Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fired coaches, flawed rosters, frosty rapport with Zion

Whats strange is the timing. Seems like this should have come out 4 months ago right after they fired SVG. Why now?

Since the Willie Green hiring things have been quiet around this franchise after summer league. And during free agency they used Steven Adams to bring back positive assets at little cost (just as I said they could months ago). The draft so far looks excellent with Trey and Herb.

There hasn't been any recent deleted tweet or comment by anyone. No agents have said anything. All the main parties to this negative story declined comment. SVG did multiple interviews and never really said anything negative. Josh Hart hasn't said anything. Lonzo hasn't said much about his time here.

Sometimes it's best to look at the source more than the story.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Whats strange is the timing. Seems like this should have come out 4 months ago right after they fired SVG. Why now?

Since the Willie Green hiring things have been quiet around this franchise after summer league. And during free agency they used Steven Adams to bring back positive assets at little cost (just as I said they could months ago). The draft so far looks excellent with Trey and Herb.

There hasn't been any recent deleted tweet or comment by anyone. No agents have said anything. All the main parties to this negative story declined comment. SVG did multiple interviews and never really said anything negative. Josh Hart hasn't said anything. Lonzo hasn't said much about his time here.

I'm where you are at with this article. There really isn't much to it tbh. I was expecting a lot worse after reading the headline; It's all about the headline!

You can plead ignorance all you want about the media and their blatant meddling. Weren’t they literally shouting to the rooftops that Zion was considering going back to college to avoid us? They were pushing that narrative heavily until it was debunked, and they have been pushing many more. Let’s not pretend for the sake of being ‘realistic’ that it doesn’t exist.

We are a clown show. That is true. Griffin is not well liked. We all know that. That doesn’t mean they aren’t going above and beyond to repeat this narrative to get everyone unsettled and get the people talking. It goes both ways really. Don’t play dumb

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    You can plead ignorance all you want about the media and their blatant meddling. Weren?t they literally shouting to the rooftops that Zion was considering going back to college to avoid us? They were pushing that narrative heavily until it was debunked, and they have been pushing many more. Let?s not pretend for the sake of being ?realistic? that it doesn?t exist.

We are a clown show. That is true. Griffin is not well liked. We all know that. That doesn?t mean they aren?t going above and beyond to repeat this narrative to get everyone unsettled and get the people talking. It goes both ways really. Don?t play dumb
    When Griffin came here it was widely known that this was going to be a slow rebuild. They tried to speed it up his first year by handing the reigns to Jrue, but he's ill equipped for that role. So they traded him. As most of us thought they should.

This is a team with lots of young developing talent and cap flexibility, with draft capital clear to 2027. Plus good vets in Valanciunas and Graham. And even Jonas is on an expiring.

How is that a "clown show"?

Everybody can second guess a move here and there. None of which has been catastrophic. So let's stop with the hyperbole.

And once again, if if if rumors are true Zion is angry because they were cautious with his injury 2 years ago, that reflects poorly on him. Not Griff.

Zion should be in grind mode trying to get better at both ends of NBA basketball. Not threatening a franchise and sulking because they haven't made the playoffs in his first 85 games.

Basketball Guru
    i been rooting for the team since day 1....cant wait for the season to start...go pels...

Agree. The timing is very puzzling. It reads almost like a retaliatory piece. I wonder if the organization has alienated some of the reporters/bloggers recently.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Zion needs to give this season a chance. Give the new coach a chance. We added very good players. JV, Devonte Graham, Satoransky, Temple, trey Murphy are upgrades from Adams, Bledsoe, and Lonzo.

What did we lose? A center that is injury prone, makes a lot of mistakes, and doesn?t stretch the floor? A flaky inconsistent player who makes tons of stupid mistakes in Bledsoe? A point guard who is very injury prone and very reluctant to drive to the basket?

We added shooting, experienced players who can score from anywhere, depth?

We also fired coach super Mario who was a tyrant and a terrible coach.

We also got rid of Lavar Ball thank god.

I?m gonna give Zion the benefit of the doubt. Why did he ghost BI and Vinson? Maybe there?s a good reason. Zion has played incredible last season. Maybe BI needs to be traded? Who knows what?s really happening behind the scenes.

Focus on winning and the team will be fine. We need to have a stellar season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There may be something going on behind the scenes- who knows. They are definitely beating this horse to death because they wanted him out of New Orleans yesterday. My concern mainly is the stuff that is supposedly being leaked (reportedly from both sides including the Pels). We may have some rats in our org and Zion may have some people in his camp acting on their own and fueling the flames. I doubt Griff is stupid enough to escalate this and Zion probably wouldn’t want to either. It’s a mess regardless

Fired coaches, flawed rosters, frosty rapport with Zion

I?m not buying and agree with all of this negative publicity all seems like it has a nefarious motive.

Although, one thing that stuck with me when Zion was drafted. Griffin immediately said it was still Jrue?s team and basically downplayed Zion?s role as the face of the franchise early on. I get why he did that. He was trying to take pressure off of Zion to be some all time great out of the gate and the savior of the franchise. Now, i would think most players would accept that and actually appreciate it. However, maybe it did not sit well with his family and camp. Maybe he is one of those players that wants to be the star of the team without putting in the actual work? Might be nothing to Griff?s statements early on but I definitely kind of took a mental note that i hope Griff knows Zion?s expectations before saying that publicly.

Do you understand what a "fact" is? What exactly was "factual" in that piece that anyone can go corroborate for themselves?

JJ Redick being pissed off? Yes we know that because he spoke on it. And guess what? Nobody gives a ****. Redick being angry about his personal needs being met is not a stain on Griffin.

So what else?
    Well, bringing in a respected FA to be a veteran leader/example for your young players and then having him trash you on the way out is definately a stain on Griffin. Maybe it's his fault, maybe not, but regardless the perception is reality. Especially since it involves a player he wanted to influence the rest of the roster...whoops! And you say nobody cares, but clearly there are chinks in Griff's armor, hence this piece, Zion's relationship, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Well, bringing in a respected FA to be a veteran leader/example for your young players and then having him trash you on the way out is definately a stain on Griffin. Maybe it's his fault, maybe not, but regardless the perception is reality. Especially since it involves a player he wanted to influence the rest of the roster...whoops! And you say nobody cares, but clearly there are chinks in Griff's armor, hence this piece, Zion's relationship, etc.
    I don't really think anyone is saying Griff is flawless. He is, if nothing else, a huge cornball and comes off as a bit of a used-car salesman.

But Redick getting annoyed at him for not trading him to a contender when his value was so low he was forced into retirement less than 12 months later isn't really Griff's fault. If Redick wants to be salty and vocal about it, nobody can stop him.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't really think anyone is saying Griff is flawless. He is, if nothing else, a huge cornball and comes off as a bit of a used-car salesman.

But Redick getting annoyed at him for not trading him to a contender when his value was so low he was forced into retirement less than 12 months later isn't really Griff's fault. If Redick wants to be salty and vocal about it, nobody can stop him.
    And, I would be willing to wager that more players than not, laughed at Redick's gripe.

Also, Zach Lowe had Andrew Lopez on his podcast today and said at some point that he believed at least some of the reporting in the story was from people who had since left the organization and were bitter about it. So while I don't doubt Clark's reporting, I think there are multiple indications that his sources were biased toward a negative narrative

All I know is after this Enquirer BS, that our local media folks are just plain idiots when it comes this type of stuff. Seriously, me as a fan, all I care about to be reported, is injuries, what to possibly expect for growth in our players, transactions, etc. I could care less if one player doesn?t like another or some admin guys are cracking jokes about their bosses.

IMO the possibility of Zion wanting out of town, doesn?t get real until Zion himself comes out and says he wants out of town. I could care less if his 5th cousin wants to see him play for the Knicks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play community co-ed soccer in Lake Charles Louisiana and yes, I understand that it's unimportant and trivial. Most of the time I don't take it seriously. Having fun and staying in shape is my top priority. But it still sucks to lose. It really sucks to lose alongside people not trying. It sucks even more to watch other teams winning. **** those guys. I swear the refs are related to them or something. I'm fat and I couldn't change directions, I didn't deserve that red. He pretty much asked for it. But anyway, it sucks even at that low level when I'm trying to just have fun and stay in shape. It has to be excruciating when you're a professional. Even more so when you're supposed to be a phenom and you want to cement yourself next to Mike and Bron. I don't fault CP3 and AD for wanting to leave. I take issue with how AD handled it. But if this stays like normal Pels I definitely won't fault Zion for wanting to leave. I know the feeling and I'm just a community soccer player. I'm loyal as **** but if I find myself stuck in what the Pels have been the past couple of seasons (what the amateur version of that is) I'm ready to bolt.

Once we bring in a great player and I have hope, that all melts away, though. Once we win a few games it's all erased.

I bet he is frustrated. I bet he's verbalized that. But don't start to worry until people like Swin, Langdon, or Vinson bolt. If those coveted people keep choosing to stay here, this place isn't a cess pool. Always question our local media. There absolutely are no insiders and they are absolutely a cesspool.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 09-24-2021 at 06:51 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Agree. The timing is very puzzling. It reads almost like a retaliatory piece. I wonder if the organization has alienated some of the reporters/bloggers recently.
    yup.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    And, I would be willing to wager that more players than not, laughed at Redick's gripe.
    Support local journalism

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Support local journalism
    Thats a weird trolling response, which is consistent for you. I will give you that! Having said that, I do in fact subscribe to nola.com. I have no problem with the writers. I'm just pointing out that this is a weak article, without saying anything dramatic. BTW, I also subscribe to Louisiana Weekly, WWNO, and Bayou Brief. Do you subscribe to anything locally, where you actually pay for content? Guessing by your lack of reading comprehension skills, I'm gonna guess your answer is no.

Basketball Guru
    well Thursday the city council approved a third floor addition to the mansion that zion mom own..so that should help ease the tension lol....

13-3 im surprise that you didnt mention this lol smh...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    well Thursday the city council approved a third floor addition to the mansion that zion mom own..so that should help ease the tension lol....

13-3 im surprise that you didnt mention this lol smh...
    Everything fine and dandy .

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Thats a weird trolling response, which is consistent for you. I will give you that! Having said that, I do in fact subscribe to nola.com. I have no problem with the writers. I'm just pointing out that this is a weak article, without saying anything dramatic. BTW, I also subscribe to Louisiana Weekly, WWNO, and Bayou Brief. Do you subscribe to anything locally, where you actually pay for content? Guessing by your lack of reading comprehension skills, I'm gonna guess your answer is no.
    Nola.com is a pay site. Support your local journalists.

Not if they keep peddling in gossip.

Thread Information