The Choc Lobster is amazing.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We have a great place called Boombox in Lake Charles. Hit me up if you're passing through. Everything is 80s themed. The Choc Lobster is amazing.
    https://www.boomboxpops.com/

Yep. PR.com meet up Feb 23rd at 2pm. Lake Charles one.

Say no more. I’ll be sure to hit you up when I am coming through.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Zion should get his weight under 280 if possible. I everything sounds pretty bad. I start to worry his career might be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gayle going to be a very busy lady this next couple of days.

You mean Loomis.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Funny story but now it looks like they'll lose Payton with no compensation

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Funny story but now it looks like they'll lose Payton with no compensation
    How? Unless he waits till his contract expires or something, he can’t just come back next year and leave. We’d need to trade him. Gimme dem picks. And Micah Parsons or Ceedee Lamb.

I'm sure he likes Jerry Jones and all but I find it hard to believe he'd want to deal with a meddling owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    How? Unless he waits till his contract expires or something, he can’t just come back next year and leave. We’d need to trade him. Gimme dem picks. And Micah Parsons or Ceedee Lamb.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-away-16-years

I'm merely referring to the fact that he's stepping away from the franchise. This ESPN article says that he could be looking at an analyst gig. If he does that for 3 years or even retires altogether, the team gets nothing in return. At least in the AD scenario, they would've been compensated for sure, meaning that had AD not demanded the trade and had Gayle been willing to let Sean leave in 2019, the Saints would've been compensated by the Cowboys.
    Last edited by Century City; 01-26-2022 at 03:45 PM.

I think once a guy is so far out the door that they've got an agreement in place with another franchise--be it Payton or Davis--it's a mistake to keep them in the building. I know stars are hard to replace and there are no guaranties that you even can. But once a key guy checks out mentally, it can corrode your entire organization. It was obvious Davis had checked out by the time he said anything publicly. I didn't see that from Payton you have to wonder if it had an impact on the team's psyche. That stuff never stays secret in a locker room...

Thread Information