Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: October 29th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Sacramento Kings - 1-4

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    and....

The starting guards had a whopping 4 assist between them. Ingram is working for everything he gets and still dishes out six assists.
    Agreed.. across the board everyone needs to be better. Including the guards. Maybe NAW just shouldn't be expected to be a facilitator. Just doesn't seem like it's going to be his thing. I don't know enough about Devonte's game to have any expectations outside of him being able to hit open 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nowhere am I putting the full blame on any individual there. Just listing the reality: we have a bunch of guys who shot real badly tonight, some of them for several nights (NAW) and that's going to lose you a bunch of games.

A big part of it is just everyone having to play more of a role than they should be and it's showing. Ingram is currently averaging 22FGAs a game. There are very few players on very few teams who should ever be taking 22 shots a night consistently, and he's not one of them. NAW is currently taking 16FGAs a game. That's just too much, he shouldn't be taking that many shots a night.

But they have to, because the shots have to come from somewhere and we're obviously missing someone.

Zion should be watching this going on for game after game, where we lose by a winnable margin in a game where everyone is just slightly overextended offensively, and he should be taking it very personally and using it as fuel to come back as soon as possible and to hit as hard as possible upon return. Him being out is forcing everyone else into a position they just don't need to be in.
    Yes, Zion is to blame for all of this, if we gonna put some blame on somebody, but I still think the team has to find a way to win even w/o him.

The Franchise
    Nowhere am I putting the full blame on any individual there. Just listing the reality: we have a bunch of guys who shot real badly tonight, some of them for several nights (NAW) and that's going to lose you a bunch of games.

A big part of it is just everyone having to play more of a role than they should be and it's showing. Ingram is currently averaging 22FGAs a game. There are very few players on very few teams who should ever be taking 22 shots a night consistently, and he's not one of them. NAW is currently taking 16FGAs a game. That's just too much, he shouldn't be taking that many shots a night.

But they have to, because the shots have to come from somewhere and we're obviously missing someone.

Zion should be watching this going on for game after game, where we lose by a winnable margin in a game where everyone is just slightly overextended offensively, and he should be taking it very personally and using it as fuel to come back as soon as possible and to hit as hard as possible upon return. Him being out is forcing everyone else into a position they just don't need to be in.
    NAW remains an enigma for me.. We see the highlights and stretches where he looks like a stud with a lot of potential. We also see stretches where he reminds you of a less erratic version of Westbrook. At this point I'm not sure what to make of him. But maybe you're right about Zion putting everyone in their natural positions. Which would elevate their level of play.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Yes, Zion is to blame for all of this, if we gonna put some blame on somebody, but I still think the team has to find a way to win even w/o him.
    I don't think it's a blame thing, it's not like he broke his foot on purpose. But that shouldn't matter, he should recognise that if he was on the court tonight we likely would have won. And that's also true for other games that we've lost so far this year. And he should take that personally. That doesn't mean taking blame, because what's done is done, but it should inspire his actions with regards to the future. Maximum effort, maximum dedication, maximum everything, please.
    Basketball.

The Franchise
    I kinda agree w/ this but some of NAW shots have been wide open and he's just missing them. As far as coaching, yes, Green needs to change it up, starting w/ moving NAW to the bench.
    I like NAW, but it's hard to defend him at present lol.. I can understand your frustration.

That's why I was wondering why everyone wanted NAW to be a starter. We still don't know what we have w/ him b/c he hasn't shown us he can be consistent.

I don't think it's a blame thing, it's not like he broke his foot on purpose. But that shouldn't matter, he should recognise that if he was on the court tonight we likely would have won. And that's also true for other games that we've lost so far this year. And he should take that personally. That doesn't mean taking blame, because what's done is done, but it should inspire his actions with regards to the future. Maximum effort, maximum dedication, maximum everything, please.
    Lol. I understand what you're saying and I hope you're right.

BI isn't taking too many FGs. This would have been an even bigger blowout if he hadn't taken 22 of them. And as I keep saying HE NEEDS TO BE SHOOTING MORE NOT LESS.

Where would this game have been if he hadn't brought the team back in the 3rd? He's doing his part. Going 9 - 22 isn't nearly as bad as going 7 - 30 like some other names people on here seem to love. But of course when BI does it, then it's a problem.

This wasn't a talent loss. Sad to say, Willie Green got outcoached. Sacramento kept running the same action at the key over and over and over and there was never an adjustment. Pelicans bigs just kept dropping and dropping. Jaxson damn near dropped under the rim once.

That's why they lost. And that's something this coaching staff needs to fix.

The only thing he should be taking personally is an interest in his diet.

The biggest ability of Zion that has been on display for the last three years is his continuous unavailability.

Zion doesn't change the result.. There are only so many shots to go around. Especially, the putrid free throw %

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    BI isn't taking too many FGs. This would have been an even bigger blowout if he hadn't taken 22 of them. And as I keep saying HE NEEDS TO BE SHOOTING MORE NOT LESS.

Where would this game have been if he hadn't brought the team back in the 3rd? He's doing his part. Going 9 - 22 isn't nearly as bad as going 7 - 30 like some other names people on here seem to love. But of course when BI does it, then it's a problem.

This wasn't a talent loss. Sad to say, Willie Green got outcoached. Sacramento kept running the same action at the key over and over and over and there was never an adjustment. Pelicans bigs just kept dropping and dropping. Jaxson damn near dropped under the rim once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    NAW remains an enigma for me.. We see the highlights and stretches where he looks like a stud with a lot of potential. We also see stretches where he reminds you of a less erratic version of Westbrook. At this point I'm not sure what to make of him. But maybe you're right about Zion putting everyone in their natural positions. Which would elevate their level of play.
    I think about it this way: right now we're taking roughly 90 shots a game. That's about middle of the league in terms of shots per game, so it's not high or low, really.

Assuming Zion comes back and takes roughly the number of shots he took per game last year (17 per game) then all of a sudden, guys like Ingram don't need to take 22 and NAW doesn't need to take 16. They can take 18 and 12 respectively, for example, and that would mean they could be more selective about the shots they take and get to take them with the benefit of a Zion attracting defensive attention in a way that nobody currently active on the roster does. Suddenly the job gets easier, for everyone involved. Obviously these numbers are just speculative, I'm not trying to prescribe how many shots should be taken from whom to allocate to Zion when he returns, it's just to demonstrate the point.

I feel kind of frustrated with NAW for the reasons you've mentioned. When he's at his best, he's driving a lot, being selective with his 3s, playmaking from the paint, and defending well. When he's at his worst, he's going 2/11 from deep, avoiding the paint for some reason, and getting beaten on easy defensive plays and rotations. Which is the real NAW? I hope the former, and maybe he'll be that more consistently with less offensive load, but at some point you'd hope he figure some of it out regardless, right?

I like Willie, but this franchise is in real trouble...absolutely zero positive vibe. It's like a slow death. At some point people will start to talk. And to think we were once THE fun franchise. Can it turn around? I sure hope so but what do I know?

Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Zion doesn't change the result.. There are only so many shots to go around. Especially, the putrid free throw %
    True we have to do better at the free throw line but Zion surely takes away some of the shots NAW is taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    He has to be better, but I don't like the idea of expecting him to win games for us in the fourth by having him iso and work his ****** off for a shot every time.

A competent offensive scheme should be in place to facilitate better looks for everyone.
    I mean, to a degree that's what happens at the end of games (particularly playoff games) the opposing team whittles your offense down to your best player, and the best player has to consistently work his matchups and generate looks for himself or others. Now it's tough because even if BI is playing largely isolation ball it's still a 5-5 game and the other players on the team have to react and position themselves to score if their man comes to help the on-ball defender or they rotate off a defensive breakdown, and the also have to be able, to, you know, score in those situations, and it seems like all around everyone is struggling to hit open shots. And then that just makes it harder for BI to generate his own looks because guys are just being played off of and not capitalizing on that.

But even so, I think, sadly, BI just isn't that guy yet. Not aggressive/assertive enough, too many mental lapses, mechanical play style, etc. He's still damn good but we need Zion back, and I'm not saying that to promote an agenda, I'm literally saying we need our best player back to make things easier for our #2 (and everyone else as well). I can't really blame coaching for guys just not making shots or being able to takeover games.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

You are right. His value to the team (even in this game) is easily measured. Tonight, when he was on the court, the team was a +6 (the best of all the starters).

No one should question what Ingram means to this team!!!

We need to draft a lead guard or we need to make a trade for one.

Basketball Guru
    as some of yall say...zion will save the season..

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I like Willie, but this franchise is in real trouble...absolutely zero positive vibe. It's like a slow death. At some point people will start to talk. And to think we were once THE fun franchise. Can it turn around? I sure hope so but what do I know?
    The vibe won't change until the team starts winning. You don't do it backwards. There's no positive vibe on any team that's 1-5, fam. The franchise is in trouble? Of what?

I'm rolling with the punches. I'll still be here no matter what.

We need to draft a lead guard or we need to make a trade for one.
    No, according to most, our lead point is the 320 pounder sitting on the end of the bench at present. When he comes back, he'll walk on water for us and lead us to paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I mean, to a degree that's what happens at the end of games (particularly playoff games) the opposing team whittles your offense down to your best player, and the best player has to consistently work his matchups and generate looks for himself or others. Now it's tough because even if BI is playing largely isolation ball it's still a 5-5 game and the other players on the team have to react and position themselves to score if their man comes to help the on-ball defender or they rotate off a defensive breakdown, and the also have to be able, to, you know, score in those situations, and it seems like all around everyone is struggling to hit open shots. And then that just makes it harder for BI to generate his own looks because guys are just being played off of and not capitalizing on that.

But even so, I think, sadly, BI just isn't that guy yet. Not aggressive/assertive enough, too many mental lapses, mechanical play style, etc. He's still damn good but we need Zion back, and I'm not saying that to promote an agenda, I'm literally saying we need our best player back to make things easier for our #2 (and everyone else as well). I can't really blame coaching for guys just not making shots or being able to takeover games.

It's hard to place blame on Ingram. The offensive load he's currently playing under is huge, and more than almost anyone else plays under. He's taking tons of shots while also acting as lead guard, while playing some of the largest minutes in the NBA (coming into tonight, he was joint 5th in minutes played so far this season). Hard to blame him for having mental lapses when he's under that much pressure.

I totally agree that we need Zion back, largely because having him back also gives us Ingram back as well. That is, it gives us an Ingram who can afford to pick his spots a bit more selectively, who can concentrate on playing his game, instead of being forced to try and be Bradley Beal.

Positive note though: Herb is awesome, and if he keeps this up I'd consider keeping him in the starting lineup when Zion comes back. Would love for Trey to make his way in there as well

It's hard to place blame on Ingram. The offensive load he's currently playing under is huge, and more than almost anyone else plays under. He's taking tons of shots while also acting as lead guard, while playing some of the largest minutes in the NBA (coming into tonight, he was joint 5th in minutes played so far this season). Hard to blame him for having mental lapses when he's under that much pressure.

I totally agree that we need Zion back, largely because having him back also gives us Ingram back as well. That is, it gives us an Ingram who can afford to pick his spots a bit more selectively, who can concentrate on playing his game, instead of being forced to try and be Bradley Beal.
    Faaaaaaaair point. I didn't want to make it seem like I was being to hard on B.I. because I think, as you said, his offensive load atm is incredibly high. But i do think it's clear he's not a #1 (yet). Whcih is totally fine, and asking him to be that this soon (or at all) is probably way unfair

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post

You're right, in the playoffs.. set plays become more difficult to execute. With that being said, with other viable threats on the court, there's more space for whoever is isoing to get a shot off. This isn't the case with BI.. With Zion back, things should be easier though.

Basketball Guru

as of right now,,zion,,jonas and graham will make ingram life easy.....naw needs to go to the bench and be the spark we need there...

graham,,ingram,,herb,,zion,,jonas...should be the starting lineup when zion get back...

Thread Information