Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: November 20th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Indiana Pacers - 3-14

I still make that Brogdon trade next offseason

Glad we got the W last night. Team looks out of it tonight.

If Jose Alvarado could turn into our T.J. McConnell, I would be delighted.

Ingram since coming back from injury:

Vs Memphis: 19pts, 3rbds, 4asts. 7/17 shooting (41.2%) with 1/4 from 3 (25%). 4TOs
    @ Washington: 31pts, 5rbds, 4asts. 9/23 shooting (39.1%), 2/4 from 3 (50%). 1TO
    @ Miami: 19pts, 4rbds, 5asts. 6/14 shooting (42.9%), 1/6 from 3 (16.7%). 5TOs
    VS LAC: 17pts, 12rbds, 5asts. 6/17 shooting (35.3%), 3/5 from 3 (60.0%). 6TOs
    Tonight: 12pts, 3rbds, 4asts. 4/14 shooting (28.6%), 1/2 from 3 (50.0%). 1TO.

That's 19.6pts, 5.4rbds, 4.4asts with 3.4TOs per game on 37.6%FG (32/85). 8/20 from 3 (40.0%) is pretty good, but even that looks better on paper than it's looked in the games, where he's looked a bit reluctant to launch from distance at times, and he's shot basically all of them C&S, very little self-creation from behind the arc.

Hope he bounces back soon.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ingram since coming back from injury:

Vs Memphis: 19pts, 3rbds, 4asts. 7/17 shooting (41.2%) with 1/4 from 3 (25%). 4TOs
    @ Washington: 31pts, 5rbds, 4asts. 9/23 shooting (39.1%), 2/4 from 3 (50%). 1TO
    @ Miami: 19pts, 4rbds, 5asts. 6/14 shooting (42.9%), 1/6 from 3 (16.7%). 5TOs
    VS LAC: 17pts, 12rbds, 5asts. 6/17 shooting (35.3%), 3/5 from 3 (60.0%). 6TOs
    Tonight: 12pts, 3rbds, 4asts. 4/14 shooting (28.6%), 1/2 from 3 (50.0%). 1TO.

That's 19.6pts, 5.4rbds, 4.4asts with 3.4TOs per game on 37.6%FG (32/85). 8/20 from 3 (40.0%) is pretty good, but even that looks better on paper than it's looked in the games, where he's looked a bit reluctant to launch from distance at times, and he's shot basically all of them C&S, very little self-creation from behind the arc.

Hope he bounces back soon.
    It feels like he starts every season kind of rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It feels like he starts every season kind of rough.
    Well that's the thing, before the injury he was playing pretty well. Defense was a bit weird, as it always is with Ingram, but his offensive numbers were good and he was shooting really well. Got injured, missed a while, came back and now he can't hit broad side of a barn.

Ingram before the injury: 25.0pts, 7.3rbds, 4.8asts on 47%FG and 46% from 3. Was taking just under 6 3PAs a game as opposed to the 4 per game he's taking now: for comparison, he averaged more than 6 3PAs a game for each of the last two seasons, so being down to 4 per game for an extended stretch is weird.

He's lost about 5.5pts and 2rbds a game in terms of just volume, and he's lost 10% from his FG% while completely losing all of his 3pt self creation. There's starting a season slowly, which is fair, and then there's taking a clear step down after an injury.

League average TS% this year is 55.0%, lowest it's been in a few years.

Here's the list of all the players we have who are shooting at least league average TS% (min. 200 minutes played):

- Jonas Valanciunas (60.4%)
    - Josh Hart (59.9%, a career high for him)
    - Jaxson Hayes (56.6%)

That's it, that's all of 'em. Jonas and Hart also have the distinction of being our only two players with a positive BPM.

Among our highest usage players, they're all sub league average. Ingram leads the team in usage (30.7%) but is shooting 52.1%TS, his lowest since his rookie season. NAW is second in usage (24.2%) and is shooting 47.2%TS, down from 52.2% last year. Kira is third on the team in usage (23.9%) and has a 42.3% TS.

That'll do you for a 26th ranked offense alright.

Looks like we might be in for the 500 home record and 0 for the road record. At least since Ingram is back. At least we don't appear to completely suck at home anymore. Maybe we can win a few on the road when Zion comes back.

Ingram looks like he's constantly wading through molasses. Most unathletic guy in the league?

Kira penetrating and getting to the rim is the only thing giving me hope.

NAW is on pace for being the worst finisher of all time on his natural hand.

Completely obsessed with using his left hand at every opportunity which makes no sense. Jrue, but 10 times worse.

Yeah we should have gotten Maxey, but I think Kira can be good

Spolier alert: I'm right handed but have always preferred dribbling and laying up left lol
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Ingram looks like he's constantly wading through molasses. Most unathletic guy in the league?

Kira penetrating and getting to the rim is the only thing giving me hope.

NAW is on pace for being the worst finisher of all time on his natural hand.

Completely obsessed with using his left hand at every opportunity which makes no sense. Jrue, but 10 times worse.

Yeah we should have gotten Maxey, but I think Kira can be good

Spolier alert: I'm right handed but have always preferred dribbling and laying up left lol
    The annoying thing with NAW is that when he actually getting to the rim, he's fine. He's shooting about 64% at the rim this year, which is his career high and fairly close to league average (67%), and that number includes centres and stuff so for guards he's probably about bang average.

He just doesn't do it enough. Only 21% of his shot attempts are coming at the rim - a career low for him, though not by much - compared to 49% of his shots coming from 3.

Compare that to Jrue, who shot about 66% at the rim for the last few years he played for us, but who took more like 32% of his shots at the rim, it's clear where the difference in effectiveness is coming from. NAW getting to the rim is a good thing, he just doesn't do it. He's taking nearly 50% of all of his shots from 3 - Jrue's never taken more than 38% of his attempts from 3.

Now, taking that many of your shots from 3 is something you can do, but only really if you're super good at shooting from 3. Curry, for example, has taken 49.6% of his career shots from 3. Ray Allen post-Seattle took 47% of his shots from 3. Buddy Hield has taken 55.5% of his career shots from 3, and that number has been even crazier the last few years - Buddy has taken 67% of his shots from 3 over the last 3 seasons.

NAW is shooting 28.9% from deep. Him taking any more than 30% of his shots from deep is an unforgivable thing. It's just absurd. Unless he's having a career night where he can't miss, he should get yelled at if he finishes a game with twice as many threes as he's taken twos.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    NAW needs to be averaging like four or five FTs a night. We finally have a decent FT shooting team and we aren’t shooting enough.

That’ll change with Zion, but we need others to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    NAW needs to be averaging like four or five FTs a night. We finally have a decent FT shooting team and we aren’t shooting enough.

That’ll change with Zion, but we need others to join in.
    Whenever I look at this team, there's just so much stuff Zion will clearly help. I hope the team has communicated to him exactly how much of our struggling this season could be immediately solved by adding him.

We're 26th overall in ORtg. Would adding a guy who can put up 27ppg on 65%TS help that? I imagine it might! Not only for the points and the efficiency, but because it allows us to put another scorer on our bench units - which have thus far been terrrrrrrrible - and allows everyone else to get easier shots due to help.

Particularly, we are dead last in the NBA in 2pt%, and 20th in 2pt Makes. Our entire team is averaging 26 made two point attempts per game: Zion averaged a little over 10 made twos per game himself last year and he shot 63% on them. Maybe adding an all-time historic at-rim threat who combines volume and efficiency at a league best rate would help our offense that currently cannot create or complete two point attempts? Maybe? Replacing some of those awkward Josh Hart transition attempts or those weird Devonte drives with Zion would make a big difference. He wouldn't just add good shots, he'd replace bad shots. He alone could take us from 30th in 2pt% to top 20, in one move. And that'd probably move us from 20th in makes to top 12.

If we'd had Zion all season, we'd be like, 8-9 right now, even accounting for Ingram's missing games. We've won 3 games as it is, and 7 of our losses have been by 8 points or less. If we have a top 18 offense instead of a bottom 5 one, I'm certain we win at least 4 of those 7 close games. Then all of a sudden we're 7-10 through a difficult schedule, about to hit a softer patch: we're a playoff team.

Instead, we're missing him and the entire team is eating dirt because of it.

Thread Information