Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: October 4th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Minnesota Timberwolves - Pre Season Debut

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Will Guillory is reporting that X-rays came back negative on JAX and he suffered a "right leg contusion".
    Well thats a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Well thats a relief.
    Only problem is that an X-ray doesn't typically show tissue damage; only an MRI will conclusively show that. I don't know that he is out of the woods just yet.

My hot take that I shouldn't take after one preseason game where two of our top three players didn't play:

1) We won't have a traditional PG. Most of us figured this...but today we saw it in action. We're not waiting for Graham, Kira, NAW, or Temple to step up into the PG role.....we're going to mostly use BI and Zion at the point. Graham, NAW, Kira, and Temple won't be spending this camp learning how to run the offense. They'll spend it learning how to play off the ball. Missing Zion meant that we're missing our most prominent point player. So if he plays in game one, that's going to be rusty.

2) If that take is accurate, it doesn't bode well for Kira here. I do believe he can become a starting quality PG....but if Zion and BI are mainly running the point, Kira's current skillset does not fit that. I imagine we'll rotate BI and Zion where one of them is on the floor at all times. If not, then maybe Kira can find his spots running a traditional point with JV, Hart, Naji, Trey or something.

3) We absolutely got DESTROYED on in the interior. But we were also missing our two bruising interior players. The TWolves were exploiting that like this was a playoff game but we can't really make any judgements off of that.

4) It's very disheartening to see the EXACT same problems as last year in regards to perimeter defense and horrible 3pt takes. I think most of us were prepared for preseason basketball and no judgements but then lost composure when the same problems triggered #PelsLife PTSD. But this is a new regime. Let's give WG some time to work on it PLUS when your interior is getting worked so hard it tends to trickle out to poor 3pt shooting and bad perimeter D. So we'll see if getting our paint starters back helps.

5) I love Joel and AD so much. I miss them. I also wonder how annoying they are to our opponent's fans. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

We gotta keep things in perspective. Even with the turnovers we controlled the game for 3 quarters. We lost in the second quarter and that's due to Minnesota always having 2 out of their 3 stars on the court for almost the entire quarter while we had our reserves in the game. They opened the quarter with Russell and Towns and subbed Towns out for Edwards at the mid way point of the quarter. We didn't put our starters back in until the 5 minute mark when the game has already gotten out of hand.

Not a great first preseason game but there are some positives to take away from it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’m almost glad Murphy got his shot blocked like that. It’s a flaw he can work to fix. His off the dribble game will be what makes him elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lmao at the people in this thread doomposting over a pre-season game missing 2 of our 3 best players and doing clearly experimental lineups.
    Its amazing ain't it?

PSA: I have 2 tix for the Wed pre season game that I will absolutely not be using. Free to a good home. Section 301. Just let me know and I'll transfer them through SeatGeak (After I figure out how to do that lol)

Basically I bought Saints preseason tickets and Ida canceled the game, so they gave me Pels tickets to Pre Season and Regular season openers.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    As usual, you find the absolute stupidest comments is gameday threads on the internet. My god the overwhelming stupidity.

That said I hope this is the vet politics game for Willie Green out of the way.

There is no reason Garrett Temple should start over NAW. Not even in preseason. NAW is the better player.

I've said all along Billy is a good player with big limitations. He should not get the nod over Jaxson. Jax is the better player.

Tomas should not get minutes over Kira. Kira is the better player.

This team does NOT need to give up assets to go find a "true point guard." For a 1st game with a new team Graham looked very good to me. Exactly what I expected.
    Kira better than Tomas based on what? Potential? Probably. Currently? No.

Graham did not look good at all.

However, this was the first preseason game with a new coach. It was more about him getting to see some of these players in action than trying to win a game. It was a "feeling out" game.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post

However, this was the first preseason game with a new coach. It was more about him getting to see some of these players in action than trying to win a game. It was a "feeling out" game.
    This

I like Herb a lot by the way. Like many he needs to learn to finish the gimees, but he at least looks like an NBA player down the line.

I think majority of fans are going to dislike Graham's value, because fans oddly value draft picks of unknown commodity way too high.

Which is going to be unfair for Graham. I think he'll settle in as mostly a 6th man situational shooter once the rest of team catches up to speed.

Which is fair value in my opinion. My biggest issue with Lonzo is that he was a better role player than a starter. When you're force to play through his lowlights and poor end of game moments. He looks like a much worse player than he is.

Graham will get heavy minutes to start the season, but if TM3 and NAW makes that leap to command starting roles. It gives you more versatilty.

Graham gonna play like a $12 million dollar player. So, I feel people should reign in their expectations on him. Let him just play his role.
    Last edited by Taker597; 10-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Kira looked better than Tomas based on WATCHING the game last night. Kira made plays at all 3 levels and helped lead the comeback. Had 9 points in 12 minutes. What did Tomas do? Anything you can point to at all? Anything? He looked like he always does. So your comment is highly perplexing. He's an expiring that wont be here all year.

Graham also settled in as the game went on. He also made some high level passes that didnt reach the target. But that's expected. Especially with that Frankenstien lineup. In a 1st preseason game I just want to know those passes are there. The execution will come later. He also got to the line and looked good in pick and roll. He didn't look good at all?

This just seems like people who know how to watch preseason games and those who dont. Which is not surprising.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-05-2021 at 02:16 PM.

This team has a heart ... After such a weak 2nd quarter they should give up, but they didn't - and this is a big +

Definitely for improvement - efficiency and tournovers.

BIGEST + NAW and TMIII

I think a lot of people have a very wrong idea of who Devonte Graham is as a player. I tried to warn folks last month that he will have quiet, pass first type games because he can actually pass the ball.

Which is why I'd much rather have seen him with Jax more because he is pretty adept at getting into the paint and throwing lobs.

He's not some microwave, volume scorer many people think he might be. I initially thought the same but if you look more deeply you quickly realize he is not that. Though he can put up points if he's hot.
    Last edited by luckyman; 10-05-2021 at 03:17 PM.

I think a lot of people have a very wrong idea of who Devonte Graham is as a player. I tried to warn folks last month that he will have quiet, pass first type games because he can actually pass the ball.

Which is why I'd much rather have seen him with Jax more because he is pretty adept at getting into the paint and throwing lobs.

He's not some microwave, volume scorer many people think he might be. I initially thought the same but if you look more deeply you quickly realize he is not that. Though he can put up points if he's hot.
    People are sleeping on Graham a little but his value is spot on for his cost. His only real knock is size and defense but I can live with that for what he brings offensively. I agree that people think his only skill is shooting but he adds quite a bit of playmaking, especially out of the PnR

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lmao at the people in this thread doomposting over a pre-season game missing 2 of our 3 best players and doing clearly experimental lineups.

Am I the only one here that remembers Utah going 0-4 in the 2019-20 preseason (including losing one game by about 40) before going on to win 44 games and make the 6th seed?

That kind of thing is not unusual. Obviously things would be bad if we suck this year, I said as much in the OP, but I feel like game one of preseason is a little early to be drowning the sorrows.
    I have no idea who you could be referencing, but I also am shocked and appalled. Don't these people understand that we are a perennial winner and always put a great product on the floor every year?

Kira looked better than Tomas based on WATCHING the game last night. Kira made plays at all 3 levels and helped lead the comeback. Had 9 points in 12 minutes. What did Tomas do? Anything you can point to at all? Anything? He looked like he always does. So your comment is highly perplexing. He's an expiring that wont be here all year.

Graham also settled in as the game went on. He also made some high level passes that didnt reach the target. But that's expected. Especially with that Frankenstien lineup. In a 1st preseason game I just want to know those passes are there. The execution will come later. He also got to the line and looked good in pick and roll. He didn't look good at all?

This just seems like people who know how to watch preseason games and those who dont. Which is not surprising.
    Telling that you are basing that conclusion on the first preseason game of the year. Kira has much more potential than Tomas, but is clearly not there yet overall. Tomas is nothing more than an average NBA player. Kira is still a work in progress, at this point.

Telling that you are basing that conclusion on the first preseason game of the year. Kira has much more potential than Tomas, but is clearly not there yet overall. Tomas is nothing more than an average NBA player. Kira is still a work in progress, at this point.
    I was talking about all the wailing about him in this game.

Willie Green even mentioned yesterday Kira gave the team good minutes and wasn't even asked about him.

He clearly outplayed Tomas in this game. He should be given first crack as backup point.

Kira is a two-way player masquerading as a first round draft choice. At this point, I'd take the four year starter, 23 year old Jose Alvarado. from the ACC over the 20 year old, Lewis, all day...everyday, and not look back. Can you say, "Jonny Flynn 2.0"?

Well, Kira is still very young. so there still is hope he develops. I like his speed, but have always been concerned about how small he is. He will need to compensate by being a pest on defense and becoming a good shooter.

Well, Kira is still very young. so there still is hope he develops. I like his speed, but have always been concerned about how small he is. He will need to compensate by being a pest on defense and becoming a good shooter.
    If he continues to be that "pest" in defense like he was against the Magic, it will be promising.

Thread Information