Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - 2022 Tank thread/ NBA draft thread/Trade ideas

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Chet is very, very good at defending the rim. He alters shots and deflects before he even needs to jump. It’s required because he’s a skinny stick and will be muscled around for a while, but that won’t matter on the weakside.

But most of all, I do like that he’s a heads up player who is always looking for the right play be it driving to dunk or lay it in, or whipping a well timed pass.

I need to look at Paolo a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Chet is very, very good at defending the rim. He alters shots and deflects before he even needs to jump. It’s required because he’s a skinny stick and will be muscled around for a while, but that won’t matter on the weakside.

But most of all, I do like that he’s a heads up player who is always looking for the right play be it driving to dunk or lay it in, or whipping a well timed pass.

I need to look at Paolo a bit more.
    Chet's style of rim protection reminds me a lot of Tim Duncan. Duncan rarely got those mega highlight blocks where he leapt into the air and swatted a ball into the stands, so people would occasionally overlook it, but then you'd check the stat sheet at the end of the night and he had 6 blocks. This is cause Duncan loved to block low, before the ball was up into the arc of the shot, sometimes when it had barely left the shooter's hands, so that he could keep as much control over it as possible and try to recover the shot for his own team.

Chet does the same. Lots of his blocks come from smothering a shot low in the arc and trying to keep it in play. It's a bit less flashy than the Hassan Whiteside school of putting the ball in the next county, but it's usually better at actually protecting the rim.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Thoughts on Kennedy Chandler?
    Kennedy Chandler update now that I've watched a little more (Villanova and UNC games).

Initial thoughts are proving correct so far. Super small size and lack of elite vision/passing craft is hurting him a lot as a lead ball handler. He's got good recognition and makes reads correctly but I've seen several turnovers that have just been a result of being too small to pass over the defense, or having to make a bail-out pass when he meets any competition inside.

Shooting 41% from 2 is somewhat worrying, but again, expected with his size - he's barely 6'0, and he lacks elite athleticism or craft. Distance shooting is still promising, but whenever I see a guy that small they have to be elite at multiple things to make me consider them lottery level talents, and he's not showing that yet. Very good shooting, but that's it so far. Not an elite passer, not a brilliant defender or inside finisher. Reminding me a lot of Carsen Edwards in some ways, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I get your point, but if we're assuming upside - which we should, nobody drafts in the top 5 based on worst case outcomes, or at least they shouldn't - then Paolo's franchise helping upside is a 6'10 ballhandler who can score at all three levels both on and off ball who is also a positive on defense due to feel and timing, capable of running secondary offense.

That's pretty major, honestly. The question is just whether or not it all plays out in the optimal way - thus far in college, for example, the ''secondary offense'' thing is coming under question because while he did it very well pre-college, he's actually missing a fair amount of good passing reads early. That could just be adapting to the pace of the game, so judgment has to wait until there's a larger sample size, but it's something to be aware of and be concerned about.

Chet's upside is obvious. 7 footer who can shoot, ball handle, pass, defend the rim at an elite level without being a liability on the perimeter, etc. If all that plays out, that's an impactful player - KAT + defense in terms of skillset (though actually being a KAT tier shooter is unlikely for anyone of any position, let alone Chet). Right now, Chet's struggling with the shot a little from distance, but that's a more minor concern.

We're still early in the college season so things will differentiate more and more as they go along but it's pretty easy to imagine how most of the top prospects would help a struggling franchise, at least on paper. The question is just whether the progress happens throughout the season to counteract the warts on each player's game - and every player has some warts here and there.
    Fair assessment brother.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Kennedy Chandler update now that I've watched a little more (Villanova and UNC games).

Initial thoughts are proving correct so far. Super small size and lack of elite vision/passing craft is hurting him a lot as a lead ball handler. He's got good recognition and makes reads correctly but I've seen several turnovers that have just been a result of being too small to pass over the defense, or having to make a bail-out pass when he meets any competition inside.

Shooting 41% from 2 is somewhat worrying, but again, expected with his size - he's barely 6'0, and he lacks elite athleticism or craft. Distance shooting is still promising, but whenever I see a guy that small they have to be elite at multiple things to make me consider them lottery level talents, and he's not showing that yet. Very good shooting, but that's it so far. Not an elite passer, not a brilliant defender or inside finisher. Reminding me a lot of Carsen Edwards in some ways, actually.
    Who has the best vision/passing so far in your opinion? I know all of this is early, but I'm starting my reviews early with prospects lol.

Who has the best vision/passing so far in your opinion? I know all of this is early, but I'm starting my reviews early with prospects lol.
    Hard to say who's the best but I've been really impressed by Ivey so far. He's been throwing some pretty absurd passes, and while he is very turnover prone at this stage I don't really mind that for young ambitious passers. It's kind of like fouling with young defensive bigs: they do it, it's not the end of the world and it's usually something that cleans up with experience.

Chet's passing for his position though has also been very good. Obviously on paper numbers are just on paper and it's always possible to juice stats in college, but hes got a a 24%AST as a centre which is wild. His TOV%, like Ivey's, is also very high but again, I don't mind that much for ambitious passers at this age.

Also a really good passer is Andre Curbelo who plays for Illinois, but he's been just terrible, like absolutely dirt poor at literally everything else on offense so far this season. I mean, 32%TS is abominable.

Hard to say who's the best but I've been really impressed by Ivey so far. He's been throwing some pretty absurd passes, and while he is very turnover prone at this stage I don't really mind that for young ambitious passers. It's kind of like fouling with young defensive bigs: they do it, it's not the end of the world and it's usually something that cleans up with experience.

Chet's passing for his position though has also been very good. Obviously on paper numbers are just on paper and it's always possible to juice stats in college, but hes got a a 24%AST as a centre which is wild. His TOV%, like Ivey's, is also very high but again, I don't mind that much for ambitious passers at this age.
    Man I'm trying my best not to think to draft for need, but even for just upside I would love Jaden Ivey on this team. Just how penetrates the lane kick alone with his athletisism and regard for being a pest on defense just screams to being a winner.

We need more "winner" mentality guys on this team. Ivey having some ************** in him is a bonus too. Same with Chet

Man I'm trying my best not to think to draft for need, but even for just upside I would love Jaden Ivey on this team. Just how penetrates the lane kick alone with his athletisism and regard for being a pest on defense just screams to being a winner.

We need more "winner" mentality guys on this team. Ivey having some ************** in him is a bonus too. Same with Chet
    I think if you're top 5 in picks, you should completely abandon all ideas of need and just draft the player you think will be best, or has the biggest chance of being great, regardless of need. Imagine, for example, being a team picking top 5 and avoiding drafting Tim Duncan because you already have David Robinson so you don't need another 6'11 defensive anchor C.

Or worse, what if you don't have David Robinson and you just have a 'good' C. Imagine drafting Luc Longley in 1991 and then, cause he's fine so you don't need a C, you pass up drafting Shaq in order to take Todd Day the next year. Horrible goof. Just take the best guy, regardless of position.

Things get a little different if you're drafting 25th or something and you're already locked up with greatness at several positions and you only need to fill an 8th man slot at the forward, that's when you can be a bit more choosy.

Fun fact, coming into tonight's game Chet was shooting 20/20 at the rim. 100% from inside of 3 feet. Obviously pretty low volume, he's not a primary scorer, but the fact that he just doesn't fail when he gets it there is cool to note.

He's 3/3 at the rim so far this game as well, and has hit 1/2 from 3. 3 blocks. It's halftime.

I think Chet's block numbers may go down as the season goes on because there's a good chance that teams will just stop trying to go at him completely.

If we get that Lakers pick to convey and we already got a top 5 pick.... Definitely, see us trading up into the top 7 on top of that and dumping a pick to try to get a top big and guard.

We fire Griff and replace him with someone else. That person will probably dump Hayes and Kira.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If we get that Lakers pick to convey and we already got a top 5 pick.... Definitely, see us trading up into the top 7 on top of that and dumping a pick to try to get a top big and guard.

We fire Griff and replace him with someone else. That person will probably dump Hayes and Kira.
    We get a top pick in this draft and Griff will use it to trade down to 20th and then trade that for 28th and 36th and then trade 36 for cash considerations.

We get a top pick in this draft and Griff will use it to trade down to 20th and then trade that for 28th and 36th and then trade 36 for cash considerations.
    Lmao

I miss positive Dae... Sigh. Things are bad, man.

I am slowly falling off the Hardy bandwagon. Trying to be more lenient because Gleague is different. But still... Not the biggest fan of his film.

Jaden Hardy negative is simply more of the same issue that we already had...

Chet is looking delicious right now

Jaden Hardy might be a gifted athlete, but I don't feel like I lose that much with Ivey

Jaden Hardy might be a gifted athlete, but I don't feel like I lose that much with Ivey
    I have said before in this thread, but I really just don't buy the Hardy hype. Didn't have him top 8 coming into the season and nothing has changed that for me so far.

I have said before in this thread, but I really just don't buy the Hardy hype. Didn't have him top 8 coming into the season and nothing has changed that for me so far.
    I had some hype. His ability one on one can be special, but people are really quick to compare to James Harden.

I don't see any of that finesse to his game.

There is thing I really like about his game... His 1st steps/wheels, aaggressiviness, ability to string together moves and have a plan of attack in the ISO, ability to make different shots. He plays like a brute force wrecking ball in the gleague and that doesn't always translate to the NBA. Zion is wrecking ball, but he's so finesse on how he does it with that touch around the Rim. You got to have that finesse touch in your game. I just don't see it. He relies too much on speed to beat the brakes off guys. NBA players know how to CUT off speed and 1st step.

He's an interesting player, but I'd just try to go for Ivey if possible.

The Lakers pick only being top 10 protected sucks.

The Lakers pick only being top 10 protected sucks.
    Yeah it's a shame, maybe they get unlucky on the ping pongs and end up late lottery or something and we get their 13th pick or whatever.

Lakers have been very unimpressive so far though. I know they've had injuries and stuff, but they're currently the 9th seed despite playing a very cushy schedule: they've already played Rockets twice, Oklahoma twice, Spurs twice, Pistons, etc. Their upcoming schedule is easy too: next ten games for them includes matchups with SAC twice, Detroit again, Orlando, OKC again, and Memphis. If they can't get comfortable over .500 by the end of that run then when their Mavs/Bulls/Suns/Nets within the span of 6 games hits them they're going to fold like wet tissue.

Yeah it's a shame, maybe they get unlucky on the ping pongs and end up late lottery or something and we get their 13th pick or whatever.

Lakers have been very unimpressive so far though. I know they've had injuries and stuff, but they're currently the 9th seed despite playing a very cushy schedule: they've already played Rockets twice, Oklahoma twice, Spurs twice, Pistons, etc. Their upcoming schedule is easy too: next ten games for them includes matchups with SAC twice, Detroit again, Orlando, OKC again, and Memphis. If they can't get comfortable over .500 by the end of that run then when their Mavs/Bulls/Suns/Nets within the span of 6 games hits them they're going to fold like wet tissue.
    it goes to Memphis if it's not in the top 10

I had some hype. His ability one on one can be special, but people are really quick to compare to James Harden.

I don't see any of that finesse to his game.

There is thing I really like about his game... His 1st steps/wheels, aaggressiviness, ability to string together moves and have a plan of attack in the ISO, ability to make different shots. He plays like a brute force wrecking ball in the gleague and that doesn't always translate to the NBA. Zion is wrecking ball, but he's so finesse on how he does it with that touch around the Rim. You got to have that finesse touch in your game. I just don't see it. He relies too much on speed to beat the brakes off guys. NBA players know how to CUT off speed and 1st step.

He's an interesting player, but I'd just try to go for Ivey if possible.
    I think thr issue is you compare him to Harden as he currently is. A finished product. No one expected Harden to be quite this good. Not when he was a bench player at YHT. I can see the potential

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I think thr issue is you compare him to Harden as he currently is. A finished product. No one expected Harden to be quite this good. Not when he was a bench player at YHT. I can see the potential
    I didn't compare him to Harden lol. I found other did.

I might be on the Ivey train too. Need to see him live first.

Thread Information