Pelicans Report

Thread: I Miss Mr Benson

I Miss Mr Benson

He would?ve fired the GM by now and cleaned house.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Doubtful

Benson was a huge cheapskate. The only reason the team is named Pelicans is because he already owned the name. He more than likely would not pull the trigger to clean house.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Benson was a huge cheapskate. The only reason the team is named Pelicans is because he already owned the name. He more than likely would not pull the trigger to clean house.
    You clearly do not follow New Orleans sports if you think Benson was a cheapskate.

Nah man Benson liked snake oil car salesmen. Griffin fits right in to that description. On that note if we fire Grif. we probably get Loomis again.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You clearly do not follow New Orleans sports if you think Benson was a cheapskate.
    Or I follow New Orleans sports closer and longer than you.

Benson definitely a cheapskate until he started losing it mentally/Gayle started giving his money away.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Or I follow New Orleans sports closer and longer than you.
    Highly doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Benson definitely a cheapskate until he started losing it mentally/Gayle started giving his money away.
    I really do not think anyone who says this has followed his spending on his team. For decades, the Saints have been one of the higher spending NFL franchises.

The Bensons are cheap? What universe am I in?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The Bensons are cheap? What universe am I in?
    Tom was certainly not cheap, BUT the Pelicans were Gayle’s passion and not his own. Tom’s goal was to win a championship before he passed and he tried to cut corners to do it. I don’t blame him for that considering the situation at the time with his health, but he accelerated the rebuild process far too quickly and it backfired. Gayle on the other hand had too much attachment to the team and Gentry, hence her desire to keep him on board. Both had their flaws- hence the state we are in

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I really do not think anyone who says this has followed his spending on his team. For decades, the Saints have been one of the higher spending NFL franchises.
    Which is why the Saints wound up starting the likes of Steve Walsh and John Fourcade on a playoff caliber team.

You say that about the Saints like Bobby Hebert was a top shelf (or more than Alex Smith level) quarterback. Forcade wasn’t great, and Walsh was traded for because the Saints thought they were trading for the next Troy Aikman. It was a wild situation, but the Saints spending at that time wasn’t the problem (hell Free Agency was still a year away before that Walsh season happened).

The Bensons aren’t cheap, they just spent their years accumulating assets, which over the last two decades they have been able to unload. That’s smart investing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You say that about the Saints like Bobby Hebert was a top shelf (or more than Alex Smith level) quarterback. Forcade wasn’t great, and Walsh was traded for because the Saints thought they were trading for the next Troy Aikman. It was a wild situation, but the Saints spending at that time wasn’t the problem (hell Free Agency was still a year away before that Walsh season happened).

The Bensons aren’t cheap, they just spent their years accumulating assets, which over the last two decades they have been able to unload. That’s smart investing if you ask me.
    Mrs. Benson is unloading assets. Mr. Benson accumulated them.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Mrs. Benson is unloading assets. Mr. Benson accumulated them.
    I mean, that’s what smart investors do.

“Compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world…”

Thread Information