Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Zion looking very out of shape

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i told you this on the 6th page in the kings game thread.....the way he replied to luckyman made me 100% sure...
    i know bro, i shoulda given you props, it's uncanny at this point

This is absurd. More scans in 3 weeks to see *if* he can practice? That'll be 15 weeks for an injury with an average recovery time of 10 weeks. And that's *if* he's cleared to practice.

Either there have been complications in his recovery/rehab, or he didn't have the surgery before Summer League as we were told. Either way, the fact that we don't know is a communication failure from the team.
    Basketball.

Assuming he's fully cleared in 3 weeks, then has a week of practice before getting back into games, I assume we're talking about Zion returning sometime around the beginning of December. That'll probably be on a minutes restriction.

Basketball Guru
    the start of 2022 for the full zion game mins...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

This is absurd. More scans in 3 weeks to see *if* he can practice? That'll be 15 weeks for an injury with an average recovery time of 10 weeks. And that's *if* he's cleared to practice.

Either there have been complications in his recovery/rehab, or he didn't have the surgery before Summer League as we were told. Either way, the fact that we don't know is a communication failure from the team.
    Zion's not serious about his career, and Griff is a straight up liar. All there is to it. Hopefully one of those things changes

I agree here.

Whatever his Duke weight was around halfway through his college season (he started off a little bigger at the beginning of the year and slimmed a bit as the season went on) is what I envision when I picture Zion at his best condition.

Now obviously the training staff know more than we do and have better insight, so I trust them to have the right things in mind, but it's also up to Zion to listen to them. I can't remember entirely, so I might be wrong, but I feel like there was a thing where the team wanted to assign him a chef and stuff like that but his family said that they didn't need that and that they'd hire their own? Am I totally misremembering that?

If that is true and not just something I imagined, that's the kind of thing that should stop imo. Get a personal trainer for offseasons, get a chef who works with the team to come up with the right balances, truly lock in. I know it's hard going against family, but sometimes you do have to just assert yourself against that.
    it is true. His family is weird, i kinda pushed against that notion for a while, tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but at this point it's just undeniable. It's honestly not normal. His mom is his nutritionist and his dad is his personal trainer. That's not normal. I don't even understand why his parents would decline to let the team hire professionals to fill those roles for Zion. That's the first time i've ever heard of that frankly for a professional athlete. People in the city who've seen Zion here and there tell stories of how much his stepfather presides over his life. And Zion doesn't seem to care too much. I don't know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    it is true. His family is weird, i kinda pushed against that notion for a while, tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but at this point it's just undeniable. It's honestly not normal. His mom is his nutritionist and his dad is his personal trainer. That's not normal. I don't even understand why his parents would decline to let the team hire professionals to fill those roles for Zion. That's the first time i've ever heard of that frankly for a professional athlete. People in the city who've seen Zion here and there tell stories of how much his stepfather presides over his life. And Zion doesn't seem to care too much. I don't know what to make of it.
    Over babying him and having trust issues that either A) someone will steer their good ol boy wrong, or B) they won't get any credit or input if professionals take over for Zion.

Either way both situations is toxic and I been saying this for years now. Glad folks are finally starting to talk about it.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqp7iWrLBg

He will not be staying healthy long term if he doesn't cut down on the weight

Him and the front office need to figure this out
    So, you can tell that from someone in loose sweats leaning over? I can tell you, I saw him in a suit from 6 rows away on opening night and unless he was wearing a girdle, he is not fat.

Seems Griffin is letting Willie be the scapegoat for his lies. The sooner that POS Griffin is fired, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Seems Griffin is letting Willie be the scapegoat for his lies. The sooner that POS Griffin is fired, the better.
    It's so frustrating because even when he comes back, say he comes back December 1st (just for the sake of easy with the date) - that's 24 games into the season. We're already 1-6, 7 games in. So that would mean 17 more games before Zion comes back.

In the next 17 games we play SAC, DAL, OKC, WAS x2, MEM, LAC x2, IND, MIN. That's 10 games that, were we full health, I would wholeheartedly expect us to win (losing them all, or even just most of them, would be a sure sign of team failure). Without Zion - and potentially BI for some of them too, given his injury recently - we could easily lose any of them. So let's say we go, to be conservative, .33 as a team over those 17 games. That's 6 wins, more or less. 7-17 over the first 24 games. Then Zion comes back. That's already the season lost, by December 1st: we'd have to play like a 50+ win team for the rest of the year just to scrape .500, which is not realistic.

If we had known that coming into the year and Griff had communicated this, we might be upset but we would have adjusted expectations. Come in understanding it's yet another rebuild year - even accepting all of the risks that carries (4th year of Zion's tenure with the team is a bit late to start winning).

Instead we get the lies, the claim from Zion that he might be back on court for the first game, the claim that he had surgery before Summer League, etc etc. And now we're not grimly accepting, we're upset. Whose fault is that? Griff has got to be in the firing line for this, hard.

If we are 6-18 or 6-24... Griff better shut this show down. We need talent.

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather be upset-but-informed, so that I could manage expectations and know what to look for, than lied to and mislead.

I don't have any qualms watching bad teams, developing young players, and tanking for draft picks, if I know that's what we're doing. I'm fine with that, I can find joy in that.

But don't tell me that we're gunning for the playoffs, Zion's going to be back soon, we're ready to win, etc, all the while knowing that's not the case.

Can't wait for a disinterested Zion to make his debut for the 10-32 Pels in January.

Griff doesn't talk to the media like someone confident in their plans, trying to communicate.

He talks like someone who is worried and unsure, who will just say whatever they need to say in that moment to get through it.

That sucks, and it doesn't make me inclined to give him benefit of the doubt elsewhere. @GriffinPresser on Twitter exists for a reason.

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather be upset-but-informed, so that I could manage expectations and know what to look for, than lied to and mislead.

I don't have any qualms watching bad teams, developing young players, and tanking for draft picks, if I know that's what we're doing. I'm fine with that, I can find joy in that.

But don't tell me that we're gunning for the playoffs, Zion's going to be back soon, we're ready to win, etc, all the while knowing that's not the case.
    No need to be lied to when you lie to yourself constantly!

Basketball Guru

he selling wolf tickets to sell game tickets and not be held accountable for the bad outcome....

It's so frustrating because even when he comes back, say he comes back December 1st (just for the sake of easy with the date) - that's 24 games into the season. We're already 1-6, 7 games in. So that would mean 17 more games before Zion comes back.

In the next 17 games we play SAC, DAL, OKC, WAS x2, MEM, LAC x2, IND, MIN. That's 10 games that, were we full health, I would wholeheartedly expect us to win (losing them all, or even just most of them, would be a sure sign of team failure). Without Zion - and potentially BI for some of them too, given his injury recently - we could easily lose any of them. So let's say we go, to be conservative, .33 as a team over those 17 games. That's 6 wins, more or less. 7-17 over the first 24 games. Then Zion comes back. That's already the season lost, by December 1st: we'd have to play like a 50+ win team for the rest of the year just to scrape .500, which is not realistic.

If we had known that coming into the year and Griff had communicated this, we might be upset but we would have adjusted expectations. Come in understanding it's yet another rebuild year - even accepting all of the risks that carries (4th year of Zion's tenure with the team is a bit late to start winning).

Instead we get the lies, the claim from Zion that he might be back on court for the first game, the claim that he had surgery before Summer League, etc etc. And now we're not grimly accepting, we're upset. Whose fault is that? Griff has got to be in the firing line for this, hard.
    There's no reason to lie about when he had the surgery, so most likely guess is that he's not healing as fast as expected.

Griff doesn't talk to the media like someone confident in their plans, trying to communicate.

He talks like someone who is worried and unsure, who will just say whatever they need to say in that moment to get through it.

That sucks, and it doesn't make me inclined to give him benefit of the doubt elsewhere. @GriffinPresser on Twitter exists for a reason.
    The dude straight up lied to us about Zion to sell tickets and try to misdirected, gaslight, and use false pretenses.

You don't see NOLA media trying to expose Saints organization. It's a clown show and no other way to go about it.

Which is sad, because Griff did some really fantastic moves this off season like Jonas, Graham, and Green. It took him 3 years too late, but if he kept his mouth shut. He probably give him self another year.

It's just so weird how he goes out of his way to address the media and makes things so much worse.

We got a GM holding on to $27 million in filler salary and say we going to fight for a playoff spot. What playoff team allocates $27 million for a deadline trade. It makes no sense.

The worst part about it is that we don't even need Zion to win games or be 0.500. We just needed there to be $27 million worth of good talent on the team that can provide good minutes.

The team fills razor thin, but it gets worse when you look at this bloated salary list.

All this for se mythical trade that may never happen. Griffin can take his electric piano, his Alchemist book, and go be used car dealer salesman.
    Last edited by Taker597; 11-01-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    There's no reason to lie about when he had the surgery, so most likely guess is that he's not healing as fast as expected.
    I can tell you right now... Zion probably didn't have a Jones fracture. He probably had navicular, cubiod, or heel fracture. It's why it's taken 4 - 6 months to heal.

I work in ortho... Nothing about this time line makes sense for a Jones fracture.

Yep, with each passing day of this 'soap opera', it appears the right pick was Ja Morant all along. While Memphis now has a budding Basketball Superstar, New Orleans has a 'Generational Talent' who has become a Joey Chestnut wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I can tell you right now... Zion probably didn't have a Jones fracture. He probably had navicular, cubiod, or heel fracture. It's why it's taken 4 - 6 months to heal.

I work in ortho... Nothing about this time line makes sense for a Jones fracture.
    That, or there's been some kind of additional complication throughout the recovery.

So either Griff lied when they said all it was, was a 5th metatarsal fracture.

Or he didn't lie then, but there's been additional pertinent information during the recovery process that he's choosing not to give out.

Now it might be the case that Zion's camp has asked for additional info not to be released, in which case, Griff is partially absolved - you always prioritise relations with the superstar over the fanbase. It just makes sense. But then it just redirects the questions back on to Zion's camp, or rather, Zion's family since he seems to have only his parents telling him what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If we are 6-18 or 6-24... Griff better shut this show down. We need talent.
    I said we'd be 9-17 early on and that he would return for the Denver game, on December 8. But, I am beginning to think it'll probably be worse as two of the wins I penciled in are now losses and my time table may have to be amended until sometime in 2022.

It's got to be some kind of set back. And the way Zion's camp treats information about his injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if the club was kept in the dark about it, at least initially. Griff is a salesman for sure, but to come out and say Zion fractured the 5th metatarsal in his foot when it was some other kind of injury entirely seems unlikely. My money is on a Jones fracture that isn't healing up, though if I was a Pels reporter I'd hit Griff with the old Watergate question: What did you know and when did you know it? I'd like to see the exact timeline and details for this injury nailed down. I think both the Pels and Zion owe us at least that.

On the earlier discussion about Zion's weight, obviously I didn't pull out a scale court side and get him to step on it, but I was about 20 feet behind him all game and had plenty of time to make an assessment. Like many of you I've played sports and been around sports my whole life. When I say he looks at least 20 pounds over his playing weight from last year, trust me that is a conservative estimate.

I’ll keep saying it, this feels like the early 90s Mavericks. I’m starting to get the feel that Zion will be shut down and has played his last game as a Pelican.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Glass half-full, least we'll keep the Devonte' pick.

Thread Information