Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: October 4th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Minnesota Timberwolves - Pre Season Debut

Pelicans October 4th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Minnesota Timberwolves - Pre Season Debut

Folks, here we go again. The wait is over and the new season begins. Preseason starts for us today with game one, versus the Wolves. Here's the injury report:

Zion is out, as expected - we were told he may be ready for Game 1, but I think we all knew that meant *Real* game 1, not preseason - and JV is doubtful.

It's been a long, often very dull summer with a quick burst of stuff in the last 2 weeks or so. Some of it has been annoying and absurd, some of it has been interesting and fun, but all of it now gets to be put to the test. Any negatives we have will very probably improve dramatically with success, and any positives may quickly turn sour with failure. The games begin and with it being the 3rd year of Zion's rookie deal, Ingram's 3 year here, and with Jax and NAW having rookie extensions upcoming, now is the time for the Pelicans to begin winning games for real - next year may well be too late. Playoffs or bust this season, no consolation prizes.

So let's see how the squad looks. How will Trey Murphy look playing alongside Ingram, NAW, Devonte, Hart? How will the minutes be handled at forward with Zion out - I assume we see a healthy amount of Naji and Herb?

Willie Green said recently that he likes the idea of a 10 man rotation, and potentially more sometimes - will this manifest in a frustrating Gentry-esque confusion where 13 guys play in the first quarter, or will he simply be a highly adaptable coach who adjusts on the fly a lot? Will we see more multi-guard lineups, chaining NAW, Devonte, Hart, and Kira together, or will we lean harder on the forwards and see some Ingram/Naji/Trey/Herb minutes? It's preseason, anything could happen!

Let's enjoy it. The Pelicans play October 4th.
    Basketball.

Who starts in Zion's place would make for a nice prop bet. It's not like it matters that much in a preseason game and I honestly have no idea.

You could make a case for Josh, Trey, or Naji.

If SVG was here it'd be 100% Josh. I'm going to go with Trey for $100.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I can’t believe this day is finally here.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Who starts in Zion's place would make for a nice prop bet. It's not like it matters that much in a preseason game and I honestly have no idea.

You could make a case for Josh, Trey, or Naji.

If SVG was here it'd be 100% Josh. I'm going to go with Trey for $100.
    Imma bet Naji.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Where he hell does a dude gotta go to actually watch this game?

I like how we say "long summer" and "finally here", but the NBA offseason (particularly this year) is the shortest of any league

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It says Pelicans.com if you are in the New Orleans metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Vipbox is always a good spot

Most interested in four players during preseason games:

NAW - Is he starter material?
    JAX - Has he really extended his offensive game?
    KIRA - Can he justify his first round draft selection?
    Herb - Can he be that lockdown 3/4 defender that this team sorely needs?

I think I have a line on the rest of the team, but I stand ready to be surprised.

I like to see TM3 get some starting minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    KIRA - Can he justify his first round draft selection?
    As much as Pelicans like him... I just don't think he got the juice to be anything but a good back up PG. Granted... His starter isn't some impassible roadblock to being a starter either.

Sadly... Graham can do the one thing Kira can't do. Shoot well. Which almost makes him unseatable for Kira.

I think what probably could happen by season end i.. NAW slides to point. Bring in TM3 to run the 2. Ingram. Zion. Jonas. Got crazy length.
    Last edited by Taker597; 10-04-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    As much as Pelicans like him... I just don't think he got the juice to be anything but a good back up PG. Granted... His starter isn't some impassible roadblock to being a starter either.

Sadly... Graham can do the one thing Kira can't do. Shoot well. Which almost makes him unseatable for Kira.

I think what probably could happen by season end is in end of game runs... NAW slides to point. Bring in TM3 to run the 2. Ingram. Zion. Jonas. Got crazy length.
    I think you have the players right. But, I would run TM3 out at the 3 and move BI to the 2 for defensive purposes. Just by what we saw in the Summer League, TM3 proves to be an above average on-ball defender. Too, TM3 would be a better option defensively against the bulk of the Kawhi Leonard's, Kevin Durant's, Jimmy Butler's, Jayson Tatum's, Khris Middleton's, and Lebron James' of the world, and that BI's length and wingspan could cause havoc on the perimeter. Also, remember, Jonas is only a one year rental, at best.
    Last edited by As I See It; 10-04-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I think what probably could happen by season end i.. NAW slides to point. Bring in TM3 to run the 2. Ingram. Zion. Jonas. Got crazy length.
    Agreed with Kira. I think he can be a serviceable point guard with a good shot. His form is good

#NAW4MVP. The campaign starts tonight

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I like how we say "long summer" and "finally here", but the NBA offseason (particularly this year) is the shortest of any league
    The NBA has a longer offseason (in the average year) than the NHL and NASCAR, and if you take the entire PGA Tour as one thing, the NBA has a longer offseason than that too. Add to that that it's barely shorter than the MLB offseason, and is longer than the offseasons for a number of non-US sports (longer than the Snooker offseason, for example) I think it's fair to feel like it lasts a while.

Sucks you can?t find it on TV anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The NBA has a longer offseason (in the average year) than the NHL and NASCAR, and if you take the entire PGA Tour as one thing, the NBA has a longer offseason than that too. Add to that that it's barely shorter than the MLB offseason, and is longer than the offseasons for a number of non-US sports (longer than the Snooker offseason, for example) I think it's fair to feel like it lasts a while.
    Maybe it's just the fact that I used to be primarily an American football fan, and the stretch from January to September is absolutely brutal. NHL is a fair comparison, but I'm only thinking team sports when making that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I think you have the players right. But, I would run TM3 out at the 3 and move BI to the 2 for defensive purposes. Just by what we saw in the Summer League, TM3 proves to be an above average on-ball defender. Too, TM3 would be a better option defensively against the bulk of the Kawhi Leonard's, Kevin Durant's, Jimmy Butler's, Jayson Tatum's, Khris Middleton's, and Lebron James' of the world, and that BI's length and wingspan could cause havoc on the perimeter. Also, remember, Jonas is only a one year rental, at best.
    I need to see how BI plays with the added muscle. I was thinking the same thing too, but media day got me thinking otherwise. I got give props to BI, because he wants that smoke at being a top players, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    #NAW4MVP. The campaign starts tonight
    My brain says no but my heart says yes. If NAW becomes even quality starter level, I think we're a top 10 team in the league. I just don't know if this year is the year. Maybe another two seasons.

Fascinating is one way to put starting Garrett Temple We'll see

Pre-season can be weird, that's permitted

Shamit can never say a bad thing about the players

lol funky but i like it

I can only assume the idea here is to run the bench unit we'd have during the regular season and keep the rotations intact. I'm hoping that Temple and Hernangomez is not ahead of all of those guys on the bench

I know one thing... If we go undefeated in preseason. We are gonna suck. It's just the Pelicans way. Pre-season Champ curse.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    Sucks you can?t find it on TV anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. Build a new arena instead of airing preseason games.

Thread Information