Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: November 10th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Oklahoma City Thunder - 1-10

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Sometimes it's really weird to read Pels reddit and find that weird Pro-Griff response that's gets positive up votes.

It's like some people enjoy being a farm team. Talk about how we have draft assets, young talent, and financial flexibility with filler contract. When do we start being a good team instead trying to cop pleas and blame Zion. If Zion was $40 million... The situation is legitimately flipped to blame Zion. It's not and you can't blame him entirely.

I feel like this franchise has been bad so long and certain fans must just live in a vaccum and do not know what a good organization looks like...
    Or…. Some fans just realize that if you fire that guy, it won’t matter. Someone else will just fail instead. I wasn’t around before but I bet you guys have wanted the last few GMs and coaches fired, thinking that once you get rid of them that all will be well. How did that work out?

I really wonder how long nice guy Willie would last here. Game 12.

Wild.
    Willie isn't the problem. Every coach that has been here has been handed a terrible roster that have all had the same issues:

Poor shooting
    Poor IQ
    Bad defenders
    Turnover machines

Its just terrible. Willie Green and Jarron Collins have been with teams that have excelled in the league, and they are now on the same staff in NOLA. The difference? THE PLAYERS.

I have said for years that "players play"... this is a player-driven league. I'm not saying that coaches are useless, but once the ball is tipped the coaches don't have a PS5 controller in their hands to control the actions of the players once they get on the court. I don't think Monty, or Gentry, or SVG, or Willie are coaching these players to miss wide open shots, or turn the ball over repeatedly, or refuse to close-out on good shooters. The same mistakes have plagued this team regardless of the coach.

It starts and ends with the roster. I guess you can blame Willie Green for accepting the job as the head coach here, but I don't/can't blame him for this team's play. This team is trash thanks to Griff, Demps and whoever else is responsible for putting these rosters together.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Willie can keep his canned "good guy" media BS. Why in the hell haven't we "earned" calls that are obvious. What is the NBA? We have a coach basically admitting that small market teams and non-star playrs should be judged differently when applying the rules? Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Willie can keep his canned "good guy" media BS. Why in the hell haven't we "earned" calls that are obvious. What is the NBA? We have a coach basically admitting that small market teams and non-star playrs should be judged differently when applying the rules? Screw that.
    Miss me?

https://youtu.be/HC_udkoI9_g

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Just got back from the game and sat just a few rows behind the Pels bench. This is what I observed. Hard to say how fat Zion is because he wears very baggy clothes. But I know he?s no kind of leader right now. Before, during and at the end of the game, all he did is laugh and play around. Didn?t seem to give any words of encouragement, didn?t get on anyone?s case and really didn?t seem to care at all. In fact he appeared to have the mentality and temperament of a Jr. High student. His immaturity is off the charts and I don?t see a professional in the least bit. Him and Hernangomez giggled like little school girls throughout the game. A lot of growing up is definitely needed. BI on the other hand didn?t sit anywhere near him and I don?t recall either even speaking to each other. BI didn?t show much vocal leadership either but at least seemed to care what was going on. He never cracked a smile throughout the entire game and seemed genuinely concerned.
    Anyway wanted to give you guys my observations.
    I?ve noticed this every time they show him on the bench. He is not a leader just a big goofy athletic kid
    SIGN A SF

This is getting really ugly …

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nope, because the reasons people are mad at Griff aren't solely based on the record. Poor communication, weird asset management, questionable PR, etc, are all factors in why some people want him gone and those would be true whether we were 1-10 or 7-4.
    Are the people with the ability to fire Griff upset about these things?

Quote Originally Posted by HerbJonesFan View Post
    Or…. Some fans just realize that if you fire that guy, it won’t matter. Someone else will just fail instead. I wasn’t around before but I bet you guys have wanted the last few GMs and coaches fired, thinking that once you get rid of them that all will be well. How did that work out?
    Lol. If you want to get caught up on recent Pelicans/Hornets history from before you joined, you should check out the In the NO podcast. Pretty informative and will give you the historical perspective you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbJonesFan View Post
    The man tried to give out a 3 year max for a Washed up Kyle Lowry. He's dangerous to keep around with our assets in his hand. What stupid desperate ******** he's gonna do next. Hopefully, Benson locked him out of them.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The man tried to give out a 3 year max for a Washed up Kyle Lowry. He's dangerous to keep around with our assets in his hand. What stupid desperate ******** he's gonna do next. Hopefully, Benson locked him out of them.
    That’s what I’m saying. You fire a decision maker asap for crap decisions and they immediately stop being able to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That’s what I’m saying. You fire a decision maker asap for crap decisions and they immediately stop being able to make them.
    Like we don't have to even keep score. The only good moves Griff has made was Graham and Jonas. That's it.

Our depth is so bad... Maybe we would of been better off keeping Adams at 18 million and dumping Hayes. That's a really sad and valid argument.

3 years and we can't build a bench while we are selling and trading picks like candy. Like what is even going on... Zion isn't even a max guy, yet. We still can't build a team when he is cheap. Like what is Griff gonna do when he has real salary cap limitations!? This is really bad when the rebuild was handed to him on a silver platter.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-11-2021 at 09:51 PM.

We've talked a little bit so far about how efficiency in general is down for a lot of big names this season, largely inspired by how poorly NAW has been shooting, so I decided to look up the stats of the NBA's most highly paid players thus far this season and compare them to last year to see how much has changed.

Player 2021 Pay 20-21 Stats p36 21-22 Stats p36 20-21 BPM 21-22 BPM Change in TS%
    Steph Curry $45.8m 33.7/5.8/6.1 on
    48/42/91 splits
    29.3/6.9/7.0 on
    43/39/95 splits
    +8.1 +7.5
    (down 0.6)
    -4.1%
    John Wall $44.3m ---------------- Has not played ----------- ------------ ----------------
    Russell Westbrook $44.2m 22.0/11.4/11.6 on
    44/31/66 splits
    19.2/9.0/8.8 on
    41/28/65 splits
    +3.4 -2.9
    (down 6.3)
    -3.2%
    James Harden $43.8m 24.2/7.8/10.6 on
    47/36/86 splits
    19.3/8.5/9.3 on
    41/39/87 splits
    +4.6 +2.5
    (down 2.1)
    -4.0%
    Damian Lillard $43.7m 28.9/4.2/7.6 on
    45/39/92 splits
    20.7/4.3/8.4 on
    38/25/84 splits
    +5.9 -2.8
    (down 8.7)
    -14.5%
    Lebron James $41.1m 27.0/8.3/8.4 on
    51/37/69 splits
    24.2/5.4/6.8 on
    47/35/78 splits
    +7.5 +2.6
    (down 4.9)
    -3.8%
    Kevin Durant $40.9m 29.3/7.7/6.1 on
    54/45/88 splits
    30.8/8.9/5.2 on
    58/40/82 splits
    +6.9 +8.3
    (up 1.4)
    +0.8%
    Paul George $39.3m 24.9/7.5/5.5 on
    47/41/87 splits
    27.5/8.4/5.6 on
    46/36/86 splits
    +3.7 +5.0
    (up 1.3)
    -3.0%
    Giannis Antetokoumnpo $39.3m 30.7/12.0/6.4 on
    57/30/69 splits
    29.1/12.9/6.6 on
    49/29/69 splits
    +8.8 +9.7
    (up 0.9)
    -5.9%
    Kawhi Leonard $39.3m --------------------- Has not played ------------ ------------ -----------------

The point of the list is comparison so while some guys who haven't played this year did play last year, I didn't bother putting their figures for last year in because there's no change to monitor, which is the whole point.

But yeah, just a clear decline in the per 36 stats for almost everyone, and a huge dip in TS% and BPM. Part of this is undoubtedly the rules changes that have resulted in fewer FTs league-wide and a slower pace in general, but I am still convinced the change to a new ball is probably part of it too. Some guys have held up fairly similarly in terms of their raw production (Giannis, for example) while still seeing big dips in efficiency.

Durant is really the surprise guy out of the list, since he's doing better in just about every major way. Lillard is the post-child for this season's regression, taking the biggest drops in TS%, BPM, and raw scoring production.

It's kinda weird to see such a uniform drop among big names like this.
    Basketball.

Thread Information