Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - 2022 Tank thread/ NBA draft thread/Trade ideas

So... we better not do anything stupid like trade back...

Give me Jabari Smith Jr.

Val
    Jabari
    BI
    Hart
    Graham, that ain?t bad.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basketball Guru
    zion,,naw,,jax,, herb,, and trey...and the way things are looking now, we will be getting another top 5 rookie but depending on where we pick, we may trade back and get 2 rookies out of that deal.....so i guess a lot of posters on here are getting what yall wanted and thats for us to build through the draft......

I had read earlier this year that Tyler Herro could be had via trade cause he wasnt given a new contract and resigning him doesnt seem possible.. He hasn't been given a new contract; hence it wouldnt be hard to send them matching salaries. We could simply use our 'draft capital' right? Why cant something like this happen.

Not that he is greatness personified or anything. But the league is all about the 3-ball these days and it only makes sense to have at least one elite shooter on a team. He skills fit in with out two core players. why not him?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I had read earlier this year that Tyler Herro could be had via trade cause he wasnt given a new contract and resigning him doesnt seem possible.. He hasn't been given a new contract; hence it wouldnt be hard to send them matching salaries. We could simply use our 'draft capital' right? Why cant something like this happen.

Not that he is greatness personified or anything. But the league is all about the 3-ball these days and it only makes sense to have at least one elite shooter on a team. He skills fit in with out two core players. why not him?
    we got trey...just have to wait till it start to fall in place for him....

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Give me Jabari Smith Jr.

Val
    Jabari
    BI
    Hart
    Graham, that ain?t bad.
    What happened to Zion?

I'm starting to gear up my draft stuff properly now that I seem to have a little more time on my hands, so I'll be able to stop waffling over just guys that I like and start putting together early tier-lists and stuff, which is always nice.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    What happened to Zion?
    I just have him plugged in as missing 1/4+ of the season, so I’m planning on next year with that in mind.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 11-19-2021 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm starting to gear up my draft stuff properly now that I seem to have a little more time on my hands, so I'll be able to stop waffling over just guys that I like and start putting together early tier-lists and stuff, which is always nice.
    Thoughts on Kennedy Chandler?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Basketball Guru
    I just have him plugged in as missing 1/4+ of the season, so I’m planning on next year with that in mind.
    Lol man that's just cold lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Thoughts on Kennedy Chandler?
    I've only caught one of his games and I haven't seen a huge amount of his pre-college stuff, so I can't say too much. Obviously the gaudy shooting numbers are encouraging in terms of efficiency but he hasn't really played against anyone good yet since both Tennessee's games were against not-particularly-good teams. I'm cautious about his height and frame, an I'm looking forward to seeing how he holds up going forward. Can't say much more until I've watched more.

As I catch up on some film, I think what's most encouraging to me about Chet Holmgren is that despite his hype as a unicorn and a potential stretch guy, he doesn't just take meaningless threes for the sake of them. He does take them, don't get me wrong, but he's pretty choosy. They're not falling yet - and maybe they never will - but the fact that he doesn't seem to buy his hype on it is promising, as is the fact that he's not avoiding taking them either. Just selecting shots sensibly.

What I like about his defense is that he's not a huge gambler. 2 blocks and 2 steals in this latest game, 14.7%BLK coming into this game, and yet he's relatively disciplined when it comes to them. He's not swatting at everything indiscriminately and he tries to keep the ball in play. His style of block-chasing actually reminds me a lot of Tim Duncan, who was a master of trying to swat the ball low before it was up in the air. It meant that a lot of Duncan's blocks were quiet rather than big show-stopping blocks, and he could finish games with 5 or 6 blocks without you even really noticing it, but it meant that the ball was kept in play and he had an element of control.

Obviously the passing indicators are really solid as well. Nearly 20% AST for a legitimate 7 footer is always impressive - turnovers a bit high but I think that's coming more from a lack of balance on the more ambitious passes right now and I don't mind that so much as turnovers from a lack of recognition or from poor decision making.

Weight really is an issue for him though, as everyone's said. He's listed at 195lbs, and frankly I can believe it. He's got narrow hips and shoulders and relatively high hips as well, so he's never going to be a 250lb guy, but he does need to start looking into putting on 20lbs or so to try and strengthen his core and lower body, mostly from a health perspective rather than from an on-court effectiveness perspective. He's tall enough that outside of true monsters like Embiid, his lack of strength won't hinder him too much from using his length to overshadow opponents, but being that frail in the lower body when you know guys are going to go right into your legs all the time, that's a concern.

Enjoying his handle as well so far, which is always fun.

Funnily enough, my compliment to Holmgren about his passing is also my big concern for Banchero so far - he's missing a ton of really obvious passing reads that you'd hope he'd make. The shooting is low hanging fruit to criticise, but I expect some of that to come around - he hasn't taken that many, and the shotmaking has been good otherwise - but the passing reads are really concerning at this stage, he's missing stuff he was seeing pre-college. Need to monitor that going forward.

Make that Brogdon trade in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Lol man that's just cold lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Make that Brogdon trade in the offseason
    I'm not nearly as hot on Brogdon as some other people, but depending on the price I'd be interested in going for it. Depends on what the Pacers do, obviously. If they keep losing they might be more open to making moves than if things pick up for them.

Catching up on the Jaden Ivey hype. I had him rated somewhere around 10-14 before the year started, sort of late lottery area, but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I watched the NC game from today and went back to watch the Indiana State game from about a week ago, and there's a lot to like.

The shooting remains a question mark for him, I'm not a huge fan of his mechanics and the touch seems to be a little bit beyond him. That said, the FTr and FT% are both solid (though not exceptional) which are always good indicators of being at least a reasonable shooter in future. I'll be curious to check out his accumulated mid-range stats as the year goes on.

That said, obviously a powerful athlete. Really impressed with his control, and he plays bigger than the 6'4 he's listed at - wouldn't be surprised if he was actually an inch or so taller than that.

Passing's been solid so far, I was concerned looking at the TOs because his TOV% is pretty high and in the Indiana State game he was missing a lot of pretty obvious reads, especially ones that required him to use his off hand, but this NC game was actually much better in that regard and he didn't give it away nearly as much.

Based on some early concerns with some overseas guys - Jovic has started the year off a bit rough, for example - I could see Ivey rising into my top 10 pretty easily if this keeps up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211121_085124.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	6606Click image for larger version. 

ID:	6606

On my second try on Tankathon it gave me this lol. If this were to happen, which TWO would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	6606Click image for larger version. 

ID:	6606

On my second try on Tankathon it gave me this lol. If this were to happen, which TWO would you pick?
    Who is ever the 1st overall lock... Draft him 2nd to keep him humble.

Who is ever the 1st overall lock... Draft him 2nd to keep him humble.
    Highly doubt there's going to be a 1st overall lock in this draft.

Highly doubt there's going to be a 1st overall lock in this draft.
    It's Paolo... accept it.

It's Paolo... accept it.
    Could be, I like Paolo and I had him ranked #1 coming into the year based on pre-college performance. But the media loves Chet and he's been great to start the year whereas Paolo is struggling in a few key areas, and I could easily see an argument for Chet if the draft were to happen today.

Still lots of games to play before then, and Paolo could very well re-assert himself (and probably will, at least in some areas like 3pt shooting), but I don't think it's guaranteed that he takes it over Chet.

Could be, I like Paolo and I had him ranked #1 coming into the year based on pre-college performance. But the media loves Chet and he's been great to start the year whereas Paolo is struggling in a few key areas, and I could easily see an argument for Chet if the draft were to happen today.

Still lots of games to play before then, and Paolo could very well re-assert himself (and probably will, at least in some areas like 3pt shooting), but I don't think it's guaranteed that he takes it over Chet.
    What makes both players translate as game changers for struggling franchises? I guess that's my struggle with this year draft class so far. Chet has a better shot at that then Paolo imo. Not seeing translating game from Paolo that will affect wins in games yet. Not familiar with his Defense yet but thats what sperate Chet for me.

My current top three

1. Chet
    2. Ivey
    3. Smith Jr.

Whenever I look at talent the first thing I do is focus on their skillsets that will contribute to winning basketball games. Pelicans draft for talent and upside which I been a fan of, but young talent who contribute to games have things like 2 way possibility, high BBIQ, intangibles, passing, etc.

That's my focus this year instead of the usual "high upside" which is more like #3 for me this year.
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 11-22-2021 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    What makes both players translate as game changers for struggling franchises? I guess that's my struggle with this year draft class so far. Chet has a better shot at that then Paolo imo. Not seeing translating game from Paolo that will affect wins in games yet. Not familiar with his Defense yet but thats what sperate Chet for me.
    I get your point, but if we're assuming upside - which we should, nobody drafts in the top 5 based on worst case outcomes, or at least they shouldn't - then Paolo's franchise helping upside is a 6'10 ballhandler who can score at all three levels both on and off ball who is also a positive on defense due to feel and timing, capable of running secondary offense.

That's pretty major, honestly. The question is just whether or not it all plays out in the optimal way - thus far in college, for example, the ''secondary offense'' thing is coming under question because while he did it very well pre-college, he's actually missing a fair amount of good passing reads early. That could just be adapting to the pace of the game, so judgment has to wait until there's a larger sample size, but it's something to be aware of and be concerned about.

Chet's upside is obvious. 7 footer who can shoot, ball handle, pass, defend the rim at an elite level without being a liability on the perimeter, etc. If all that plays out, that's an impactful player - KAT + defense in terms of skillset (though actually being a KAT tier shooter is unlikely for anyone of any position, let alone Chet). Right now, Chet's struggling with the shot a little from distance, but that's a more minor concern.

We're still early in the college season so things will differentiate more and more as they go along but it's pretty easy to imagine how most of the top prospects would help a struggling franchise, at least on paper. The question is just whether the progress happens throughout the season to counteract the warts on each player's game - and every player has some warts here and there.

Thread Information