Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Fired coaches, flawed rosters, frosty rapport with Zion

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You misspelled "Mac was trying to tell us all this for months but since our bias incentivized us not to believe it, we called him a liar"

Know the truth or live your bias...the choice is up to you

I always thought a major flaw in Griffin's approach was to portray the franchise as a "family" and emphasize things like "love" and "understanding."

A basketball franchise is not a family. You don't trade away your kids or your Mom when they don't fit or do their chores the way you want. Setting that as a foundation sets you up for unrealistic expectations and charges of hypocrisy when the inevitable happens and you have to make tough decisions in the best interests of the team.

People, including NBA stars, want to be treated with respect and dealt with in a straight forward, above board manner. They don't need a lot of New Age platitudes and Kumbaya hand-holding. That stuff is actually counter-productive, especially from front-office management. It's a team and it's a business where business decisions need to be made. Everyone understands that unless you undermine your culture by creating false expectations.

Let everyone from the governor to the janitor know you are going to do whatever it takes to build a winner while treating people with respect and dignity--not love--and you'll have a much happier shop.

Griffin just appears to be the wrong man for the job.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fearthebr...442030599?s=21

Okay... There has to be a munity going on, because the leaks this off season has been nothing short of embarrassing.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    The only thing I took from this article, outside of the impeccable timing, is what I like to coin "piano gate". The only question that needs to be asked was what John Legend song did Griff decided on to serenade Zion with. I'm going with "Ordinary People"

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Well written article by nola.com
    Yes, the grammar was fine

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris504 View Post
    The only thing I took from this article, outside of the impeccable timing, is what I like to coin "piano gate". The only question that needs to be asked was what John Legend song did Griff decided on to serenade Zion with. I'm going with "Ordinary People"
    No way it wasn't Imagine
    Basketball.

Griffin was a terrible hire from the get go. His resume was only impressive due to LeBron James decision to go back to Cleveland.

Everyone wants someone to blame.

I am not saying that Griffin isn't at fault, but sooner rather than later you have to realize that these entitled sportsman want what they want and it doesn't matter what we as fans want or what a small market GM does.

It hasn't changed in the 28 years I have been following the NBA.
    It's only gotten worse with social media allowing us to now hear and share it it all.

Am I the only one here who really just doesn't care at this point?

Either this is - long term - something or it's not, we don't really have any way of knowing in detail, and I'm honestly just pretty tired about trade speculations and stars demanding out of places and franchise front office tensions. We've heard this since Zion was drafted in one form or another, we've just spent all summer hearing about it from Ben Simmons, we had it with James Harden beforehand, and Kawhi Leonard before that. That's without even talking about the years of it we heard for AD, or the - ultimately pointless - speculation we all heard about Giannis.

This upcoming season I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy that and try to ignore as much of this stuff as possible. It's tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/fearthebr...442030599?s=21

Okay... There has to be a munity going on, because the leaks this off season has been nothing short of embarrassing.
    Oh wow... homie spittin facts on facts.

Typical twitter talk. "Can't refute any" instead of saying it is all true. All about drama.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I realize I'm in a very small minority, but I'd just assume put out some genuine feelers to see if we could get a tempting trade if he shows up out of shape. If you really believe he's going to leave anyway, at least you're avoiding catastrophic injury that way. I like the way we've built our team so far.

LMAO Jake

Mac's pod was very sobering
    Last edited by AusPel; 09-23-2021 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Everyone wants someone to blame.

I am not saying that Griffin isn't at fault, but sooner rather than later you have to realize that these entitled sportsman want what they want and it doesn't matter what we as fans want or what a small market GM does.

It hasn't changed in the 28 years I have been following the NBA.
    It's only gotten worse with social media allowing us to now hear and share it it all.
    I mean I don't disagree, but aren't you just doing the same thing your providing caution for? Everyone wants someone to blame, and your just shifting the focus of the blame to Zion (and entitled players in general). I think it looks bad all around but Griffin absolutely doesn't deserve to escape the spotlight of blame

The whole thing is just plain idiotic. Why post an article like this? What does it do? Nothing but stir up ********. I don?t care if every bit of it is true, it doesn?t matter. Why? Because at the end of the day the New Orlean?s Pelicans is a organization, a business, and you know what happens in organizations/businesses that are full of people? Stupid crap and butting heads and getting irritated at your fellow employees and management. This occurs in every single organization on the planet. Why on earth is there so many Pelicans fans out there think this business is any different than any other out there?

1) Zion (a 20 year old young black man) doesn?t like hanging out with his boss (60 year old white man). What a shocker that they are not best friends. It blows my mind that these two men don?t love the same things, how can this be?

2) There are people in the organization who don?t like working for Griffen. What a shocker. Is there any organization out there that every single person loves working for their boss?

3) Zion and his family are not happy about not winning? What the?! It would be more damning on Zion and the rest of the players if they were happy with not winning.

4) I get everyone is pissed at Grif because in two years he hasn?t been able to turn this franchise around. But let us not forget that his first year Covid hit and nocked everything whacked. 2nd year no preseason, not much of a training camp, very little up front opportunities of SVG to install his system. Everything ended up being a learn by the seat of your pants operation. This franchise has been stuck in the mud since Chris Paul left, thinking that in two extraordinary years with an extremely young and inexperienced team Grif was going to be able to right the ship and get them to the next level IMO was just silly.

5) I find it hilarious how many in the media just assume that if you are the top dog of an organization, you should be able to make no mistakes when hiring someone. From someone who used to work for a company, who made a few ******** poor hires in their management department, and then dragged out the process of getting rid of them, kudos to Grif for getting rid of a bad hire when he was able to do so.

Man I could just go on and on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Am I the only one here who really just doesn't care at this point?

Either this is - long term - something or it's not, we don't really have any way of knowing in detail, and I'm honestly just pretty tired about trade speculations and stars demanding out of places and franchise front office tensions. We've heard this since Zion was drafted in one form or another, we've just spent all summer hearing about it from Ben Simmons, we had it with James Harden beforehand, and Kawhi Leonard before that. That's without even talking about the years of it we heard for AD, or the - ultimately pointless - speculation we all heard about Giannis.

This upcoming season I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy that and try to ignore as much of this stuff as possible. It's tiring.
    Amen brother. I think that so many fans loose sight of the fact that NBA basketball along with all other sports we watch and don?t participate in is nothing more than entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    The whole thing is just plain idiotic. Why post an article like this? What does it do? Nothing but stir up ********. I don?t care if every bit of it is true, it doesn?t matter. Why? Because at the end of the day the New Orlean?s Pelicans is a organization, a business, and you know what happens in organizations/businesses that are full of people? Stupid crap and butting heads and getting irritated at your fellow employees and management. This occurs in every single organization on the planet. Why on earth is there so many Pelicans fans out there think this business is any different than any other out there?

1) Zion (a 20 year old young black man) doesn?t like hanging out with his boss (60 year old white man). What a shocker that they are not best friends. It blows my mind that these two men don?t love the same things, how can this be?

2) There are people in the organization who don?t like working for Griffen. What a shocker. Is there any organization out there that every single person loves working for their boss?

3) Zion and his family are not happy about not winning? What the?! It would be more damning on Zion and the rest of the players if they were happy with not winning.

4) I get everyone is pissed at Grif because in two years he hasn?t been able to turn this franchise around. But let us not forget that his first year Covid hit and nocked everything whacked. 2nd year no preseason, not much of a training camp, very little up front opportunities of SVG to install his system. Everything ended up being a learn by the seat of your pants operation. This franchise has been stuck in the mud since Chris Paul left, thinking that in two extraordinary years with an extremely young and inexperienced team Grif was going to be able to right the ship and get them to the next level IMO was just silly.

5) I find it hilarious how many in the media just assume that if you are the top dog of an organization, you should be able to make no mistakes when hiring someone. From someone who used to work for a company, who made a few ******** poor hires in their management department, and then dragged out the process of getting rid of them, kudos to Grif for getting rid of a bad hire when he was able to do so.

Man I could just go on and on.

Don't you know this is what they are trying to do? I believe nothing the media says. They're trying to get the public riled up...looking for news to try to get Zion moved. It started the moment we selected him.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    LMAO Jake

Same here. I listened to Mac's before Jake's, and must say I was yelling at my radio a few times listening to Jake defend Zion and his family

This is all overblown per usual just to push the “Zion out of New Orleans narrative” forgetting that we are a super young roster in a transition period. I do think most people hate Griffin (most of us hated the hire), but we have plenty of promising elements coming into play this season. It’s a matter of do we keep doubling down on our mistakes as Griff has, or do we turn a corner here with the new likable young gun head coach, promising signs from Jax and Nickeil, Trey looking the part and some pretty good acquisitions via trade. Griff has somehow stumbled into a pretty intriguing roster despite doing everything he could to sabotage us after the Lakers trade. At this point, we don’t have excuses to be bad. Curious to see how we can fudge this up. I’m worried we will.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    LMAO Jake

linkers?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Same here. I listened to Mac's before Jake's, and must say I was yelling at my radio a few times listening to Jake defend Zion and his family
    Honestly I only really blame him for his rookie season (which was a serious red flag tbf). It confuses me how anyone could have much of a problem with him last season, but eh. A lot of this stuff is still really really gossippiy, so I still take some of it with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is all overblown per usual just to push the “Zion out of New Orleans narrative” forgetting that we are a super young roster in a transition period. I do think most people hate Griffin (most of us hated the hire), but we have plenty of promising elements coming into play this season. It’s a matter of do we keep doubling down on our mistakes as Griff has, or do we turn a corner here with the new likable young gun head coach, promising signs from Jax and Nickeil, Trey looking the part and some pretty good acquisitions via trade. Griff has somehow stumbled into a pretty intriguing roster despite doing everything he could to sabotage us after the Lakers trade. At this point, we don’t have excuses to be bad. Curious to see how we can fudge this up. I’m worried we will.
    We could literally win 50 games next year and this will all go away. Regardless Zion's signing the extension so this is all much ado about nothing

Thread Information