Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: October 11th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Utah Jazz - Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There isn't a thing Garrett Temple can do on the court that we don't already have Murphy, Naji, and Hart to do. To say nothing of what Ingram can do. I'd be surprised if Temple is even on the actives most nights..
    Why did he get that extension then?

The lineups were all over the place so can anybody really be surprised we struggled in most of these games? I think Willie was mainly experimenting as he is a new head coach and is looking for his rotations. I’ll say it again- it’s a shame Willie didn’t have last season to build a rapport with these players and has to start from zero. We’ve had two one and done coaches in a row and that can’t help. I do expect us to be better in the regular season but I am just as concerned as others that some of these guys may steal minutes from those who should get them.

Another tough game to watch ...

By this point, everybody should know that coaches like veteran players...I'll be surprised if Temple doesn't start the season getting regular minutes, and I'll be shocked if it's a 2nd round pick like Herb getting minutes over him.

Temple needs to retire or be another coach on the bench. He airballed a floater for God’s sake!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    By this point, everybody should know that coaches like veteran players...I'll be surprised if Temple doesn't start the season getting regular minutes, and I'll be shocked if it's a 2nd round pick like Herb getting minutes over him.
    Nobody is surprised that coaches like veteran players. But there's a reason Udonis Haslem isn't actually getting minutes despite being on the Heat roster: he sucks now. He hasn't played more than 100 minutes in a season for six years despite hanging around on the end of their bench. Why is this? Coaches like veteran players! And Haslem is a Heat legend!

Well, it's because Spoelstra is a good coach and he knows that Haslem is there for vet leadership and locker room culture, and that as a player Haslem has been beyond washed for years now.

Good coaches recognise these things. It doesn't matter how much of a veteran someone is if they cannot play. We got veteran'd to death with Bledsoe last year, we don't need another season of it from a new coach.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nobody is surprised that coaches like veteran players. But there's a reason Udonis Haslem isn't actually getting minutes despite being on the Heat roster: he sucks now. He hasn't played more than 100 minutes in a season for six years despite hanging around on the end of their bench. Why is this? Coaches like veteran players! And Haslem is a Heat legend!

Well, it's because Spoelstra is a good coach and he knows that Haslem is there for vet leadership and locker room culture, and that as a player Haslem has been beyond washed for years now.

Good coaches recognise these things. It doesn't matter how much of a veteran someone is if they cannot play. We got veteran'd to death with Bledsoe last year, we don't need another season of it from a new coach.
    Temple started 25 games last year and has been a regular rotation player/semi-regular starter for years, he's not at all comparable to Haslem (if you want a clue as to how their respective organizations view them, take a look at their salaries). Similarly, Green is not comparable to Spo and, as a rookie coach of a young team, seems much more likely to play a defensive minded veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Temple started 25 games last year and has been a regular rotation player/semi-regular starter for years, he's not at all comparable to Haslem (if you want a clue as to how their respective organizations view them, take a look at their salaries). Similarly, Green is not comparable to Spo and, as a rookie coach of a young team, seems much more likely to play a defensive minded veteran.
    His is comparable to Haslem in that they both are not very good at basketball anymore.

You're right about one thing though: if Green seriously gives heavy responsibilities and minutes to Temple, he's definitely not comparable to Spoelstra.

Thread Information