Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans have a public relation storm brewing

Pelicans have a public relation storm brewing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...h=76c281147a47

Being teased as a 5 part series on twitter. Part 1 up this morning, first person to like it was the old, just left the team social media PR guy JD Carrere.

The season hasn't even started yet, guys. At least wait until we're a few games in.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basically just an article saying no one is going to the games because the team is awful right now.

Not entirely sure how that is specifically a PR "nightmare." They framed it like some big scandal is coming.

I do agree with the season ticket holder they quoted who said they market Zion to sell season tickets , but then are non transparent about when he will play. I'm already annoyed I didn't wait longer to buy my ticket to the Nets game on Friday. Could have easily got them for 50% lower than what I paid.

That's going to end up being the kiss of death for Griff if things don't turn around. Media and players not trusting you is tough, but paying fans not trusting you is when ownership will lose confidence in your ability to make them money.

Pels have generally always had bad attendance.

How much less on average is it this season so far?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Pels have generally always had bad attendance.

How much less on average is it this season so far?
    http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

We are averaging 15,600 per home game. I am sure that is paid tickets and not actual fans in seats. I have been to all the games and we have not had 15,600 in the seats given the significant number of empty seats in the upper level.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    The season hasn't even started yet, guys. At least wait until we're a few games in.
    Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    Basically just an article saying no one is going to the games because the team is awful right now.

Not entirely sure how that is specifically a PR "nightmare." They framed it like some big scandal is coming.

I do agree with the season ticket holder they quoted who said they market Zion to sell season tickets , but then are non transparent about when he will play. I'm already annoyed I didn't wait longer to buy my ticket to the Nets game on Friday. Could have easily got them for 50% lower than what I paid.

That's going to end up being the kiss of death for Griff if things don't turn around. Media and players not trusting you is tough, but paying fans not trusting you is when ownership will lose confidence in your ability to make them money.
    these problems go back years. offseason promises to fans were broken. nothing to do with the players or record, really.

Just put a competent product on the court and win some games… and they will come.

Considering Griffin screwed the pooch on Zion’s timetable again, I can’t see how he makes it past this year. He is wildly unpopular. I don’t know if it came from ownership to show a lack of transparency but he will be the fall guy.

The Pelicans' constant underachievement and (sometimes) outright incompetence has nearly beaten all of the die-hard fandom out of me. I can't imagine a casual fan keeping up with the franchise in any way. 2017/18 was such a crescendo of emotions. Slow start, Rondo started coming on midway through, AD and Boogie had a month or two run, drinking on the MG float together partying, were on that awesome SLAM magazine with the alligator, then Boogie tearing his Achilles in such an awesome game against Houston... gutting, but then the Blazers sweep, perhaps some hope!! But, ugh, since then, nothing but constant disappointment, smashed optimism, disgruntled players, churning coaches, empty crowds. Sucks to suck, man

Interesting that a new arena gets brought up. It would not be that far away. Across from convention center.

Last thing they need is a new arena let them go to another city if that’s even being discussed.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Last thing they need is a new arena let them go to another city if that’s even being discussed.
    What is that conclusion based on? The Arena is pretty much outdated. I do agree it should not be a priority, but can see why it is being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What is that conclusion based on? The Arena is pretty much outdated. I do agree it should not be a priority, but can see why it is being discussed.
    They do need to whole ****** renovate it and modernize it. I hate watching games there. Love catching them on business trips in super nice arenas.

Smoothie King is a nice arena by late 90s standards.

But the team gotta be making money to justify it.

What is the difference in cost of a new arena vs renovating the blender? Until they start winning, I would be hesitant (as a government official/citizen of the city) with green lighting a new arena (especially when the team could just as easily move within the decade).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I guess my issue with a new arena is what amenities would be put in that they don't already have at the blender and would the revenue generated by those new amenities justify the cost of a new arena?

It does get me excited though. With a new arena you get a brand new lease. That gives the franchise more time to get things rolling. With the flimsy lease that we have now, the team could be in a new city within 3 years.

I do wonder if this is NBA mandated or does ownership see revenue streams at a potential new arena that aren't possible at the current arena even with a new renovation? I only ask because I found it odd that the current arena has less square footage than what they had a Milwaukee's old arena yet Milwaukee needed a completely new arena. I figured that they left NO off the hook due to Katrina sympathy but now that it's been 16 years, they may be turning up the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    What is the difference in cost of a new arena vs renovating the blender? Until they start winning, I would be hesitant (as a government official/citizen of the city) with green lighting a new arena (especially when the team could just as easily move within the decade).
    Sacramento and Milwaukee were able to get their arenas done for less than $600 million. Sacramento opened in 2016 and Milwaukee in 2018 so I'm thinking a similar styled arena in today's dollars in Louisiana could get done in the $600 to $700 range.

A REAL renovation as opposed to the patchwork one that they did earlier would cost around $200 million at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    I guess my issue with a new arena is what amenities would be put in that they don't already have at the blender and would the revenue generated by those new amenities justify the cost of a new arena?

It does get me excited though. With a new arena you get a brand new lease. That gives the franchise more time to get things rolling. With the flimsy lease that we have now, the team could be in a new city within 3 years.

I do wonder if this is NBA mandated or does ownership see revenue streams at a potential new arena that aren't possible at the current arena even with a new renovation? I only ask because I found it odd that the current arena has less square footage than what they had a Milwaukee's old arena yet Milwaukee needed a completely new arena. I figured that they left NO off the hook due to Katrina sympathy but now that it's been 16 years, they may be turning up the heat.
    More (expensive) seats in the lower bowl is going to be the big deal. The team doesn't care if the revenue justifies the expense because they're the ones getting the revenue while (likely) not paying the expense (Gayle doesn't have Ballmer "I'll just build my own arena" money). Either way, the team is not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    More (expensive) seats in the lower bowl is going to be the big deal. The team doesn't care if the revenue justifies the expense because they're the ones getting the revenue while (likely) not paying the expense (Gayle doesn't have Ballmer "I'll just build my own arena" money). Either way, the team is not moving.
    That's the issue. If she doesn't have to put in a penny then a new arena completely makes sense. But if the government entities at play at some point decide that enough is enough and that they don't want to get involved with financing a new arena, things are going to get dicey.

Not saying that they would move necessarily but it would be a good idea if the minority owner who eventually takes over via the succession, is someone who is wealthy enough to foot a good chunk of the bill. A 60-40 split with ownership paying the 60% would probably justify the cost of a new arena and have a situation where the revenue generated would more than offset the 60% that a new owner would be investing in a new arena.

That's the issue. If she doesn't have to put in a penny then a new arena completely makes sense. But if the government entities at play at some point decide that enough is enough and that they don't want to get involved with financing a new arena, things are going to get dicey.

Not saying that they would move necessarily but it would be a good idea if the minority owner who eventually takes over via the succession, is someone who is wealthy enough to foot a good chunk of the bill. A 60-40 split with ownership paying the 60% would probably justify the cost of a new arena and have a situation where the revenue generated would more than offset the 60% that a new owner would be investing in a new arena.
    I don't think there's any intention of bringing on minority ownership? Lauscha and his crew are going to milk this as long as possible and bringing in a minority owner to eventually take over would only hasten the process.

I don't think there's any intention of bringing on minority ownership? Lauscha and his crew are going to milk this as long as possible and bringing in a minority owner to eventually take over would only hasten the process.
    Ok, I guess I misunderstood Gayle's intentions. I was under the impression that the team absolutely positively would not be moved as long as she was alive and that she wanted a succession plan in place that would insure that the team would stay in place long after her passing as well. In order to do that, I was under the assumption that she would have to bring in a trustworthy minority owner with local ties who would take over after she passed away.

OTOH, if she passes away and doesn't have a minority owner in place, what is the succession plan? It would be pretty tough for her to call the shots from the grave. If no trustworthy minority owner is already in place, what's to stop whoever is in charge from selling to the highest bidder? And we all know that the highest bidder would never in a million years be coming from SE Louisiana. It would be Seattle and Vegas most likely.

Ok, I guess I misunderstood Gayle's intentions. I was under the impression that the team absolutely positively would not be moved as long as she was alive and that she wanted a succession plan in place that would insure that the team would stay in place long after her passing as well. In order to do that, I was under the assumption that she would have to bring in a trustworthy minority owner with local ties who would take over after she passed away.

OTOH, if she passes away and doesn't have a minority owner in place, what is the succession plan? It would be pretty tough for her to call the shots from the grave. If no trustworthy minority owner is already in place, what's to stop whoever is in charge from selling to the highest bidder? And we all know that the highest bidder would never in a million years be coming from SE Louisiana. It would be Seattle and Vegas most likely.
    I'm going from memory so may not be exact but the plan is that a trust will assume ownership (along with the rest of the estate including Saints) with Lauscha as trustee in charge of ultimately finding the new owners. A trust is the way to "call the shots from the grave". Plus, Lauscha is New Orleans through and through he does not want the team(s) to move.

I'm going from memory so may not be exact but the plan is that a trust will assume ownership (along with the rest of the estate including Saints) with Lauscha as trustee in charge of ultimately finding the new owners. A trust is the way to "call the shots from the grave". Plus, Lauscha is New Orleans through and through he does not want the team(s) to move.
    I don't know. I guess I'll have to trust Lauscha. I know he cares about the Saints and would never in a million years sell them to out of town interests. I'll assume he cares about the Pelicans enough to keep them in town as well.

I guess a lot comes down to the new arena. If it happens then the puzzle is solved. If not, it's anybody's guess.

Thread Information