Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 - 2022 Tank thread/ NBA draft thread/Trade ideas

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trade for Simmons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ Griffin Duke is coming on strong. take a look

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    From what Mac is saying, Zion is gone pretty soon (no surprises)

Luckily this draft is heavy with power forward talent
    When was Michael saying this exactly?
    That wasn't what was indicated in his last pod, more to do with his worth ethic than him wanting out.

If these media/pod people were clueless about a whole broken foot for months...how could they possibly know anything about anybody's work ethic? Wanting out? Family mad?

Or anything truthful at all.

But carry on.

I used to be in the "don't trade ANY future assets for short term players" camp but I've changed that stance after zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

Winning cures all. We couldn't get FAs this off-season. If we start making the playoffs, all of the sudden we become a more desirable FA market. We still have a lot of assets and I'm not talking about moving a large amount of them. But if we move a 1st and use the trade exemption to get a guy who helps us make some waves in the postseason, the impact it has on our free agency woes would make it worth it. The impact that would have in team morale leading into camp next season would be worth it, too.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Winning cures all. We couldn't get FAs this off-season. If we start making the playoffs, all of the sudden we become a more desirable FA market.
    I'm not convinced that is necessarily the case unless we start going deep into the playoffs. I don't think just making the playoffs does anything for free agents.

Agreed.....but's the first step. And an important one. This is Green's first year here so if the option is give up one of our many assets to cement this winning culture we're currently building vs holding on to everything and risking that fading away as we run out of fumes down the stretch, I'm all for giving up a bit and insuring this winning culture continues.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-15-2022 at 12:12 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Good lord no. Sneaking into the playoffs isn’t going to move the needle for FA’s. Also if you give up a first to make the playoffs, you’re actually giving up 2 first rounders since our pick this year is lottery protected to the Hornets (otherwise becomes only two seconds).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The solution to our woes is not going to be some middle of the lottery rookie. Unless we’re counting on another Herb Jones (who wasn’t even a lottery pick as we all know). So having alll these assets is just so we can…have them. Or we need to package them for a move when it presents itself most opportune.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The solution to our woes is not going to be some middle of the lottery rookie. Unless we’re counting on another Herb Jones (who wasn’t even a lottery pick as we all know). So having alll these assets is just so we can…have them. Or we need to package them for a move when it presents itself most opportune.
    Sure, but the argument presented was trading assets for “short term players”. This isn’t the year for that.

Building a winning culture vs consistently sucking to pile assets has historically been a one sided battle.

There's also a reason "winning cures all" is a clich? and there's no positive clich? based around hoarding assets.

Why the hell is De'Aaron Fox all over my timeline for? I hate when this happens because it never turns out to be real.

Why the hell is De'Aaron Fox all over my timeline for? I hate when this happens because it never turns out to be real.
    Probably just people dreaming of the best player that has been rumored to potentially be available. However, it seems he is available in a Simmons deal most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Catching up on the Jaden Ivey hype. I had him rated somewhere around 10-14 before the year started, sort of late lottery area, but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I watched the NC game from today and went back to watch the Indiana State game from about a week ago, and there's a lot to like.

The shooting remains a question mark for him, I'm not a huge fan of his mechanics and the touch seems to be a little bit beyond him. That said, the FTr and FT% are both solid (though not exceptional) which are always good indicators of being at least a reasonable shooter in future. I'll be curious to check out his accumulated mid-range stats as the year goes on.

That said, obviously a powerful athlete. Really impressed with his control, and he plays bigger than the 6'4 he's listed at - wouldn't be surprised if he was actually an inch or so taller than that.

Passing's been solid so far, I was concerned looking at the TOs because his TOV% is pretty high and in the Indiana State game he was missing a lot of pretty obvious reads, especially ones that required him to use his off hand, but this NC game was actually much better in that regard and he didn't give it away nearly as much.

Based on some early concerns with some overseas guys - Jovic has started the year off a bit rough, for example - I could see Ivey rising into my top 10 pretty easily if this keeps up.
    Do you see Ivey projecting as a lead guard/point guard in the NBA or an off the ball/2 guard?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    To unload Fournier's contract.
    I just don't get why they'd want to get rid of someone who has been one of their few bright spots this year though but yeah, if they're willing to do a Satoransky and Temple for Fournier then we need to be all over it. Fournier is pretty underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    Thank you sir! Yes I?m glad it?s changed as well. Don?t think I could stick around a board like that. Some people just like to be miserable.
    Yeah, they ran off quite a bit of posters. Based on what I see on the "join date" below our handles and profile pics, they ran off like 98% of the board. Props to those who stuck it out and to the newbies who make this a great place to talk Pelican basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    Yeah, they ran off quite a bit of posters. Based on what I see on the "join date" below our handles and profile pics, they ran off like 98% of the board. Props to those who stuck it out and to the newbies who make this a great place to talk Pelican basketball.
    This place always changes, now you guys got to learn not to attack newbies as you get comfortable.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

As crappy, and as negative a poster as I may be, I am happy we have this board. It truly is a great place to discuss the Pels.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    Great to hear TennMan23! Stick it out with these guys. I'm glad you didn't have to subject yourself to the old board in the 2004-2007 era. Saying that you were a "true fan" would get you in trouble with the haters back then. All they did was trash the players, team and league and then wondered why we would call them out for not being true fans. Complete idiots. I'm glad that this board has progressed to where it has.
    It was a weird place. Any good news was spin from a crappy organization. The very idea we could draft a player as good as Chris Paul was lunacy. Then we had him. Then we lost him. Then we got AD. And lost him. Now we have Zion. We?ll either lose him or we won?t. But I?ll keep coming around as long as we have a team. And not a second longer.

It was a weird place. Any good news was spin from a crappy organization. The very idea we could draft a player as good as Chris Paul was lunacy. Then we had him. Then we lost him. Then we got AD. And lost him. Now we have Zion. We?ll either lose him or we won?t. But I?ll keep coming around as long as we have a team. And not a second longer.
    It did kind of paint those naysayers into a corner. On one hand, they would say that the lottery was fixed and that everything in the NBA was a joke and rigged and would then follow that up with how the league didn't care for New Orleans. But if the lottery is rigged and yet New Orleans was able to get the #1 pick in seasons where they didn't come close to having the worst record in the league and also in seasons where there was a clear cut #1 pick, how could you possibly say that the league didn't care for New Orleans? A supposed rigged lottery system is benefitting New Orleans more than any other market at least as far as the 2012-2019 era is concerned as the #1 picks in between were Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, KAT, Ben Simmons, Markelle Fultz and Deandre Ayton. None of those guys were as clear cut a first pick in the draft as were AD and Zion.

I for one am stoked that NOLA is still in the ballgame. The culture and history of the city are a good change of pace for a league overloaded with boring, no name places like Sacramento, Salt Lake City, OKC and San Antonio. But to suggest that there was some vendetta against the city and some conspiracy to harm the market is just foolish.

The league could've easily have just left the team in OKC after Katrina.

Or they could've just thrown up their hands and said that Shinn can't find a local buyer and the team has no other option but to relocate but they didn't. They bought the team and cleaned it up so that a local buyer would be willing to invest but even then, they could've sold to Chris Hansen for over $500 million as that's what he was willing to buy the Kings for but they sold to the Benson family for $325 million. For a league that supposedly cares only about money and hates New Orleans, you would think that they would want to kill 2 birds with one stone and get the extra $175 AND clean up their Seattle mistake in one fell swoop.
    Last edited by Century City; 01-19-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Building a winning culture vs consistently sucking to pile assets has historically been a one sided battle.

There's also a reason "winning cures all" is a clich? and there's no positive clich? based around hoarding assets.
    But the myth is that we aren't sucking to pile good assets.

We are always acquiring No Man's Land Assets where if not for extraordinary luck. We will always stay a struggling franchise obtaining marginal talent.

We have never acquired a top 5 pick outside of Zion and AD in 17 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    But the myth is that we aren't sucking to pile good assets.

We are always acquiring No Man's Land Assets where if not for extraordinary luck. We will always stay a struggling franchise obtaining marginal talent.

We have never acquired a top 5 pick outside of Zion and AD in 17 years.
    I agree and this is the year to get one. We should hopefully, never be in this situation with Zion again. He's likely to miss the entire season, which probably buys Griff another year running the show. I REALLY hope that he doesn't go all out, for the play-in tourney. That's my main concern. I think we can try to win, while still not playing our main guys like BI and JV an insane amount of mins(both are averaging career highs in mins this year), but truly focus on culture and player development. I'd like us to lessen BI, JV, Hart's minutes to something more reasonable. Get guys like Herb, NAW, Jax, TM3 and Jose as many minutes as possible. Develop those guys and get them ready to really contribute to winning basketball next year.

We should finish with a bottom five record, if we stop going all out to win these games. Focus on developing our young core and get one more top pick to really solidify this roster as a young contender going forward. Ivey is the dream because of how well he fits our needs, we'd have to land top 4 to get him. Add him as our lead guard, get Zion back healthy to start next and let's never bring up the words 'tank' or 'lottery' again.

Ivey
    BI
    Herb
    Zion
    JV

With Hart, Graham, NAW, Kira, TM3, Jax, Jose and Billy as your depth guys. That's a fun and well-rounded team.

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I agree and this is the year to get one. We should hopefully, never be in this situation with Zion again. He's likely to miss the entire season, which probably buys Griff another year running the show. I REALLY hope that he doesn't go all out, for the play-in tourney. That's my main concern. I think we can try to win, while still not playing our main guys like BI and JV an insane amount of mins(both are averaging career highs in mins this year), but truly focus on culture and player development. I'd like us to lessen BI, JV, Hart's minutes to something more reasonable.

We should finish with a bottom five record, if we stop going all out to win these games. Focus on developing our young core and get one more top pick to really solidify this roster as a young contender going forward. Ivey is the dream because of how well he fits our needs, we'd have to land top 4 to get him. Add him as our lead guard, get Zion back healthy to start next and let's never bring up the words 'tank' or 'lottery' again.

Ivey
    BI
    Herb
    Zion
    JV

i wouldnt give NAW too many minutes but id give jaxon every minute possible at PF or C

we probably wont have favorable odds to get a top five pick considering we have had one of the toughest schedules thus far, zion hasnt played at all, the team is gelling, and we see a lot of improvement from two of our younger guys.

but being in the top seven could be all we need. I see my boy Mathurin has moved up to five on nbadraft.net unfortunately, but Hardy has dropped to nine. if we have all of our players we could easily find a complimentary piece in the top 7-10 picks and be more than solid.

hell, they got Ochai Agbaji at #21. the dude shoots 6.6 3's a game at 47%. that seems helpful

but it all comes down to zion and the consiiracy theorist and i dont know what to think
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 01-20-2022 at 09:52 AM.

[QUOTE=fullcourtpress;1571632][QUOTE]

i wouldnt give NAW too many minutes but id give jaxon every minute possible at PF or C

we probably wont have favorable odds to get a top five pick considering we have had one of the toughest schedules thus far, zion hasnt played at all, the team is gelling, and we see a lot of improvement from two of our younger guys.

but being in the top seven could be all we need. I see my boy Mathurin has moved up to five on nbadraft.net unfortunately, but Hardy has dropped to nine. if we have all of our players we could easily find a complimentary piece in the top 7-10 picks and be more than solid.

hell, they got Ochai Agbaji at #21. the dude shoots 6.6 3's a game at 47%. that seems helpful

but it all comes down to zion and the consiiracy theorist and i dont know what to think
    Nesmith shot 50% in college and he's trash tier in the NBA

[QUOTE=AusPel;1571647][QUOTE=fullcourtpress;1571632]

Nesmith shot 50% in college and he's trash tier in the NBA
    He only played 14 games that year which wasn't really accurate.. the previous year where he played more games he shot below 34% from 3

Thread Information