Pelicans Report

Thread: First time at an NBA game

First time at an NBA game

I used to have season tickets to the Saints and am looking to start attending some Pelicans games - any insights on how things are different between the two ?

Give me a live NBA game over NFL game everytime.

The Pelicans gameday experience team is actually top notch. I think they have been ranked as the best in the league once or twice in the past few years.

They do a really good job of keeping you engaged and entertained through time outs and commercials and such which is a huge plus if you are bringing kids or someone else who maybe isn't super into the sport.

The pace of play is also a lot faster which makes a huge difference. Also, it's so much easier to get in and out of the games since you don't have to get there 3 hours in advance and wait another 2 hours in traffic after.

The one drawback, especially for Pels games, the fans are no where near as into the game as with NFL. But if you pick the right games then a lot of times it's good enough.

My 1st in person NBA game ever was the inaugural game against the Jazz. The funny thing was I had no plans on going my friend's brother brought tickets and couldn't attend the game so he gave them to us last min. I had been to a handful of Saints games as a kid and really didn't enjoy the experience at that age(especially from the nose bleeds in the Dome). I was hook after that game the energy is different for hoops game. The atmosphere was more energetic and intimate.

Now that I'm older I very much enjoy NFL games live but in person I think the NBA is still the more enjoyable product IMO.

I went to the game last night. Over the years, I have attended a few Pelicans games, though the last Pels game I had attended was perhaps several years ago, and I have not often watched the team on television. My random impressions, both about the game experience and the Pelicans' performance:

1. The Pelicans do a superb job of trying to provide an entertaining evening. The arena is first-rate. Those working at the game last night seem much more efficient and courteous than those working in the Superdome for Saint game.

2. Last night, the lower bowl was fairly filled up, but most seats in the upper level were empty. The energy level at a Pelicans game is a fraction of what it is at a Saints game.

3. I was surprised by the lack of police presence away from the Smoothie King Center.

4. Inside the arena, many were not wearing masks. The requirement that a mask be worn makes for a less pleasant evening. As one who has received his booster and tries to follow mask mandates, the mask requirement will make less likely my going to future Pelican games. I expect the state's mask mandate not to be extended and to expire next week. But I expect going forward the city's mayor to require a mask mandate.

5. Admittedly, I am ignorant of NBA basketball and frankly watch little pro basketball on television. I long for the NBA of the late 1960s through 1980s with the great Knick and Celtic and Magic's Laker teams. Last night, I was impressed by the play of Alexander-Walker; I thought Ingram is a good, though not a super, player; and I was shocked by the play of Valanclunas, who I understand had a historically horrible night.

6. I expect both the team's on-court performance and the game-night experience to improve exponentially once Zion returns. He is the team's lone star. He strikes me as an incredibly talented player and as a solid person, but a tad immature. There is much irony in reportedly Zion and some family members being disappointed in the team's lack of success when the principal reason for the team's lack of success is Zion's unavailability because of injuries.
    Last edited by RJinMandeville; 10-21-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Thread Information