Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: October 6th - New Orleans Pelicans vs Orlando Magic - Preseason

I can see a closeout lineup of Graham/NAW/BI/Trey/Zion with Zion playing point and everyone spacing. Thats some good shooting to have around Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I can see a closeout lineup of Graham/NAW/BI/Trey/Zion with Zion playing point and everyone spacing. Thats some good shooting to have around Z.
    Either Jonas or Graham depending who we're playing.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    We knew this before the season started, but seriously get rid of Garrett Temple. Seriously. He is a wasted roster spot.

This third unit is a very spirited bunch. I like it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Trey Murphy has great potential. Certified sniper

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Alvarado and #34 esp.

Trey Murphy through 2 preseason games: 12/19 from 3. 9.5 attempts per game, shooting 63.1% in 29.5 minutes per game.

So he's taking 12 attempts per 36 and shooting 63.1% on them.

Obviously he's not going to shoot 63.1% from 3 for a full season, but if he can even hit 38% on that kind of volume, that's a historically good rookie shooting season in terms of volume and efficiency together.
    Basketball.

The thing that stands out to me apart from NAW being himself is Trey is actually looking good and ready to contribute already

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Trey Murphy through 2 preseason games: 12/19 from 3. 9.5 attempts per game, shooting 63.1% in 29.5 minutes per game.

So he's taking 12 attempts per 36 and shooting 63.1% on them.

Obviously he's not going to shoot 63.1% from 3 for a full season, but if he can even hit 38% on that kind of volume, that's a historically good rookie shooting season in terms of volume and efficiency together.
    Yeah, im surprised he is THIS good already. Usually it takes time to get acclimated. Dude was ready from the jump.

I had a list of players I was hoping they could pick. After they all went Trey was next. So I was never disappointed at all with the pick.

But nobody could have predicted this. It's not just the sniping. He's also 6'9" with hops and plays solid defense.

Trey and Herb is a hell of a draft so far.

And last year wasn't too bad either. Another good game from Kira.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Being someone defenses need to fear already will be a huge bonus. Put him and Zion on the same side of the court and...you can run that action all game.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I had a list of players I was hoping they could pick. After they all went Trey was next. So I was never disappointed at all with the pick.

But nobody could have predicted this. It's not just the sniping. He's also 6'9" with hops and plays solid defense.

Trey and Herb is a hell of a draft so far.

And last year wasn't too bad either. Another good game from Kira.
    One thing for sure, Griff has done great on the three drafts. Zion, Jaxson, NAW, Kira, Trey and Herb. He may have other flaws but can't say he hasn't hit on this.

Did they release an update on that? Cause on media day they said they think he may well be back by the first regular season game.
    No they haven't, I'm just expecting them to be cautious with Zion especially since he isn't even doing running drills yet and we are 14 days away from the regular season.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Being someone defenses need to fear already will be a huge bonus. Put him and Zion on the same side of the court and...you can run that action all game.
    Assuming NAW's shooting holds up, and that Graham returns to form, lmao at defenses having to potentially defend a Graham/NAW/Trey/Zion unit. The 5th guy could be a number of people depending on specific matchups, you could imagine JV, Jax, Ingram, Naji, etc, all slotting into that 5th spot.

Zion + 3 guys who can shoot 38% or better from 3 on high volume, and they all have a quick trigger. Ouch. Yikes.

And the defense wouldn't even have to be that bad in return (which is usually the price you pay for going with insane offensive units) - Graham is fine as a PG defender, NAW and Trey are both actively good, and Zion had improved by the end of last season to being only a slight negative. Depending on the 5th guy especially, the defense with that lineup would be totally workable.

How much does Zion (and BI for that matter) improve on D just purely by not having to exert so much energy to create everything for him on offense this year?

We all know he has defensive talent, especially as help. But last year he just looked like he was exhausted on D and letting things blow by him to save the energy. And obviously no one can say anything when you are putting 40 up the other way with no help.

Basketball Guru
    the board is calm tonight and trey will represent us in the 3pt shooting contest all star weekend...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trey Murphy is going to help the PELS win. He?s the best 3 and D player in the draft. I think he should come off the bench for BI. I?d have him shoot 10 threes a night. Seriously. Put him in with Zion, Jonas, Hart, and Graham. I really think have elite rebounders will make the offense super deadly with Trey shooting 3s all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it matters who starts, what matters is who finishes esp in tough game situations and yes the combo of NAW, Trey, Zion and BI w/ JV or Graham will prob be out there then, when needed the most. NAW should come off the bench b/c he will be the spark plug needed and the starting should be Graham, BI, Zion, Naji and JV b/c Naji is the defense spark plug for 4 great shooters then NAW comes in and fires up the bench along w/ Trey, Hart, Jaxson and Herb. Kira and Hernangomez will get in the games rotationally and/or if someone gets hurt.

I'm loving the depth. That's 12 players that can go for you and we still have Sato and Temple.

hate to doompost after a win where the young players looked good, but the fact the pelicans took Herb over Jared Butler is going to haunt me for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    hate to doompost after a win where the young players looked good, but the fact the pelicans took Herb over Jared Butler is going to haunt me for a while.
    They didnt draft Herb "over" Jared Butler. They could have took BOTH. That stings a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    We had that pick but Griffin sold it the ************

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We had that pick but Griffin sold it the ************
    Sunk cost. Something these GM's dont realize.
    For some reason they think that Didi deserved a contract.
    I dont see what skill he has in the NBA. He was barley good enough in the NBL.
    At least you can see that Butler has good ball skills, something that this team lack in the second unit.

Pels through the 2 preseason games so far and where these would have ranked overall last season.

ORTG: 105.96 - 27th in the NBA
    DRTG: 98.0 - 1st in the NBA

The strange things small sample sizes in preseason can do.

The plus side is that our offense has a very obvious source of scoring at our weakest area (paint, so far in preseason) ready to come back soon. In fact, the most intense paint scoring threat of the era. So that should work out well.

While we're at the doomposting over the draft stage, Sharife Cooper has looked real good too.

While we're at the doomposting over the draft stage, Sharife Cooper has looked real good too.
    Well... Atleast we can agree now that passing on probably the only promising 2nd rounds in like ten years due covid forcing players to skip the 2020 draft was wack.

I guess we paid off that SVG bill.

Thread Information