Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Fired coaches, flawed rosters, frosty rapport with Zion

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Maybe he faked being 100% honest in regards to his feelings about NOLA and Griffin. I'm really not sure either way. But if he is lying about that, he should try out for some local theater productions because he's pretty damn good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I had tons of questions about him ghosting all the team activities myself, but I find the "rehabbing from injury" reason to be a compelling one.
    For real.

Everyone was asking ''why isn't he doing photo ops in Vegas with Ingram and NAW?'' and then when Ingram was hosting team work-outs in various cities, people were asking - is Zion there? If not, why not?

Now we find out that he was getting surgery around the Summer League time and has spent the summer rehabbing. Suddenly him not being in all the photos at Summer League or showing up to these random inter-city workouts makes complete sense.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by b_l_p View Post
    Did you watch the video? He struggled to feign sincerity. It was very different from the rest of his press conference, and we know how little to believe the other stuff as well. I know the Clark article clearly has huge holes in it, but Zion's family not wanting NOLA is real. Zion doesn't get together in the summer with the team, or even talk to them, as we learned from BI's press conference. He avoided being around the team in Vegas. I don't know how many clear signs you need.
    I think he was rehabbing a broken foot.
    Personally, I'm a lot less concerned about the twitter drama than I am about him having these frequent lower body injuries.

I'd much rather the Team be tight lipped about this situation with Zion (Unlike the sellout job by Christian Clark), cause if Zion showed up in a boot/cast, we wouldnt hear the end of this nonsense. So the news breaking at the tail-end of it makes it better.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    For real.

Everyone was asking ''why isn't he doing photo ops in Vegas with Ingram and NAW?'' and then when Ingram was hosting team work-outs in various cities, people were asking - is Zion there? If not, why not?

Now we find out that he was getting surgery around the Summer League time and has spent the summer rehabbing. Suddenly him not being in all the photos at Summer League or showing up to these random inter-city workouts makes complete sense.
    How very convenient…

Did you watch the video? He struggled to feign sincerity. It was very different from the rest of his press conference, and we know how little to believe the other stuff as well. I know the Clark article clearly has huge holes in it, but Zion's family not wanting NOLA is real. Zion doesn't get together in the summer with the team, or even talk to them, as we learned from BI's press conference. He avoided being around the team in Vegas. I don't know how many clear signs you need.
    His family just got approval to add an addition to the mansion. They want to be in New Orleans just as long as it's the best chance to win in a of couple years. If not, bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    How very convenient…
    I mean, if you're coming at it from a position of suspicion that there's already duplicity and wrongdoing afoot, then yeah it may look suspicious. But that's from a particular perspective and in hindsight.

If you're Zion, or the team's medical staff, you're not thinking that way in the moment. You're saying ''no, I'm not going to this random workout in some other state right now, I have a broken foot and am recovering from surgery''. It's only ''convenient'' if you're looking for conspiratorial ways to view things.

Is it ''convenient'' if I don't go to a party because I'm sick?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not the same. Whether you agree, it does offer a very convenient explanation.

Just remember Jrue loves New Orleans, Anthony Davis loves New Orleans, Chris Paul loves New Orleans so much he went back to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not the same. Whether you agree, it does offer a very convenient explanation.
    So, are you really saying that you think he is faking his surgery? Come on, that is ridiculous.

Liked hearing Willie Green talk about giving BI some post ups. Been calling for that the last 2 years. All that length and only 18% shot attempts at the rim last year is atrocious.

I feel like SVG was creative getting Zion good looks but left BI to fend for himself.

If Zion has to miss the first 2 weeks for the inevitable "set back", I feel comfortable with the roster.

Offensively going through BI/Graham/Jonas (with some NAW mixed in) seems a lot better and balanced than BI/Lonzo/Bledsoe. Then praying Lonzo and Hart hit their shots.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I like Jake's podcast a lot but in a previous episode he made a comment insinuating being boys with Clark.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I'm impressed that so many of you think Zion in NOLA won't play out just as every single star in NOLA (and most small markets, recently) has played out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5b21c8a45612025a69abc1c173ea0678.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	6594

I'm impressed that so many of you think Zion in NOLA won't play out just as every single star in NOLA (and most small markets, recently) has played out.

No. He will be the outlier!

So he'll sign his rookie extension as soon as he's eligible?

1) haven’t seen much about what kind of shape Z looked to be in. Should I assume the worst?
    2) have we figured out who the non-Vaxxed players are get?

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I think it's more likely than not that he'll ask out, just like AD and CP3 did. However, I just don't see what you saw at the press conference to confirm that suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    For what it's worth, I agree with you. I think it's more likely than not that he'll ask out, just like AD and CP3 did. However, I just don't see what you saw at the press conference to confirm that suspicion.
    Exactly. Odds are not great that he will be like the very minority of stars in smaller markets and want to spend his career here. However, I did not see anything in the PC that made me feel he intends to bolt as soon as he can.

I am just glad my spirit of optimism was crushed years ago by this franchise, so I never had faith to put into Gentry, SVG, or Griff. You can?t get crushed if there is nothing there to crush.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Exactly. Odds are not great that he will be like the very minority of stars in smaller markets and want to spend his career here. However, I did not see anything in the PC that made me feel he intends to bolt as soon as he can.
    Yep. He will sign that contract and we either make sufficient progress, or eventually he says he has had enough. We were hamstrung in the AD era with some poor deals and signings (and horrendous luck for that matter). I don’t see the same situation with Zion- the potential is there. It’s whether we live up to it or hit the floor.

How many star players stay on non-contending teams?

Some of you guys have this victim mentality that New Orleans is the only place that happens.

But really. Name some superstars that remained with a franchise despite that franchise not contending for titles.

Is it set in stone that he is leaving? No. But a couple of you are attempting to take this pessimistic angle.

Will he probably leave if we're not contending for titles? It's almost a certainty. Most of us are hoping we can put a contending team in place before then.

The odds of Zion not at least signing his extension here are pretty much ZERO. Players that are their own walking market just dont get enough incremental benefit from changing markets like other players would. Especially in today's "player fan" era. Look at how Lonzo's legion follow him wherever he goes.

Just not worth the stupidity of risking an entire year playing on a QO, especially with his injury history steadily building up.

Spotrac wrote a piece a long while ago about Luka detailing ALL the options available, including one people hardly mention. Probably because they just don't know about it. The same options apply to Zion or any other max eligible player.

https://www.spotrac.com/spots/luka-d...-options-1235/

Long story short, he can sign the extension, get all that guaranteed money, then force his way out.

He'd have to have the absolute worst advisory team in the history of sports, combined with an outright massive disdain for playing here to go the extreme route talked about by shock media.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The odds of Zion not at least signing his extension here are pretty much ZERO. Players that are their own walking market just dont get enough incremental benefit from changing markets like other players would. Especially in today's "player fan" era. Look at how Lonzo's legion follow him wherever he goes.

Just not worth the stupidity of risking an entire year playing on a QO, especially with his injury history steadily building up.

Spotrac wrote a piece a long while ago about Luka detailing ALL the options available, including one people hardly mention. Probably because they just don't know about it. The same options apply to Zion or any other max eligible player.

https://www.spotrac.com/spots/luka-d...-options-1235/

Long story short, he can sign the extension, get all that guaranteed money, then force his way out.

He'd have to have the absolute worst advisory team in the history of sports, combined with an outright massive disdain for playing here to go the extreme route talked about by shock media.
    I think people are definitely talking about that...maybe not specifically to Zion because it's more alarmist to talk about him not signing the extension (though the Zach Lowe/Andrew Lopez pod did mention forcing his way out after signing, if I recall) but that's exactly what Ben Simmons is trying to do. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    1) haven’t seen much about what kind of shape Z looked to be in. Should I assume the worst?
    2) have we figured out who the non-Vaxxed players are get?
    1) He looked to be in okay-ish, if not exceptional shape at media day. Certainly not a chiseled Greek statue but he didn't look absurdly massive either.
    2) Not that I know of.

Thread Information