Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - 2022 Tank thread/ NBA draft thread/Trade ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think so.

The whole goal of an NBA franchise is to find a mega-star. A healthy Zion is a megastar. If we can possibly keep Zion with any reasonable expectation of him sticking with the team and being healthy, we absolutely will. He will get offered the max extension, in my view, and I think he'll take it, and he will be on the roster next season. Hopefully he'll be on the roster and actually playing.
    Just remember we’re dealing with a GM who said that Lebron coming back to the Cavs kind of ruined his experience as a GM even though they won a title with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Just remember we’re dealing with a GM who said that Lebron coming back to the Cavs kind of ruined his experience as a GM even though they won a title with him.
    This is right. It would not surprise me in the least if Griffin hates dealing with the Zion so much that he'd just want to wash his hands of it. However, at least in the Zion case, this is not a situation of "forced to grow too quick." We have the team and culture in place now that Griffin wanted to build. All he has to do now is sell Zion and his camp that he wants to buy in. If he's not willing to do that work, Griffin may not be the right man for the job.
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 05-02-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    His point, which he made very clearly at the time - unique for Griff, who normally obfuscates - was that it was uncomfortable as a GM because having Lebron on your roster means every year is a title year and you can't build anything long term. You're constantly borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and you know that every season Lebron makes you gut everything for a chance at contention is another year of the team's future you're flushing down the drain.

We're not in that same position. Griff may well have issues with Zion - though I have no evidence of this - but it's not because Zion's a star or because Griff doesn't like winning. This situation is nothing like Lebron's second stint in Cleveland.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    There is talk about the jazz wanting to get rid of Gobert. I'm not a salary cap nerd but I imagine there is no way we could afford his salary, even shipping out JV + Graham + Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    He sure wasnt when he played for the Pelicans. If he had been he would probably still be here.
    38% which is still elite, but now hes top 5 in the league

Averaging the same amount made over the last 2 seasons with slightly less volume this year

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Averaging the same amount made over the last 2 seasons with slightly less volume this year
    He was .375 and .378 from 3 in his 2 seasons with the Pelicans, which is not elite. For comparison Devonte Graham was .382 and .377 those two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

But still can't stay on the court.

Oh my god if we end up with Shaedon Sharpe next to Zion, BI, and CJ. He’s like a 6’5.5 Derrick Rose with a nice jumper. He’s the only player in this class that I think could end up better than a Zion and I think Zion will compete for MVPs?
    Last edited by akhan786; 05-02-2022 at 01:39 PM.

The Pelicans have so many options at this point. Have to say, I'm feeling pretty optimistic. If they jump into the top of the lottery, my favorite pick for them is Jabari Smith. His shooting and rebounding will help immediately while he acclimates to the physicality of the NBA. If the pick is #4, there are big choices to make. I'm not as high on Jaden Ivey as some-- I see his low assist & steal numbers as minor red flags, and wonder about his defense. Shaedon Sharpe would be a swing for the fences, but that determination has to be made by an insider who has access to his pre-draft workouts. I might be a little higher on Keegan Murray than many, and wouldn't be upset with him at #4. If the pick is #8 or 9, I'd be happy with Mathurin, Eason, Sochan, or Dyson Daniels. Hell, Murray could still be around at #8, which I think would be a very high value pick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So if Gobert gets moved to Atlanta, any way we can pry away Onyeka Okongwu? Is that even the move?

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    But still can't stay on the court.
    Thank you! Lonzo's injury history is worse than AD's!

If I were Griff, I'd run it back with Zion + the rookie and let Willie figure out the rotations. Make a trade at the deadline if things don't seem to be working out with a certain player. I don't think we can judge Graham until he plays with Zion. I don't think he forgot how to shoot. But if he still sucks, move him at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So if Gobert gets moved to Atlanta, any way we can pry away Onyeka Okongwu? Is that even the move?
    Pretty sure it will have Capela involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Thank you! Lonzo's injury history is worse than AD's!

If I were Griff, I'd run it back with Zion + the rookie and let Willie figure out the rotations. Make a trade at the deadline if things don't seem to be working out with a certain player. I don't think we can judge Graham until he plays with Zion. I don't think he forgot how to shoot. But if he still sucks, move him at the deadline.
    Totally agree and I think this happens unless there is an offer that Griff can't refuse.

Adding Zion is like adding a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Nah, with Gobert on a giant contract they'll be eager to keep their young, budget price centre. Capela will be out and, if push comes to shove, they might shift John Collins too given the years of tension between Collins and the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Totally agree and I think this happens unless there is an offer that Griff can't refuse.

Adding Zion is like adding a FA.
    This 100%

What do y’all think about Dangelo Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    Did you watch him this season?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Russell is an expiring $30mil+ player. On this team, assuming we keep Zion, at best he's our 4th option. Can hit the 3, but isn't great at it. Can pass, but isn't great at it. But...does he play real defense?

Just not the guy I'd want.

Glad he's on another team?

Hugely overpaid player who doesn't really do anything at an elite level. I think he's a sharp passer but not a great advantage creator which mitigates his passing impact, he's not a guy I trust as a primary scorer in a lineup, he's not a great spacer/shooter threat, and he's a poor defender. If he's being paid like $15m and he's your fourth best starter, you're probably alright but beyond that, yikes.

I have seen people nationally and locally say that this team needs a point guard. I think that's a mistake. You want your best players to have the ball in their hands. I think a caretaker type as a point guard takes the ball outside of your best players hands. You have enough ballhandling with Zion, BI, CJ, and Herb all being able to bring the ball up. I think with the playmaking leap BI made this year and with what Zion showed as a passer last year, there is enough passing and creation for others, too. Having CJ as the lead guard and Zion and BI as big wing creators is plenty of on-ball creation. I don't know what you get out of adding a player type who would probably be small and not great defensively and would amplify weakness, especially if you're taking Herb off the court.

Edit: I also think seeing Alvarado in the fourth quarter of games against the Suns was huge in terms of evaluating that as a need for this team. He was able to get into the lane and get defenses into rotation, hit timely shots, organized the offense and pushed the pace in addition to changing games defensively and with hustle. I think his most underrated quality is he hardly ever turns the ball over. I don't think he is a starting point guard just related to size and the makeup of this roster, but he is a guy who can be impactful at the end of games and do the things you would want a point guard on this team to do. And it wasn't a one-off, we saw him do similar things in high pressure games against good teams. The first time I really thought he could be an important player was when he was our best player in CJ's first game against Miami. He has exceeded expectations consistently every time he has gotten a chance. Give him some more minutes and have him prove what he can or can't do before you add another guard who may not be as good as him.
    Last edited by Biasvasospasm; 05-04-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Arguably, the loss in game six against the Suns was partially due to a lack of a point guard (no offense to CM). I agree that you can get by during the regular season with 'point by committee', but you can't get away with it in the post-season.

See: Curry, Morant, Luka, Paul, and Jrue. There is nobody on our roster who can limit/offset these guys.

I love Jose' (even said he was a steal when we signed him), but to suggest that there are no limitations due to his size is disingenuous.

I stand by my belief: if his head is straight, Ben Simmons would take this team to the next level. He's a 50%+ shooter who is simply satisfied dropping dimes all night long (our team is loaded with closers) and who will blanket any point guard in the league. It would almost not be fair when he and Herb were dueling it out with any other guard duo in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He's a 50%+ shooter
    I think there are plusses to Simmons (as well as minuses...plenty of minuses) but to say he's a 50% shooter and just leave it at that, like that's all there is to his shooting is...well, do you think nobody here is aware of his shooting issues? Or, are you just not aware of his shooting issues? Because his shooting cannot be described by mere %s.

As for getting Simmons on the Pels, we'd have to trade for him and I don't know why we'd do so considering 1) it's unclear if he's actually interested in playing basketball and B) if he's traded to us that means this immensely gifted player has been traded twice in short order primarily due to #1 and 3) the risk that he'd be toxic to the culture we've worked so hard to create. Not to mention the finances/tax situation...if there was a time to trade for Simmons, it was before the CJ trade. We're not in a position to add another $30+MM salary to our cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    I think there are plusses to Simmons (as well as minuses...plenty of minuses) but to say he's a 50% shooter and just leave it at that, like that's all there is to his shooting is...well, do you think nobody here is aware of his shooting issues? Or, are you just not aware of his shooting issues? Because his shooting cannot be described by mere %s.

As for getting Simmons on the Pels, we'd have to trade for him and I don't know why we'd do so considering 1) it's unclear if he's actually interested in playing basketball and B) if he's traded to us that means this immensely gifted player has been traded twice in short order primarily due to #1 and 3) the risk that he'd be toxic to the culture we've worked so hard to create. Not to mention the finances/tax situation...if there was a time to trade for Simmons, it was before the CJ trade. We're not in a position to add another $30+MM salary to our cap.
    I said it before and I'll say it again...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y37q7kvx

Would hate to lose LNJ, but adding a three time All Star and two time NBA All Defensive selection who is 25/26 years old is well worth the gamble.......PROVIDING HIS HEAD IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!!

But even if Simmons isn't the ticket (and he may not be), this team needs someone who can drive this 'Offensive Lamborghini', when the going gets tough. Trying to run this thing on a 'Point Guard by Committee' basis will never get us to the Promised Land. We need a complementary Point Guard (Lead Guard) desperately. Ask Giannis or Devin.
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-04-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y37q7kvx

Would hate to lose LNJ, but adding a three time All Star and two time NBA All Defensive selection who is 25/26 years old is well worth the gamble.......PROVIDING HIS HEAD IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!!

But even if Simmons isn't the ticket (and he may not be), this team needs someone who can drive this 'Offensive Lamborghini', when the going gets tough. Trying to run this thing on a 'Point Guard by Committee' basis will never get us to the Promised Land. We need a complementary Point Guard (Lead Guard) desperately. Ask Giannis or Devin.
    I'm not sure why Brooklyn would even do that trade unless we added picks. But the info below certainly doesn't help his value lolz:

Thread Information