Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: October 20th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Philadelphia 76ers - 0-0

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I?m actually feeling pretty good about the team now. JV missed a ton of shots but that?s an outlier. He will be fine. Also, Naji deserves to start imo. He?s too good on defense.

We would definitely win this game if Zion was healthy and in the game. Considering we played an elite team with a bunch of our new guys and young guys and a new coach I think we did ok.

Devonte Graham, NAW, BI, Zion, JV will be a killer lineup.

2nd unit: Kira, Hart, Murphy, Naji, Hayes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, as a Pels fan, I've just kinda become numb to our star players getting no foul love despite a heavy presence in the paint.

I agree, pchamp. My final thoughts. I think we'll win the play in tournament, overall. I did not think we would win this game. Especially without Zion and definitely after Hart went down. We're still good.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Certainly didn't seem like it, but both teams made 13 threes. The difference was Philly's bench knew what they were doing and the Pels bench looked lost.

Plus Jonas having the worst game of his career.

And Korkmaz having the best game of his career.

And BI not getting a single whistle despite attacking the rim multiple times against very aggressive defenders. But at least he is attacking again. Now let's get those 3 attempts up.

Oh well. These early season games can be super weird.

On to Chicago.

I think our lack of a true lead guard hurt us. Especially in the third quarter.

We are not ready for team like 76ers... not yet.
    We played really good 1 half, average 3 quarter and terrible 4th… Let’s move on , We need time and healthy Zion.

Just got back from the game. It felt like we played very well at halftime. 3rd was very slow mostly due to JV missing a million and one shots. He looked completely exhausted having to chase Embid around the entire half court since he was raining 3s so I'm assuming that's what happened.

Total flop in the 4th quarter. Morale seemed to drop as soon as Philly started raining 3s. Everyone stopped guarding and let BI do everything by himself. Feels like we went back to SVG game there. Hoping that was just rust and playing a more experienced team late in the game.

Really bummed about Trey's play. He was awful out there especially in off ball man D. It looked like he was running around in those flippers you wear when you go snorkeling. Not sure if he was just nervous or what but even I agreed with taking him out of the game and I have been shouting for him since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    Just got back from the game. It felt like we played very well at halftime. 3rd was very slow mostly due to JV missing a million and one shots. He looked completely exhausted having to chase Embid around the entire half court since he was raining 3s so I'm assuming that's what happened.

Total flop in the 4th quarter. Morale seemed to drop as soon as Philly started raining 3s. Everyone stopped guarding and let BI do everything by himself. Feels like we went back to SVG game there. Hoping that was just rust and playing a more experienced team late in the game.

Really bummed about Trey's play. He was awful out there especially in off ball man D. It looked like he was running around in those flippers you wear when you go snorkeling. Not sure if he was just nervous or what but even I agreed with taking him out of the game and I have been shouting for him since day one.
    Rookies are always terrible their 1st NBA games.

I'm really excited about the Graham/NAW backcourt.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think this is a team who can win a good amount of games. Val won’t face such a defender on most nights. Most NBA teams can’t test him offensively like this. And he won’t miss this many shots in a game in a long time. NAW is legit. Ingram is legit. Graham played

Offense did not seem to have any rhythm or plan. Thought Graham and NAW looked good. Jonas had no touch around the basket at all. 3-19 and most of the shots were within 3 feet of the basket. Murphy looked like a deer in the headlights. Kira and NAW struggled a bit on D. Not sure why Temple and Satoransky were on the court. Hayes was like a bull in a china shop again. Officiating was terrible and inconsistent. Cannot believe BI got 0 FT attempts. Only 9 FTA as a team (and 1 was a technical). Sadly, crowd was not good. Lower bowl was pretty full, but upper bowl was mostly empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    The team would probably be better served if one or the other came off the bench. We have to have more than five points (through three and half quarters) from the second unit (we ended up with 17 after the game was settled). I would probably start Kira and NAW and let Graham come off the bench since it's a role he already is familiar with and, after all, Kira is the only true point we have on the squad.
    Last edited by As I See It; 10-21-2021 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    The team would probably be better served if one or the other came of the bench. We have to have more than five points (through three and half quarters) from the second unit (we ended up with 17 after the game was settled). I would probably start Kira and NAW and let Graham come of the bench since it's a role he already is familiar with and, after all, Kira is the only true point we have on the squad.
    This is like 99% of the reason why I'm pretty unhappy with how handle Ball. Not particularly matching him, but not replacing him with a player of equal or any value. Then, we elevated our best bench player to a starter.

I'm glad Ball is gone, tho. Wish we could of done way better than Tomas, Temple, and Hart. Waiting for a trade that may never come is wack.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We will be really good when Zion comes back. I?ll be thrilled to beat Chicago

Crank the tank up after 1st game

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I agree there. NAW is definitely a positive. Grif better not shop him.

If Zion misses 20 games let's say, hopefully we can be 10-10 w/o him. We win games like this w/ him which is great b/c some folks like JV and Trey struggled tonight but they will get better as the season goes along and esp w/ Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    If Zion misses 20 games let's say, hopefully we can be 10-10 w/o him. We win games like this w/ him which is great b/c some folks like JV and Trey struggled tonight but they will get better as the season goes along and esp w/ Zion.
    6-14 might be floor or ceiling. I hope it's the floor. We are good enough to steal games once these fresh legs revert back to the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You must be new. We have been using Hart out of position the moment we got him
    Mainly because he's bad at all the things you would want a guard to be a good at, and his best skills are most traditionally seen as forward skills.
    Basketball.

Pretty meh about this one. It's evident that the team is missing someone who can really just annihilate guys in the paint, which is funny because it's almost like we have a guy just like that who is out on injury right now.

There were some positives, as others have pointed out. Graham was mostly pretty good, NAW had a few clear moments of breakdown but was generally good, and Ingram was Ingram. Officiating sucked, sure, and we had some dud games - Jonas, for example, was much less efficient than one would generally expect from him - but missing our best player against a team that most people think of as a lock for a top 4 team in their conference, I don't feel too bad about it.

I noticed guys move a lot better off ball on offense when JV is in the game. Idk if that is him being assertive and talking, but it was really upsetting to watch guys just stand around when it was just BI on the floor. No movement or cutting. Just stand there and watch him get swarmed. If he is taking a 3 on 1 mid range shot then you would hope there would be a cutter.

October 20th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Philadelphia 76ers - 0-0

I noticed guys move a lot better off ball on offense when JV is in the game. Idk if that is him being assertive and talking, but it was really upsetting to watch guys just stand around when it was just BI on the floor. No movement or cutting. Just stand there and watch him get swarmed. If he is taking a 3 on 1 mid range shot then you would hope there would be a cutter.
    I noticed JV talking a lot to other players during the game. Noticeably during a couple of free throw breaks and i also saw him directing NAW on a play that it looked like he called during the free throws of Philly.

JV was talking to NAW while one of the Phillly players was shooting free throws. Right after the ball was inbounded JV was setting up a pick and roll down the court and waved NAW through on the pick, passed off the roll to back to NAW for the easy lay up. He then fist clinched after the score, as if to say hell yeah. It was beautiful to watch

Yeah, BI has to be more vocal and they have to practice this more together. Green needs to tell them to talk more on the court, this seems to still be a problem b/c guys are quiet out there other than JV like you said. I feel JV will eventually be the leader on this team for some reason b/c you're right dude is assertive and talkative out there plus he just seems like he commands respect b/c I do agree we need a leader out there esp when we can't find our way in tough situations and times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I noticed JV talking a lot to other players during the game. Noticeably during a couple of free throw breaks and i also saw him directing NAW on a play that it looked like he called during the free throws of Philly.

JV was talking to NAW while one of the Phillly players was shooting free throws. Right after the ball was inbounded JV was setting up a pick and roll down the court and waved NAW through on the pick, passed off the roll to back to NAW for the easy lay up. He then fist clinched after the score, as if to say hell yeah. It was beautiful to watch

JV <3

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    JV <3
    A lot of people said that, whatever you think about Ja and co, JV was the best player on that Memphis team last year, and when you look at the lineups and the advanced numbers it's hard to disagree. Adding him, if he can reproduce anything like his 2020-21, is going to be huge for us.

This was a clear L before the ball even tipped. We all knew that. For the most part I thought the game was a positive. NAW is showing potential and Graham looks to be solid. JV missed a bunch of bunnies he normally makes in his sleep. The defensive has some was to go but Embiid is one of kind big that we couldn't do anything with.

Thread Information