Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Healthy, what would Zion fetch?

When Healthy, what would Zion fetch?

Obviously you can?t make the move now (due to his injury), but Zion given he still has some hype, he is young, and he is on a team friendly contract, what could the Pels net for Zion once healthy?

It would have to start with a BI level AS player and another high end starter, but what could you net when his value is at its highest this season?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Somebody posted Grant, Cade Cunningham, and a 1st for Zion as an offer that I liked a while back.

What about Jaylen Brown plus other pieces from the Celtics? With the feeling that Zion is already disgruntled with Nola I'd hate to waste the next few years and go through the same cycle we have been through with CP3 and AD.
    I know it's unrealistic to expect to get equal talent in any trade for Zion but that talent is really irrelevant if its never on the court and doesnt want to be here. We have a solid foundation with BI, graham and Val... And Herb

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCatch View Post
    What about Jaylen Brown plus other pieces from the Celtics? With the feeling that Zion is already disgruntled with Nola I'd hate to waste the next few years and go through the same cycle we have been through with CP3 and AD.
    I know it's unrealistic to expect to get equal talent in any trade for Zion but that talent is really irrelevant if its never on the court and doesnt want to be here. We have a solid foundation with BI, graham and Val... And Herb
    The problem Zion is still on a rookie contract . You won?t get much for $10 million/2years. He needs to re-up here before we can move him.

Also his trade value is a bag of chips(If that) right now till he starts playing again.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    The problem Zion is still on a rookie contract . You won?t get much for $10 million/2years. He needs to re-up here before we can move him.

Also his trade value is a bag of chips(If that) right now till he starts playing again.
    The rookie contract is not a negative.

Think of all the assets we had including young players and draft picks and how Griffin has pissed many of those away.

We acquired (age at the time of the respective deal):

Zion (lucked into #1 pick) (18 years old)
    Ingram (21 years old)
    Ball (21 years old)
    Hart (24 years old)
    2019 #4 pick (Lakers)
    2020 1st round pick (Bucks) (#24)-(traded to Nuggets for 2023 lottery protected pick)
    2022 unprotected 1st (Lakers)
    2023 pick swap with Lakers
    2024 or 2025 unprotected 1st (Lakers)
    2024 pick swap with Bucks
    2025 unprotected 1st (Bucks)
    2026 pick swap with Bucks
    2027 unprotected 1st (Bucks)
    Multiple 2nds

Wow, how bright the future looked at the time. Sad what it is now.

Ball is gone and we got nothing in return. Hart has one foot out the door. We wasted 2 1sts on Adams/Bledsoe and traded a future 1st for Graham (who is better suited as a bench player than starter). The 2019 #4 pick became NAW and Hayes who are role players at best it appears. Zion is always injured. Ugh, being a Pelicans fan is difficult.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Think of all the assets we had including young players and draft picks and how Griffin has pissed many of those away.

We acquired (age at the time of the respective deal):

Zion (lucked into #1 pick) (18 years old)
    Ingram (21 years old)
    Ball (21 years old)
    Hart (24 years old)
    2019 #4 pick (Lakers)
    2020 1st round pick (Bucks) (#24)-(traded to Nuggets for 2023 lottery protected pick)
    2022 unprotected 1st (Lakers)
    2023 pick swap with Lakers
    2024 or 2025 unprotected 1st (Lakers)
    2024 pick swap with Bucks
    2025 unprotected 1st (Bucks)
    2026 pick swap with Bucks
    2027 unprotected 1st (Bucks)
    Multiple 2nds

Wow, how bright the future looked at the time. Sad what it is now.

Ball is gone and we got nothing in return. Hart has one foot out the door. We wasted 2 1sts on Adams/Bledsoe and traded a future 1st for Graham (who is better suited as a bench player than starter). The 2019 #4 pick became NAW and Hayes who are role players at best it appears. Zion is always injured. Ugh, being a Pelicans fan is difficult.
    hell,,i got to take it there...just picture if we had the guts to draft JA...now add in what you think memphis would have gave up for zion in picks and players....also we could have ship ball somewhere else also or gave him to memphis....the future would have look insane in a good way at that time....

a lead guard and for us to get a better team from top to bottom was my main reasons to drafting JA...

SGA, Giddy, and a 1st for Zion and filler, and I would be stoked. I'm sure he will go elsewhere and be great, but (only as to my fanship, no animosity or personal judgment) I'm over all this dumb ********.

Zion has to start playing before anyone is even interested, and the league knows he may be a fatter and lazier Greg Oden 2.0.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 11-03-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Zion has to start playing before anyone is even interested, and the league knows he may be a fatter and lazier Greg Oden 2.0.
    People keep wanting to state this. Did you hear SVG's comments on the broadcast last night that Zion's body fat was under 10 last year?

Griff has warts but this revisionist history and hindsight of saying we should have drafted Morant is ludicrous. If Griff would have taken anyone but Zion he would probably have been fired immediately. Zion was far and away the consensus #1 pick and honestly would be in most drafts. Give Zion some more time to see if he can get his health in check. He still has the potential to be historically great. Morant is awesome but I dont think his ceiling is anywhere near Zion's.

One last thing. How good do the Lakers look when LeBron is out? AD can't carry a team by himself. The LeBron has been out they have been mediocre at best. When AD and LeBron were both out they were straight garbage. There are not many teams that could survive losing their 2 best players.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Griff has warts but this revisionist history and hindsight of saying we should have drafted Morant is ludicrous. If Griff would have taken anyone but Zion he would probably have been fired immediately. Zion was far and away the consensus #1 pick and honestly would be in most drafts. Give Zion some more time to see if he can get his health in check. He still has the potential to be historically great. Morant is awesome but I dont think his ceiling is anywhere near Zion's.

One last thing. How good do the Lakers look when LeBron is out? AD can't carry a team by himself. The LeBron has been out they have been mediocre at best. When AD and LeBron were both out they were straight garbage. There are not many teams that could survive losing their 2 best players.
    this is year 3 for zion..right now when it comes to ja and zion,,,its ability versus availability....alot of people had concerns about zion being healthy and those people are right as of today.....

call it ludicrous ..insane ,,ridiculous ect..but zion has alot of fans upset that he is not available....he will sign his second contract and force his way out in year two of that contract then some fans will really go crazy.....

we have a nice decent young team now without zion...trade this dude this season and make the over all team better.......i didnt want zion,,i wanted JA....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    hell,,i got to take it there...just picture if we had the guts to draft JA...now add in what you think memphis would have gave up for zion in picks and players....also we could have ship ball somewhere else also or gave him to memphis....the future would have look insane in a good way at that time....

a lead guard and for us to get a better team from top to bottom was my main reasons to drafting JA...
    No because if we drafted Ja he would continually be injured. That’s what comes with the Pelican injury curse.

People keep wanting to state this. Did you hear SVG's comments on the broadcast last night that Zion's body fat was under 10 last year?
    And did you hear Barkley tell Shaq that if they had a baby, it would look like Zion. Chuck couldn’t resist a fat joke and shows nationally people are talking about Zion’s refusal to stay in shape and be a professional.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post

It's not hindsight if you said it before the draft. Just because the majority of the national media drooled over Zion's marketability, it doesn't mean NBA execs, who are paid very well to make franchise altering decisions, should have made him the consensus #1 pick. Some of us anticipated that a 270 lb man leaping around the way he does was a recipe for an injury riddled career. The fact that he's suffering these injuries at such a young age, when our bodies can withstand so much more and heal quickly, is more than concerning. Some of us put our necks on the line (and were killed for it at the time) to suggest that we should trade back, get a king's ransom for the pick and take Ja, a guy that had future league MVP written all over him (and who hasn't disappointed).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Give me a break. It's way too early to say either way who was the right pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    And did you hear Barkley tell Shaq that if they had a baby, it would look like Zion. Chuck couldn’t resist a fat joke and shows nationally people are talking about Zion’s refusal to stay in shape and be a professional.
    Yeah, a commentator cracking a joke for entertainment purposes and to sound funny is not fact. A former coach privy to FACTS is more relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    It's not hindsight if you said it before the draft. Just because the majority of the national media drooled over Zion's marketability, it doesn't mean NBA execs, who are paid very well to make franchise altering decisions, should have made him the consensus #1 pick. Some of us anticipated that a 270 lb man leaping around the way he does was a recipe for an injury riddled career. The fact that he's suffering these injuries at such a young age, when our bodies can withstand so much more and heal quickly, is more than concerning. Some of us put our necks on the line (and were killed for it at the time) to suggest that we should trade back, get a king's ransom for the pick and take Ja, a guy that had future league MVP written all over him (and who hasn't disappointed).
    So, tell me how many NBA execs would have passed on Zion for Ja? Do you really think the majority would have?

So, tell me how many NBA execs would have passed on Zion for Ja? Do you really think the majority would have?
    People are applying their hindsight goggles but the reason Zion was the consensus #1 pick was not because ''the national media drooled over Zion's marketability'' as socbe7 says, but because he posted a historically dominant college season on a very successful team, following years of being the best HS player in the United States.

Zion was drafted number one because he is the best player in the draft and it was not close. In terms of what they actually produce when they're on the court, it still isn't close, because as good as Ja is, Zion is already a top 20 player - bordering on top 15 - when healthy and Ja is just very much not that.

I understand that there's debate because, as people said at the time, there's a risk of injury with a guy that explosive, moving with that much force, at that weight. That's a risk that almost everyone deemed to be worth it at the time because if you have a chance at a franchise altering talent you take that chance. There's always risk involved in any such judgement, but anyone who pretends like Zion was the #1 pick because of hype rather than because he was just clearly, visibly, measurably, the single best player not only in his draft, but in most drafts for the last decade, is lying to themselves and to you.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    People are applying their hindsight goggles but the reason Zion was the consensus #1 pick was not because ''the national media drooled over Zion's marketability'' as socbe7 says, but because he posted a historically dominant college season on a very successful team, following years of being the best HS player in the United States.

Zion was drafted number one because he is the best player in the draft and it was not close. In terms of what they actually produce when they're on the court, it still isn't close, because as good as Ja is, Zion is already a top 20 player - bordering on top 15 - when healthy and Ja is just very much not that.

I understand that there's debate because, as people said at the time, there's a risk of injury with a guy that explosive, moving with that much force, at that weight. That's a risk that almost everyone deemed to be worth it at the time because if you have a chance at a franchise altering talent you take that chance. There's always risk involved in any such judgement, but anyone who pretends like Zion was the #1 pick because of hype rather than because he was just clearly, visibly, measurably, the single best player not only in his draft, but in most drafts for the last decade, is lying to themselves and to you.

what you said about why zion was pick number one is true..and every GM probably would have pick him number one....my issue is that a talent like zion does not work in new orleans for the long run...we have seen this before with cp3 and AD...those players have gone on to be great on other teams and win with the help of players wanting to go to where they are......imo its hard to build a title team around a talent like zion because they want to win now plus good players dont want to come to new orleans and that will make building a team even harder around him....at some point you have to learn from history and your past and be realistic and think outside of the box and make unpopular decisions to better the over all team.. .....majority of the posters here always talking about we need to build slow,,through the draft,,get picks but you cant do that with a player like zion here in new orleans because they want to win now or will flex on the team to do so and yes i get zion was the best in the draft but again pelican history has to be taken into account being in new orleans....and i didnt expect zion to be unavailable for the pelicans like he is in these 3 years so i guess that is playing a part for me now.....

i think we all know zion will be on another team come his second contract...the kid have dreams of playing in new york and i dont fault him for making that happen when he get a chance to....we all saw the look on his face when he saw we had the number one pick but some people say that was not the case lol....to me, we have a decent, hard playing fun team without zion..so i think we should get rid of him to add better talent over all to the team so we can be deep and better....let zion go be great or unavailable for some other team now over dealing with him leaving later...

I can appreciate Shaq and Chuck making a fat joke because yes, while they are both fat now, they kept their weight in check when they were playing, and they didn’t let it derail the start of their careers like Zion has. Zion has a lot of growing up to do, and he is going to have a lot of problems (which I hope that this team doesn’t shoulder) if he doesn’t get his body in check.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I can appreciate Shaq and Chuck making a fat joke because yes, while they are both fat now, they kept their weight in check when they were playing, and they didn’t let it derail the start of their careers like Zion has. Zion has a lot of growing up to do, and he is going to have a lot of problems (which I hope that this team doesn’t shoulder) if he doesn’t get his body in check.
    You're being sarcastic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You're being sarcastic, right?
    Did it hinder their play? Charles was Sir Charles before he was the Round Mound of Rebound, and he made it work even with the added pounds. Shaq was dominant from the jump because he avoided injuries caused by weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Did it hinder their play? Charles was Sir Charles before he was the Round Mound of Rebound, and he made it work even with the added pounds. Shaq was dominant from the jump because he avoided injuries caused by weight gain.
    Charles entered the league overweight and has told the story himself multiple times that the only reason he got down under 300lbs is that Moses Malone forced him to. He was being called the Round Mound of Rebound and the Crisco Kid in college. The only reason he didn't deal with weight related injuries like Zion seems to is luck - nothing to do with keeping his weight in check.

Shaq actually entered the league in good shape, that's true. So you're right on Shaq but most because you specified early in his career - Shaq ballooned after he left Orlando and was regularly sidelined for lower body injuries for the entire career post 2002, and only played more than 60 games once in the last 7 years of his career.

I agree that Zion needs to take of himself better, but acting like two of the NBA's most notoriously overweight greats weren't overweight for huge portions of their careers just to bag on the kid seems unnecessarily harsh and honestly just a bit mean spirited. They're both being massive hypocrites and you're happy to let them get away with it and repeat their hypocrisy because you're bitter about Zion being injured, which is just unfair.

Don’t move the goalposts, I said that they could make those jokes about being fat because they didn’t let their weight derail their careers. Zion’s career has in fact been derailed by his weight. Dude has been a major disappointment up until now because he can’t get on the court.

Thread Information