Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: League News: Accusations Against Sarver

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's also much friendlier with media members and has a more positive and effective PR department.

But the fact that we even have to consider those things is the problem - if you're a misogynistic racist who either actively harasses your staff or neglects to deal with it, it shouldn't matter how rich you are, how famous you are, how good your PR is, or who you know.

One of the many many many things wrong with the world right now.
    don't take this the wrong way dae, but I find it hard to care about stuff like this and similarly the situation with Cuban. The world is so banally evil that, while I wouldn't mind if Sarver lost his job over this, it also wouldn't push my buttons too much if the NBA just forced him into "reforming" his public image or whatever. It's just hard to put a lot of weight into the ethical wrongdoings of a guy that's (as far as i know) not a criminal, but just colorfully ignorant and stupid, but with the power to (up until this point) do so. What bothers me far more is someone like Sterling who was just virulently, proudly evil, or more essential to my point Robert Kraft, who's been tied to everything from cheating in his sport, to having literal murderers on his team, to being directly tied to sex trafficking, but skating away scott free, because in this world 1) he has accumulated an immense amount of social and financial capital, and 2) he's considered "a winner," and obviously it's not as though these are mutually exclusive points either. It's not the lone example of institutional wrongdoing/shadiness in sports, not even close to the most extreme, but imo probably the best encapsulation of the hocus pocus that is "justice" in this country. And it's just sad man
    Last edited by Funcrusher; 11-06-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    don't take this the wrong way dae, but I find it hard to care about stuff like this and similarly the situation with Cuban. The world is so banally evil that, while I wouldn't mind if Sarver lost his job over this, it also wouldn't push my buttons too much if the NBA just forced him into "reforming" his public image or whatever. It's just hard to put a lot of weight into the ethical wrongdoings of a guy that's (as far as i know) not a criminal, but just colorfully ignorant and stupid, but with the power to (up until this point) do so. What bothers me far more is someone like Sterling who was just virulently, proudly evil, or more essential to my point Robert Kraft, who's been tied to everything from cheating in his sport, to having literal murderers on his team, to being directly tied to sex trafficking, but skating away scott free, because in this world 1) he has accumulated an immense amount of social and financial capital, and 2) he's considered "a winner," and obviously it's not as though these are mutually exclusive points either. It's not the lone example of institutional wrongdoing/shadiness in sports, not even close to the most extreme, but imo probably the best encapsulation of the hocus pocus that is "justice" in this country. And it's just sad man
    I understand what you're saying to some extent, but I find it entirely possible to be annoyed/upset/concerned about problems on multiple scales. Horribleness doesn't have to reach some kind of Significance Level on the Evil Scale before I find it to be a problem.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I understand what you're saying to some extent, but I find it entirely possible to be annoyed/upset/concerned about problems on multiple scales. Horribleness doesn't have to reach some kind of Significance Level on the Evil Scale before I find it to be a problem.
    no no, you're right. i was just saying all that to explain my own tentative feelings of apathy towards this. Ultimately, regardless of it's grandiosity or lack thereof, it's still an issue, and it definitely merits attention and action by the NBA. And i do care about stuff like this, for sure. I guess it's more so i hesitate to work myself up about it because i feel like so many other things just go unseen or unpunished, to the point that the core foundation of things don't really change. And people stress over news like this and feel reasonably satiated when "justice" is dealt or the guilty parties are reprimanded, yet fail to understand that the framework that allows these men (from Sarver to Kraft to Sterling to Nasar to Sandusky) to have this kind of power remains fundamentally unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    no no, you're right. i was just saying all that to explain my own tentative feelings of apathy towards this. Ultimately, regardless of it's grandiosity or lack thereof, it's still an issue, and it definitely merits attention and action by the NBA. And i do care about stuff like this, for sure. I guess it's more so i hesitate to work myself up about it because i feel like so many other things just go unseen or unpunished, to the point that the core foundation of things don't really change. And people stress over news like this and feel reasonably satiated when "justice" is dealt or the guilty parties are reprimanded, yet fail to understand that the framework that allows these men (from Sarver to Kraft to Sterling to Nasar to Sandusky) to have this kind of power remains fundamentally unchanged.
    I do agree with that. Even with something like this, the worst that will happen to Sarver is that he'll sell his ownership stake in the team. He'll still be a billionaire, he'll still run other businesses and have a ridiculous amount of social and political power. It's barely even a small victory.

To make a real difference would require severe social change. Of the kind that a lot of people don't even want to think about, let alone endorse or execute.

Thread Information