Pelicans Report

Thread: Julius Randle

Julius Randle

Everyone has an opinion of Griff's worst personnel move since joining the Pelicans. I believe letting Julius Randle slide through his fingers for nothing was his worst move and nothing else is even close.

A 24 year-old, Julius Randle coming off of his, then, best year in the NBA (21.4/ 8.7/3.4) professed his desire to remain with the Pelicans (how many free agents do that). Instead of re-signing him (he signed with NYK for 3 year $63MM deal...$18.5MM in the first year), we traded two draft picks to Utah for perennial back-up, Derrick Favors (28 YO) and paid him 18.8MM for the one unmemorable year he was here. So Griff let Randle walk for nothing. Remember, the only sizable contract we had at the time was Jrue Holiday's contract, so money was not an issue (after all we paid Favors didn't we?).

Today, we could conceivable have four All Stars on our team in Holiday, Ingram, Williamson (when available), and Randle. I dare say that line-up would trump anything the Pelicans can put on the court now or for the next five years. And even if you think Randle couldn't co-exist with the oft-injurred Williamson, he would be a great asset to shop in the league.

Griff has to go!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    1. Jrue asked for a trade, so that wasn't an option since he was walking in the offseason. 2. Nobody or almost nobody on this board was in favor of paying Randle at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    1. Jrue asked for a trade, so that wasn't an option since he was walking in the offseason. 2. Nobody or almost nobody on this board was in favor of paying Randle at the time.
    Wrong on both accounts.

Lest you forget, in the first season after 'That's all Folks' left, the team was proclaimed to be Jrue Holiday's by Griff himself. Holiday didn't request a trade until the next off-season after the team collapsed in the bubble.

And, there was a contingent of people who said (at the time) that the team should not turn its back on Randle and/or Christian Wood. Instead we re-signed an injured Darrius Miller and landed an over-the-hill J.J. Redick in free agency to go along with a back-up center, Derrick Favors.

It's funny you forgot.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-23-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Don’t forget giving Melli $8 million.

The knock on Randle was that he was a ball dominating front court scorer who didn’t play a lick of defense and couldn’t spread the floor. Basically Zion without the insane hops.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Everyone has an opinion of Griff's worst personnel move since joining the Pelicans. I believe letting Julius Randle slide through his fingers for nothing was his worst move and nothing else is even close.

A 24 year-old, Julius Randle coming off of his, then, best year in the NBA (21.4/ 8.7/3.4) professed his desire to remain with the Pelicans (how many free agents do that). Instead of re-signing him (he signed with NYK for 3 year $63MM deal...$18.5MM in the first year), we traded two draft picks to Utah for perennial back-up, Derrick Favors (28 YO) and paid him 18.8MM for the one unmemorable year he was here. So Griff let Randle walk for nothing. Remember, the only sizable contract we had at the time was Jrue Holiday's contract, so money was not an issue (after all we paid Favors didn't we?).

Today, we could conceivable have four All Stars on our team in Holiday, Ingram, Williamson (when available), and Randle. I dare say that line-up would trump anything the Pelicans can put on the court now or for the next five years. And even if you think Randle couldn't co-exist with the oft-injurred Williamson, he would be a great asset to shop in the league.

Griff has to go!!
    It seems your conspiracy theories also go into the past now. Keep doing what you do!

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    It seems your conspiracy theories also go into the past now. Keep doing what you do!
    Conspiracy theorist's have a hard time of letting go. It's a problem.

Conspiracy Theories?

Throw it up there; it might stick. LOL

Is that all you got? Care to offer some more 'facts' as I annihilated your first 'truths' in this thread?
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-24-2021 at 11:06 AM.

Thread Information