Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: November 10th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 1-10

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    On the not so bright side we know what we have and can make some decisions.
    I don't even think this is true. We don't know what we have because nobody is playing anything even remotely close to the role they should be evaluated in. We know what isolated skills some guys have, and we can assume a bunch, but it's not like we've had a chance to see what guys can do in conjunction with key pieces.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't even think this is true. We don't know what we have because nobody is playing anything even remotely close to the role they should be evaluated in. We know what isolated skills some guys have, and we can assume a bunch, but it's not like we've had a chance to see what guys can do in conjunction with key pieces.
    We know we can't depend on them even if the stars gets doubled like JV. IQ is lower than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    We know we can't depend on them even if the stars gets doubled like JV. IQ is lower than last year.
    Well sure but in an ideal world you don't have to ''depend'' on Garrett Temple for offense, so the fact that he can't compensate for a JV double team shouldn't matter. In an ideal world, it's Zion drawing the help and you have Ingram and JV playing that secondary role, with guys like Graham and Hart and NAW being tertiary pieces - instead, JV is the only primary we have and you have to rely on all your 3rd and 4th tier guys to be 2nd tier guys and their inadequacy sticks out like a sore thumb. They are just flat out not good enough to do that.

But we knew that already, and it means we can't really evaluate what someone like Trey Murphy should look like for us because he's being asked to do stuff that, in a real team context, he would never be asked to do.

Having just hit 15 boards, that means JV has now had 4 games with at least 20pts and 15rbds for the Pelicans.

This ties Tyson Chandler for the 6th most such games in Pelicans history. Here's the number of games played for the franchise for everyone in front of JV:

Anthony Davis - 71 games - 466 games played
    Demarcus Cousins - 16 games - 65 games played
    David West - 13 games - 530 games played
    Jamaal Magloire - 6 games - 187 games played
    Nikola Mirotic - 5 games - 62 games played
    Jonas Valanciunas - 4 games - 12 games played
    Tyson Chandler - 4 games - 197 games played

Our bench is 1/11 from 3 in an 8 pt game lmao

On the plus side, this 4th quarter may be the best NAW we've seen since game 1

Correction: all season
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-10-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Temple, Herb, Kira, Tomas a combined 2/22 from the floor in a combined 92 minutes played in a game we lose by single digits.

What can you say? The support just isn't there.

What I will say is that NAW just needs to watch that 4th quarter on repeat for like, 2 hours. Do more of that, please.

I don't know about Green , I know we're missing Zion and BI but other than JV and DG this team is fundamentally BAD , low BBIQ poor shooters , A passive 1st time HC may not have been the right choice . He's starting to look like a deer in headlights

Basketball Guru
    If NAW played against his cousin every game then he would be a all star lol..

I’m so glad we decided to tank for this draft

Good to see they have some fight, this game and last but where is it in the 2nd and 3rd Qs? Willie is new so we can't go too hard on him but he needs to get on his players. Plus, Jose and Didi need to make their debut. The bench as it is now gives us nothing so why not try something new. 12 games in, it's time.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m so glad we decided to tank for this draft
    Well we did get the most hyped player since LeBron and he is eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew on his couch right about now.

Just got back from the game and sat just a few rows behind the Pels bench. This is what I observed. Hard to say how fat Zion is because he wears very baggy clothes. But I know he’s no kind of leader right now. Before, during and at the end of the game, all he did is laugh and play around. Didn’t seem to give any words of encouragement, didn’t get on anyone’s case and really didn’t seem to care at all. In fact he appeared to have the mentality and temperament of a Jr. High student. His immaturity is off the charts and I don’t see a professional in the least bit. Him and Hernangomez giggled like little school girls throughout the game. A lot of growing up is definitely needed. BI on the other hand didn’t sit anywhere near him and I don’t recall either even speaking to each other. BI didn’t show much vocal leadership either but at least seemed to care what was going on. He never cracked a smile throughout the entire game and seemed genuinely concerned.
    Anyway wanted to give you guys my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Just got back from the game and sat just a few rows behind the Pels bench. This is what I observed. Hard to say how fat Zion is because he wears very baggy clothes.
    Not going to comment on the other stuff because I don't know and can't say, but these pictures are quite telling:

You can see in the first picture, stood up straight, that he looks like he's in perfectly acceptable shape. In the second picture, however, leaned over, the bagginess of his hoodie really falls away from his torso and makes him look a lot larger than he is. In that video that went viral the other week, he was wearing the same type of hoodie and was also leaned over, so there's reason to think that he may have been in better shape there than many thought from the video as well.

From the looks of the first image, he's probably in fine shape. Like I said in the other thread a while ago, he may be a little out of shape given how much non-active time he's had over the last five months, but he's clearly not the 350lb monster that ESPN would like you to believe he is.

If there is an upside to all of this it's still early and right now the teams that are #9 and #10 (for the play in) have 7 losses. So we're still in this but we do need our full team to win games. It's pretty obvious we aren't a team that can win w/o Zion or BI in there. Question is when will one or both be back?

Sometimes it's really weird to read Pels reddit and find that weird Pro-Griff response that's gets positive up votes.

It's like some people enjoy being a farm team. Talk about how we have draft assets, young talent, and financial flexibility with filler contract. When do we start being a good team instead trying to cop pleas and blame Zion. If Zion was $40 million... The situation is legitimately flipped to blame Zion. It's not and you can't blame him entirely.

I feel like this franchise has been bad so long and certain fans must just live in a vaccum and do not know what a good organization looks like...
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Just got back from the game and sat just a few rows behind the Pels bench. This is what I observed. Hard to say how fat Zion is because he wears very baggy clothes. But I know he?s no kind of leader right now. Before, during and at the end of the game, all he did is laugh and play around. Didn?t seem to give any words of encouragement, didn?t get on anyone?s case and really didn?t seem to care at all. In fact he appeared to have the mentality and temperament of a Jr. High student. His immaturity is off the charts and I don?t see a professional in the least bit. Him and Hernangomez giggled like little school girls throughout the game. A lot of growing up is definitely needed. BI on the other hand didn?t sit anywhere near him and I don?t recall either even speaking to each other. BI didn?t show much vocal leadership either but at least seemed to care what was going on. He never cracked a smile throughout the entire game and seemed genuinely concerned.
    Anyway wanted to give you guys my observations.
    Seems accurate to me outside looking in. But then again I'd expect that of a 21 year old who might be more comfortable showing than speaking right now. I think people continuously forget that.

When three of your starters give you 33, 25, and 18, it should not be a struggle to score 100 points. But that's where this team is and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Seems accurate to me outside looking in. But then again I'd expect that of a 21 year old who might be more comfortable showing than speaking right now. I think people continuously forget that.

When three of your starters give you 33, 25, and 18, it should not be a struggle to score 100 points. But that's where this team is and it sucks.
    For real. I pointed this out earlier in the thread: 2/22 shooting across 4 guys who combined to play almost 100 minutes. You only get 240 minutes in a game to allocate: almost 40% of our minutes produced essentially nothing on offense. It's just not feasible to produce successful offense when that kind of thing happens.

"It's not the losing streak. It's not one quarter. It's our approach to this game," Green said. "There were moments in the game where we just didn't have guys who didn't compete hard enough for me. Hard enough for our team. That's a non-negotiable for me. That's the deal. That's who we are. As the leader of this team, I can't have that. I can't have guys on the floor if they aren't going to give 110 percent."
    Willie upset

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-losing-streak

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I really wonder how long nice guy Willie would last here. Game 12.

Wild.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-on-the-brink

Griff has the answers to the test, but he keeps failing us.

How you gonna get yourself into a physical altercation with a 67 year old man...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    How you gonna get yourself into a physical altercation with a 67 year old man...
    Pedro Martinez disagrees. Beating up an old man shifted the balance in the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry forever. Over the previous 85 years, Yankees had won 26 titles, Red Sox none. Then, he tossed that old man to the ground like trash and it’s 4-1 Red Sox ever since. If anything, Griff needs to fight MORE old men

Thread Information