Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: October 6th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Orlando Magic - Preseason

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Well... Atleast we can agree now that passing on probably the only promising 2nd rounds in like ten years due covid forcing players to skip the 2020 draft was wack.

I guess we paid off that SVG bill.
    Don't know what you mean by ''we can agree now'', I was lamenting not getting Butler or Sharife at the time
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Don't know what you mean by ''we can agree now'', I was lamenting not getting Butler or Sharife at the time
    I was talking about poster that where like "2nd round picks don?t amount to anything. Blah. Blah" ...

It's Just crazy how great that draft was. NBA was overdue for a big draft, anyway.

I couldn't remember the last time I was ever excited for the 2nd round.
    Last edited by Taker597; 10-07-2021 at 12:34 AM.

I was talking about poster that where like "2nd round picks don?t amount to anything. Blah. Blah" ...

It's Just crazy how great that draft was. NBA was overdue for a big draft, anyway.

I couldn't remember the last time I was ever excited for the 2nd round.
    I mean, in fairness to them we are talking about summer league and pre-season. Before the definitive stuff can come around we have to wait at least a little while: if Butler and Cooper and co are still contributing effective NBA minutes in January, there's a bit more room to be the ''I told you so'' types.

But yeah, there was talent available and we just kinda skipped on it for much of the time.

It's nice to know that we have several guys outside of Zion and BI who can explode for big scoring nights. Graham, NAW, Murphy, and Jonas are guys who can really get hot and light it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    It's nice to know that we have several guys outside of Zion and BI who can explode for big scoring nights. Graham, NAW, Murphy, and Jonas are guys who can really get hot and light it up.
    Hopefully they can do it on a somewhat consistent basis (at least 1-2 of them).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hopefully they can do it on a somewhat consistent basis (at least 1-2 of them).
    Jonas was the most consistently good player on a playoff team last season. As long as he stays healthy, I have a ton of confidence in him

NAW put in some serious work on his body over the offseason to go along with his movement shooting. Dude is legit jacked now at 6'7. That's scary

Very curious to see how NAW and Murphy play once the lights are on and the crowd is roaring. Very different between preseason and regular season games but promising signs from both.

My prediction: As long as we avoid getting out-hustled and the effort is there I think we take most of the lower league games. That was our Achilles-heel last season. We performed well against the better teams because we showed up for those games and we technically have the players to match up with them. Now that we added a few pieces I am curious to see if we take that next step. Our defense does not need to be incredible- they just need to show up at the right moments and we have to take care of the ball. We have the offensive talent to carry us.

I think Coach Willie will make sure the effort is there. That’s one of his must have’s and I don’t believe he would hesitate to sit a guy if he’s not given it to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    We knew this before the season started, but seriously get rid of Garrett Temple. Seriously. He is a wasted roster spot.
    unrelated, but, R.I.P Metal Villian
    Last edited by Funcrusher; 10-07-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Not expecting Zion to be back until November
    c'mon man. Please don't throw stuff like this out there unless you have sources, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    c'mon man. Please don't throw stuff like this out there unless you have sources, lol
    I mean... He has a legitimate reason to be skeptical of "Zion Timetable returns" goes...

It sucks to be negative, but it something we should brace for to be honest...

I mean... He has a legitimate reason to be skeptical of "Zion Timetable returns" goes...

The difference between the first game and November is less than two weeks (12 Days). Especially with two back-to-backs scheduled during that time, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him held out or at least not playing in back-to-backs. Like it or not, during his short career he has established a history.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    unrelated, but, R.I.P Metal Villian
    Ahhh, 1 person got the reference.

Last edited by ragincaucasian; 10-07-2021 at 07:14 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Definition: supervillain. A killer who loves children. Well skilled in destruction as well as buildin'.

I still don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Definition: supervillain. A killer who loves children. Well skilled in destruction as well as buildin'.
    OK, now 2. You guys are googling this aren't you.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I still don't get it

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Nah. MF DOOM was one of my favorite artists and it broke my heart when I found he passed. First caught on when Adult Swim had him host a Christmas special and then I bought Danger Doom because of the Aqua Teen track on it.

Nah. MF DOOM was one of my favorite artists and it broke my heart when I found he passed. First caught on when Adult Swim had him host a Christmas special and then I bought Danger Doom because of the Aqua Teen track on it.
    Halloween 2020. Coming up on 1 year.

I finally got around to watching this game. (I was pleasantly surprised it recorded). Quick takeaways:

NAW: He’s definitely matured both physically and mentally. His confidence seems a lot better. That’s always been his limitation, he gets way too down on himself. But I like his game. Fingers crossed, he should be a big upgrade over Lonzo Ball as the starting 2 guard. He doesn’t have the serious flaws in his game that Lonzo has.

Trey: I like his stroke, his confidence and his off the ball movement. His on the ball movement, not so much, and he needs to take better care of the ball. He definitely seems a lot more mature than the typical rookie. A lot more mature. I would probably hold off putting him the starting lineup though, that’s asking a little bit too much. I think he’s probably going to struggle a bit defensively, especially if he’s asked to guard starting NBA guards.

Kira: This board has been pretty down on him, but I thought he looked ok in this game. It’s fairly obvious that he’s our only true “point” guard on this team, so hopefully things will start to slow down for him a bit. He played under control and hit a couple of contested outside shots when he had to.

Jonas: I was really impressed with this guy. He’s got a real nice touch, soft hands, good rebounder, and good vision. I’m kind of surprised that Memphis gave him up so easily. (Of course being the NBA, it probably has something to do with his contract or some other nonsense that I care nothing about). He was also a lot more physically imposing than I remember him being. He kind of gives us the positives of Steven Adams without a lot of Adams’ negatives.

Graham. Didn’t really see enough of him to form an opinion. Kind of just looked like another guy to me.

Overall, I liked our energy, and I liked our basic drive and dish game. We actually looked like a modern NBA team, even if we were missing a bunch of shots early on.

Which brings me to Willie Green. I like his presence. He looks the part of an NBA coach. And I thought his timeouts came at appropriate times. The players seem to like playing for him, which is the polar opposite of Stan Van Grundy. They really seemed to dislike that guy.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 10-07-2021 at 09:10 PM.

lmao. bro, do you not see my pfp/pfn? I know just about every rapper/rap group there is (well, NOT EVERY, but...)

Halloween 2020. Coming up on 1 year.
    Honestly hit me worse than Kobe's death did, and I'm still processing both

Born alone die alone, no matter who your man is, hope he live long enough to tell it to his grandkids

i get the sentiment, but just saying stuff like that like it's acutally been reported or speculated by credible sources is just weird to me

Thread Information