Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: December 8th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Denver Nuggets - 7-19

Jokic with 11+ points in ot, Why no double ??? That's on coaching

Was a fun game to go to at least. Seemed like Hart had a lot of really bad turnovers and probably should have been sat. Really surprised to see he almost had a triple double.

That And1 they gave Jokic in OT that should have been a side out was a killer.

Devante has to make his open 3s. That last one that would have put us within 1 with a 2 for 1 was the game.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    The Ingram hate on this board is past the point of tedious. He was more than fine in this game while being guarded tightly by Aaron Gordon and very often double-teamed. Ingram would be the last player on the team I'd want to see traded. I do think maybe we should maybe look into reducing his minutes by 10% or so. 43 minutes tonight and 35 minutes per game on average. Reducing that just a little to 32/33 might make a difference in being gassed at the end. I dunno.
    Last edited by donato; 12-08-2021 at 10:28 PM.

This one is on Willie. BI gets hard doubled and bracketed all game. Jokic gets to roam free at that turtle pace 1-on-1. Why?

And why do our players leap at 3 point shooters so often? That needs to be a drill that you never leave your feet and reach. What are they doing in practice? Pelicans players just do dumb things constantly.

Really feel bad for Kira. Willie finally comes to his senses and leaves him on the floor only for that ugly looking injury. Hope it's not a tear and only a strain.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    The Ingram hate on this board is past the point of tedious. He was more than fine in this game while being guarded tightly by Aaron Gordon and very often double-teamed. Ingram would be the last player on the team I'd want to see traded. I do think maybe we should maybe look into reducing his minutes by 10% or so. 43 minutes tonight and 35 minutes per game on average. Reducing that just a little to 32/33 might make a difference in being gassed at the end. I dunno.
    THIS!!!

The hate is curious as he is only one of two bonified NBA starters on the team (the rookie is going to get there in time, too). Considering that he orchestrates the offense, leads the team in scoring, and assists (imagine what the number would be if he was passing to players who coulld finish), and is double teamed at every turn, he's performing admirably.

Frankly, there's a part of me that hopes his detractors get their way and he is moved expeditiously. He deserves a better fate than this three ring circus.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This one is on Willie. BI gets hard doubled and bracketed all game. Jokic gets to roam free at that turtle pace 1-on-1. Why?

And why do our players leap at 3 point shooters so often? That needs to be a drill that you never leave your feet and reach. What are they doing in practice? Pelicans players just do dumb things constantly.

Really feel bad for Kira. Willie finally comes to his senses and leaves him on the floor only for that ugly looking injury. Hope it's not a tear and only a strain.

I get Willie's thinking. The same method they used to use on Shaq. Let him get his and stop everyone one else. The issue with this thinking is our team has to make those open shots, not turn the ball over and not commit stupid fouls. We did all those...it wasn't any one person's fault, it was a full fail one every player.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Jokic with 11+ points in ot, Why no double ??? That's on coaching
    Catch 22. You double Jokic, and he will find the open man. He's a gifted passer.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Catch 22. You double Jokic, and he will find the open man. He's a gifted passer.
    I really find it hard to believe that just letting Jokic dominate VAL to be the better option than forcing someone to take a long shot. What we saw was pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I really find it hard to believe that just letting Jokic dominate VAL to be the better option than forcing someone to take a long shot. What we saw was pathetic.
    I concur

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Never said it would be.

You don't double Jokic, because we can't survive against a 3pt barrage. Because we are still a crappy 3pt team.

I'll take my chances with someone se , cause Jokic is almost automatic backing his way into the lane

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You don't double Jokic, because we can't survive against a 3pt barrage. Because we are still a crappy 3pt team.
    There is a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't. But with the groove Jokic was in, I might have taken my chances leaving someone else open, but it's a tough call. As an aside, does anyone else notice that Jokic has a tendancy to turn a pretty alarming shade of purple when he's playing?

If MPJ and Jamaal Murray are healthy I understand not doubling Jokic. But what they have on the floor now, those other guys will have to prove it. Especially in crunch time.

We chose not to make them prove it plus let Jokic take 200 years to make his way to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    There is a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don't. But with the groove Jokic was in, I might have taken my chances leaving someone else open, but it's a tough call. As an aside, does anyone else notice that Jokic has a tendancy to turn a pretty alarming shade of purple when he's playing?
    When has letting open 3s ever worked in our favor?

At the end of the day, it was a OT game decided by less 10 points. Someone is going to have to lose. I see no wrong answer on assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Would you rather lose by single coverage on Jokic or doubling him?

I know I'd feel better if you doubled Jokic and made anyone else beat you

I mean they were down Murray and MPJ

Thread Information