Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: November 17th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Miami Heat - 2-13

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We should not be THIS bad missing one main player. They don't have any excuses left.

Nuke it all

Two of our three 2019 # 1's aren't producing (one barely is).

Our 2020 # 1 is nowhere to be found.

Too early on our 2021 # 1; but thus far he's a 'nothing-burger'.

All-Star
    I believe the main problem is this team is called the Pelicans not very inspiring. Can we get a rebrand? Sonics? sorry bad joke.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    It'll be worth it on draft day. Not that we have a say in it anyway.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Trey should play over this guy or that guy?

BS!! Right now he's playing the amount of time he should be playing.

He's a deer in headlights.
    yeah,,im going with the coach...the 2nd rounder is a over all better player than trey right now..

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    We should not be THIS bad missing one main player. They don't have any excuses left.
    I will repeat this, since it apparently needs repeating: when you take a team that is constructed to function around a top 20 player and then remove the top 20 player, they suck.

This is true whether it's the the 2021-22 Pelicans, or the 2018-19 Warriors who - despite still having Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, and Draymond Green - were a sub .500 team without Stephen Curry.

That said, I do agree we still need more improvements. Right now, you add Zion back in, we're not 2-13. But we're probably only like, 5-8 or 6-7 or something, not the +.500 team that we should really be pushing for right now. The bench, most notably, is where we're short.

Sato and Temple were presumably given their contracts in order to allow them to function better as trade pieces. If this is true, which is what makes sense, then cool, but get to tradin' Griff. Make something happen. Satoransky and Temple should be on the way out. And hell, if you've legit given up on Kira and Jax, they should be out the door too.
    Basketball.

You know you are a bad team when Haslem gets over 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Iget to tradin' Griff.
    Takes two to tango. This where the con job gets obvious. Sell people on deadline trades. Buy more time and nothing ever materializes. Terrible way to mange and construct a team.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-17-2021 at 09:20 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I will repeat this, since it apparently needs repeating: when you take a team that is constructed to function around a top 20 player and then remove the top 20 player, they suck.

This is true whether it's the the 2021-22 Pelicans, or the 2018-19 Warriors who - despite still having Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, and Draymond Green - were a sub .500 team without Stephen Curry.

That said, I do agree we still need more improvements. Right now, you add Zion back in, we're not 2-13. But we're probably only like, 5-8 or 6-7 or something, not the +.500 team that we should really be pushing for right now. The bench, most notably, is where we're short.

Sato and Temple were presumably given their contracts in order to allow them to function better as trade pieces. If this is true, which is what makes sense, then cool, but get to tradin' Griff. Make something happen. Satoransky and Temple should be on the way out. And hell, if you've legit given up on Kira and Jax, they should be out the door too.
    Sub 500 is one thing.

2 wins is a totally different animal. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Sato can't be traded until Dec. 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    You know you are a bad team when Haslem gets over 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This made me laugh.

Take BI out and put in healthy Zion and they might have 4 wins instead of 2. And that's a big maybe...

Kira nd Naji might have lower floors than Sato and Temple, but they definitely have higher ceilings. It's time to stop the vet nonsense. They aren't better and they aren't helping.

Sato, Temple, and Hart are all meant to be trade pieces. Hart is helping this team either way. The other 2 need to be permanently sat.

Start there. I cannot watch either of them anymore.

It’s hard to love this team on the surface. We stink. The organization is a big “meh”. The star players are “meh”. There is absolutely nothing that an outsider should like about this team. But us, we, the chosen few, we love this team because it represents our city, but more than that, we have Willie Green.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Sub 500 is one thing.

2 wins is a totally different animal. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
    Eh, the 2016 Championship Cavs, with Love and Kyrie, were 1-6 without Lebron. Obviously that's not a much better win rate (.142) than we are right now (.125), and they had two active All Stars. Sometimes your number one guy is just that vital.

.....and no way, no how is Graham a front line player. Spoelstra totally exposed him tonight defensively. At least 20 of Butler's 31 were compliments 0f Davonte'.

Eh, the 2016 Championship Cavs, with Love and Kyrie, were 1-6 without Lebron. Obviously that's not a much better win rate (.142) than we are right now (.125), and they had two active All Stars. Sometimes your number one guy is just that vital.
    Zion = Lebron

Yeah, Right!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It’s hard to love this team on the surface. We stink. The organization is a big “meh”. The star players are “meh”. There is absolutely nothing that an outsider should like about this team. But us, we, the chosen few, we love this team because it represents our city, but more than that, we have Willie Green.
    You ever watch the Jon Bois videos on the Seattle Mariners? Parts of that feel like he's describing the Pelicans.

''It's not that the [Pelicans] are special on account of their lack of success. It's just that success is entirely irrelevant. We've entered another realm here, one that's far larger and doesn't operate on the dead currency of winning and losing. Unless you let those limits go, you're an astronaut who brought your wallet. The [Pelicans] are not competitors. They're protagonists.''
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-17-2021 at 10:51 PM.

You ever watch the Jon Bois videos on the Seattle Mariners? Parts of that feel like he's describing the Pelicans.

''It's not that the [Pelicans] are special on account of their lack of success. It's just that success is entirely irrelevant. We've entered another realm here, one that's far larger and doesn't operate on the dead currency of winning and losing. Unless you let those limits go, you're an astronaut who brought your wallet. The [Pelicans] are not competitors. They're protagonists.''
    Man I watched that whole series. This is barely the Ken Griffey era lol.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

And I will repeat this because it apparently needs repeating. If build your entire team around one player to the extent that if that one guy gets hurt you can’t win any games, then you have built a really bad team. This is especially true when you have that star player on a cheap contract.

Zion = Lebron

Yeah, Right!!! LOL
    Exactly. James is considered by many as the 2nd best player ever to play the game. And still that's a tiny sample size. Doesn't take into consideration the quality of teams the Cavs faced during the games LeBron missed. To expect Zion to be on par with LeBron is reaching. To expect 3rd year Zion to be on par with prime LeBron is down right ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Exactly. James is considered by many as the 2nd best player ever to play the game. And still that's a tiny sample size. Doesn't take into consideration the quality of teams the Cavs faced during the games LeBron missed. To expect Zion to be on par with LeBron is reaching. To expect 3rd year Zion to be on par with prime LeBron is down right ridiculous.
    Nobody is saying that Zion is Lebron, at all. The point isn't that Zion is Lebron. The point is that any team, even if it has all-stars on it - which is true of both the 2021-22 Pelicans and the 2015-16 Cavs - will look massively worse when missing their best player.

That doesn't mean that adding Zion to this team turns us into a championship team in the same way that adding Lebron to that Cavs team did. Lebron took a team that was 1-6 in his absence and won them a ring. Zion would not do that for us. But could he take us from being 2-14 and make us, idk, 7-9 instead? Yeah, I think he very probably could.

The assumption that I'm saying Zion's impact to this team is the same as Lebron's to that Cavs team is a result of either purposeful pedantry for the sake of trolling - which is what AISI does best - or a complete misreading of what was said. I don't know which is the case for you, though I'm hoping for the latter.

Anyone who doesn't think that adding Zion to this team would make us a significantly better team with several more wins in the W/L is either not watching the games this year and therefore doesn't know what our problems are, or they didn't watch the games last year and have no idea what Zion actually does when he's on the court.

Nobody is saying that Zion is Lebron, at all. The point isn't that Zion is Lebron. The point is that any team, even if it has all-stars on it - which is true of both the 2021-22 Pelicans and the 2015-16 Cavs - will look massively worse when missing their best player.
    "Best player"? In order to be a team's best player, one has to play.

As of this writing, dae, ZW has played exactly 85 of the 160 games that the team has played since he's been drafted. That represents exactly 53.1% of his team's games (by time he returns - if he returns - it will have played less than 50% of possible games). Save me, and others like me this nonsense about Williamson being the team's best player. Truthfully, one can argue that right now, he's more a detriment to the the team than he is a value...and should.

You know me, dae; I used to refer to JAX as 'Flash or Crash', and he has lived up to the moniker quite well...maybe too well. Candidly, for different reasons, Zion Williamson is of the same cloth. Just like the current American Dollar, Zion Williamson's worth is vastly inflated.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-18-2021 at 12:04 PM.

That doesn't mean that adding Zion to this team turns us into a championship team in the same way that adding Lebron to that Cavs team did. Lebron took a team that was 1-6 in his absence and won them a ring. Zion would not do that for us. But could he take us from being 2-14 and make us, idk, 7-9 instead? Yeah, I think he very probably could.

The assumption that I'm saying Zion's impact to this team is the same as Lebron's to that Cavs team is a result of either purposeful pedantry for the sake of trolling - which is what AISI does best - or a complete misreading of what was said. I don't know which is the case for you, though I'm hoping for the latter.

Anyone who doesn't think that adding Zion to this team would make us a significantly better team with several more wins in the W/L is either not watching the games this year and therefore doesn't know what our problems are, or they didn't watch the games last year and have no idea what Zion actually does when he's on the court.
    If your point is Zion is really good at basketball than we all can agree. If you think at this stage of his career he's the difference between competing for a playoff spot and not I'd strongly disagree. Right now Zion is a very efficient scorer and above par play maker. His defense is sub par. Until he gets his weight in check he's not moving the needle and will never reach his full potential.

My point FYI is that this team is poorly constructed if Zion going into year 3 is it's savior. If Griffin can't put together a team that can compete while Zion is out it's a huge deal. And as someone pointed out Zion is on a rookie deal. If it difficult to put a winner together when Zion counts as 8-12% of the cap what is Griffin going to do when he counts as 30-35% of the cap?
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-18-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Two of our three 2019 # 1's aren't producing (one barely is).

Our 2020 # 1 is nowhere to be found.

Too early on our 2021 # 1; but thus far he's a 'nothing-burger'.
    Agree. All of those picks started out as lottery picks. Actual selections were lower due to Griffin trades. However, we started out with #4 in 2019, #13 in 2020 and #10 in 2021 and have no major contributors from that. Arguable, our biggest contributor is last year's 2nd rounder.

Thread Information