Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: November 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Sacramento Kings - 1-7

We love our turnovers

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We love our turnovers
    thats 4 or 5 turnovers in a row now lol..

Man this team just implodes at the start of every 4th qtr

I think JAX will be put in cold storage for awhile.

Ah, the 4th quarter. Classic Pels Achilles heel.

Easy thing to say is this team lacks talent and fire Griff. Talent isn't the problem.

This is a very formative period for this team even if Zion and BI were healthy. This team still runs through youth. They really needed all hands on deck.

They coudl probably win these games missing Zion and BI in March or April. Not going to happen in game 8.

Missing Zion AND BI right now, against a brutal, road heavy opening schedule is just a horrible combination.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-03-2021 at 11:58 PM.

We might win one more game in November...geezus, and I am a glass is half full type of guy.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Griff is going down with the ship at this point.

But I'll tell you right now... Willie Green is gonna change this franchise. He's just getting started.

Pelicans

[QUOTE=luckyman;1568872]Easy thing to say is this team lacks talent and fire Griff. Talent isn't the problem.

This is a very formative period for this team even if Zion and BI were healthy. This team still runs through youth. They really needed all hands on deck.

They coudl probably win these games missing Zion and BI in March or April. Not going to happen in game 8.

At this point I think it?s fair to question the team?s talent level, both from the draft and free agency. Would we be in this deep of a hole if the organization had drafted Hunter when it had the chance and he could start while Zion was hurt? Or even if you still traded back in ?19 if you?d taken Washington or Herro instead of Hayes wouldn?t we be more competitive? Did we really not bring in a competent veteran forward given Zion?s injury history or a legit scoring guard to hedge against NAW struggling?

Right now it feels like every team we play has more quality depth than we do. Tonight?s opponent: Would you trade Halliburton or Mitchell for Alexander Walker or Lewis? What about Holmes for Hayes? The other teams young guys and bench vets just look better, night in and night out. Who have we drafted on this team other than Zion that you would say has proven that he can even be an NBA starter? Who has made a level jump in their game? Hasn?t happened yet. And there is no solid evidence right now that any of them will.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Easy thing to say is this team lacks talent and fire Griff. Talent isn't the problem.

Missing Zion AND BI right now, against a brutal, road heavy opening schedule is just a horrible combination.
    It's easy to say because it's the most obvious assessment of the team. We lack talent as good as Willamson and Ingram are they aren't MVP level guys that can carry a team to the playoffs by themselves at least not the last time we've seen them. While that may very well be where we hope they both are in their primes they are not that now and this team is so talent deficient we would need a prime LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, KD Curry type player just to be in the playoffs picture.

It’s not a talent problem. We struggled mightily to ever make the playoffs with AD as well. When we did, we made a miraculous run to get there the first time around. The second time we had Boogie and still struggled to stay above 500 until we brought in Mirotic. Fast forward to now and it doesn’t matter who we bring in. We have talented players who don’t have a clue how to win games on either side of the ball. Notice how Memphis is still making that Jonas trade work despite losing one of their best players. It is a confidence and culture issue. For whatever reason, New Orleans doesn’t have the same drive and expectations to win games any more like it did with CP3 and even the likes of Baron Davis and co. That partly lies with Griffin having absolutely no plan for this franchise’s future (at least not a consistent one). Those years under Gentry were also an abomination that set us back ages. All this talk about “family” without any regard to discipline and work ethic killed us. We just became too lax as a team.

Seeing you guys saying is not a talent problem is clearly some delusional mental gymnastic.... If this team was dropped in the playoff... We would get blown out by 20 points a game. It's talent. You can't win NBA games without a bench anymore. It's how the game has changed.

It's clearly a by product of the last 3 years of having the replace the same starting Guard and Center. The team was essentially going sideways and not adding talent.

We replaced our starting center 3 times... Drafted 1 non factor center
    We replaced a starting Guard 3 times.. Drafted a solid role player and a bench guy. And it looks like we need to do it a 4th time.

That’s 9 players to fix 2 positions... That doesn't even include JJ.

When you do that instead of building and accumulating talent.. You aren't getting better. You're just getting back to square one.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-04-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Trust the process ?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s not a talent problem. We struggled mightily to ever make the playoffs with AD as well. When we did, we made a miraculous run to get there the first time around. The second time we had Boogie and still struggled to stay above 500 until we brought in Mirotic. Fast forward to now and it doesn’t matter who we bring in. We have talented players who don’t have a clue how to win games on either side of the ball. Notice how Memphis is still making that Jonas trade work despite losing one of their best players. It is a confidence and culture issue. For whatever reason, New Orleans doesn’t have the same drive and expectations to win games any more like it did with CP3 and even the likes of Baron Davis and co. That partly lies with Griffin having absolutely no plan for this franchise’s future (at least not a consistent one). Those years under Gentry were also an abomination that set us back ages. All this talk about “family” without any regard to discipline and work ethic killed us. We just became too lax as a team.
    I feel bad for Jonas. The guy signed an extension with this disaster of a team.

I would be pissed if I were him and I'm out here busting my hump, and look over at the SUPPOSED LEADERS of this team... "Hip Pointer" Ingram and "Fat" Zion giggling and laughing it up (in street clothes) courtside.

This team is weak, and we have no closer. Nobody with a killer instinct, and nobody willing to play if they have a little boo boo.

Can you imagine Michael Jordan having a chuckle while his team was getting destroyed, and he was sitting on the bench nursing a bruised hip or a hurt toe?? I don't even have words...

We will never win a damn thing with these players

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I feel bad for Jonas. The guy signed an extension with this disaster of a team.

I would be pissed if I were him and I'm out here busting my hump, and look over at the SUPPOSED LEADERS of this team... "Hip Pointer" Ingram and "Fat" Zion giggling and laughing it up (in street clothes) courtside.

This team is weak, and we have no closer. Nobody with a killer instinct, and nobody willing to play if they have a little boo boo.

Can you imagine Michael Jordan having a chuckle while his team was getting destroyed, and he was sitting on the bench nursing a bruised hip or a hurt toe?? I don't even have words...

We will never win a damn thing with these players
    No but I can literally imagine him retiring multiple times to take breaks, including one time where he quit to go play baseball.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    No but I can literally imagine him retiring multiple times to take breaks, including one time where he quit to go play baseball.
    You mean when he lost the desire to play basketball for a while because his dad was MURDERED? Yeah, I'll accept that as valid excuse.

You mean when he lost the desire to play basketball for a while because his dad was MURDERED? Yeah, I'll accept that as valid excuse.
    Jordan wrote in his autobiography that he was already planning retirement as early as 1992, well before his father was murdered, and he didn't sign on to play baseball until February of the following year, several months into his first post-NBA retirement year. I'm not going to deny that his decision to play baseball in that time may have been influenced by his father's death, a lot has been said about that relationship, but acting like his decision to retire was entirely due to that is just flat out incorrect according to Jordan himself in his own autobiography.

Yeah, someone has to step up esp in the 4th but who, not having a lead guard and/or a closer on this team really hurts us b/c we need that to close out games esp in the 4th (which is still a problem carrying over from last year) and having that lead guy pushes other guys to be better.

But as far as toughness when I look at the team, JV, Devonte Graham, Herb Jones and even to a certain extent Trey Murphy have that toughness but they're new and still trying to find their way on the team. NAW wants to be that guy but for whatever reason hasn't progressed into it (yet). Zion clearly as toughness on the court when he plays but he isn't mentally tough and his leadership skills right now are lacking b/c well look at him. Lol. BI, who's great offensively at times, still hasn't found a way to push his team over the top when needed and he's such a mild mannered guy (which is great personally but not so great on a basketball court when you need toughness and fire every game).

This is why Griff was trying to get Lowry/CP3 but unforunately they didn't want to come. I do agree we have not had that guy since CP3, Baron Davis and Boogie/Rondo. That's why I said earlier we may need to trade for that guy or draft that guy b/c this year is showing me we don't have our #1 yet.
    Last edited by PELSGIRL; 11-04-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Jordan wrote in his autobiography that he was already planning retirement as early as 1992, well before his father was murdered, and he didn't sign on to play baseball until February of the following year, several months into his first post-NBA retirement year. I'm not going to deny that his decision to play baseball in that time may have been influenced by his father's death, a lot has been said about that relationship, but acting like his decision to retire was entirely due to that is just flat out incorrect according to Jordan himself in his own autobiography.
    That's fine. If Zion has wins 3 Championships in a row and then wants to go play Ice Hockey, I'll drive him to the rink myself.

But first he needs to put the Doritos and Mountain Dew down and play ONE full season first without being injured.

Who is our "Grown Person" in this franchise?

That's fine. If Zion has wins 3 Championships in a row and then wants to go play Ice Hockey, I'll drive him to the rink myself.

But first he needs to put the Doritos and Mountain Dew down and play ONE full season first without being injured.
    Personally, and I just think this might be me being a wild crazy person here, but I think you're allowed to have health issues without having to ''earn'' them first.

Cause that's what's got Zion out right now, not just a Kyrie-esque decision to not bother. Could Zion's injury have been avoided? Maybe, I'm no doctor and even if I was, I haven't seen his personal issue, not has the cause been released - for all we know, someone dropped a TV on his foot during redecorating and that's where the injury came from*.

I understand the frustration as a fan of the team but Jesus Christ, players are people before they're anything else. At the end of the day we all want Zion healthy and active, performing at his best. I'm sure if you asked him, that's what he would say he wants too. Maybe he has some conflicts between what he says he wants and how he acts, but people do that - people are not perfect, and they're not wholly consistent. The onus shouldn't be on the 21 year old surrounded by Yes Men to suddenly figure out his whole life, the people surrounding him should be helping him and it's sad that they're not.

*Note, I am not actually saying that's what happened, and I agree it's most likely that the injury was caused by a combination of his workouts and weight, but we don't actually know that, we're just assuming.

The onus shouldn't be on the 21 year old surrounded by Yes Men to suddenly figure out his whole life, the people surrounding him should be helping him and it's sad that they're not.
    APOLOGISTS UNITE!!!

So the "onus" should be on the people surrounding him, because it's to much to ask him to do for himself?

You have to be a member of the British Labour Party!! Those who shirk responsibility for their actions usually are.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    APOLOGISTS UNITE!!!

So the "onus" should be on the people surrounding him, because it's to much to ask him to do for himself?

You have to be a member of the British Labour Party!! Those who shirk responsibility for their actions usually are.
    Preach! The excuses given for this kid are comical and no way they give him the benefit of the doubt if he was on another team. If we had some good young player and Zion was doing the EXACT same stuff on some other team, and someone on here said "Zion seems unhappy in (insert team), do you guys think we should offer (insert young, very good, fan favorite player) for him?" --- that person would get FLAMED here. "No way would I trade for him! He is always hurt and lazy and coddled by his dumb parents"

But, since he is on their favorite team, they will give him every benefit of the doubt. Glad to see not everyone is a sheep though!

Thread Information