Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hart Returning!!!

Pelicans Josh Hart Returning!!!

Woj is reporting that Josh Hart is returning to the Pels on a 3 year deal for 38 million. I'm glad to see him return, i think he brings alot of energy, grit and enthusiasm to the team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    It's in the other threads. Not happy about it personally, but some seem sure he'll be gone either at the deadline or next offseason as salary balance in a trade. Hope he shoots the 3 a little better.

That’s ok. I like the enthusiasm. Maybe a bit of an overpay but I really like Hart because he’s a Dog that we need and does everything better than Buddy except shoot at a much cheaper price. If he can just hit 3’s in the late 30’s percentile I think everyone will STFU. Plus he wants to be here and always has despite everyone’s conspiracy theory of taking his info off of Twitter. I think he truly wants to make NOLA his home. At least used to be a fan favorite and I know the guys on this team like him.

Quote Originally Posted by TennMan23 View Post
    That’s ok. I like the enthusiasm. Maybe a bit of an overpay but I really like Hart because he’s a Dog that we need and does everything better than Buddy except shoot at a much cheaper price. If he can just hit 3’s in the late 30’s percentile I think everyone will STFU. Plus he wants to be here and always has despite everyone’s conspiracy theory of taking his info off of Twitter. I think he truly wants to make NOLA his home. At least used to be a fan favorite and I know the guys on this team like him.
    Hart was at 32.6% threes least season

Expecting that to explode to late 30s is lunacy

Not sure why many of you are excited or disappointed with this signing.

Come January Hart, Sato, Temple and others will be moved for better pieces. Let's hope they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

Come January Hart, Sato, Temple and others will be moved for better pieces. Let's hope they succeed.
    Not sure how you can definitively say trades are happening. It takes two to tango

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Hart for each of the last 4 years:

2020-21 - 26th percentile in the NBA (267th in the league in percentage) - 32.6%
    2019-20 - 40th percentile in the NBA (206th in the league) - 34.2%
    2018-19 - 41st percentile in the NBA (205th in the league) - 33.6%
    2017-18 - 82nd percentile in the NBA (58th in the league) - 39.6%

So it's weird because yes, there is precedent for him shooting high 30s from 3. But it hasn't happened since 2017-18, we're heading into 2021-22 now. The year he did that was also his career low in attempt rate.

But he has arguably gotten worse as a shooter every year since then - literally, in terms of percentiles - and expecting him to randomly post or match a career high out of nowhere is a bit odd.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hart for each of the last 4 years:

2020-21 - 26th percentile in the NBA (267th in the league in percentage) - 32.6%
    2019-20 - 40th percentile in the NBA (206th in the league) - 34.2%
    2018-19 - 41st percentile in the NBA (205th in the league) - 33.6%
    2017-18 - 82nd percentile in the NBA (58th in the league) - 39.6%

So it's weird because yes, there is precedent for him shooting high 30s from 3. But it hasn't happened since 2017-18, we're heading into 2021-22 now. The year he did that was also his career low in attempt rate.

But he has arguably gotten worse as a shooter every year since then - literally, in terms of percentiles - and expecting him to randomly post or match a career high out of nowhere is a bit odd.
    Did not watch him in 2017-18, but would like to know if he had that strange release then whereby he falls back away from the basket as he shoots. That seems like it makes the shot more difficult,

amazing trade bait.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Did not watch him in 2017-18, but would like to know if he had that strange release then whereby he falls back away from the basket as he shoots. That seems like it makes the shot more difficult,
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that, haha.

When he doesn't fall backwards, he can be quite accurate

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    amazing trade bait.
    It's salary matching not trade bait.

It's salary matching not trade bait.
    Only if a team is trying to dump someone who's probably not great anyway and won't make our team better, unless they're kind of good and it will take draft picks to get the deal done

Only if a team is trying to dump someone who's probably not great anyway and won't make our team better, unless they're kind of good and it will take draft picks to get the deal done
    Any player that is good will take salary to match in a trade and expiring players are the best for teams that lose their star players when they ask out.
    Of course it will include draft picks.
    Why else would Griff be hording them? Its not just to correct his mistakes.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 08-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Dude plays hard, has a great temperament, I'm glad he's back.

If Lonzo can do it... Hart/anybody can do it. Just needs to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    If Lonzo can do it... Hart/anybody can do it. Just needs to work on it.
    Tell that to Russell Westbrook.

Championship

Tell that to Russell Westbrook.
    "Just needs to work on it". Russ doesn't.

NOLAJake gives his perspective on why Griff overpaid Hart. makes sense.

"Just needs to work on it". Russ doesn't.
    This is a pretty contentious statement. Pretty much every report that's ever been attached to Russ has confirmed that he's an incredibly hard worker who is always in the gym, always taking shots after practice, always X, always Y. I would be thoroughly surprised if Russ doesn't work on shooting at least somewhat. To conclude that he doesn't just because he's bad at it is absurd. Sometimes people put the work in but never develop the knack. It sucks but it's true.

This is a pretty contentious statement. Pretty much every report that's ever been attached to Russ has confirmed that he's an incredibly hard worker who is always in the gym, always taking shots after practice, always X, always Y. I would be thoroughly surprised if Russ doesn't work on shooting at least somewhat. To conclude that he doesn't just because he's bad at it is absurd. Sometimes people put the work in but never develop the knack. It sucks but it's true.
    This a rich. Probably the most CONTENTIOUS statement ever made in this forum belongs to you.

"BI is just not that good".

To which I might respond.....

"Pretty much every report that's ever been attached to BI has confirmed that he's an incredibly hard worker who is always in the gym, always taking shots after practice, always X, always Y."

Pot meet kettle.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    NOLAJake gives his perspective on why Griff overpaid Hart. makes sense.

This made me feel better about the Hart signing. It definitely does feel like an overpay. But he makes a good point about the team culture, which seems like one of the bigger problems with the team for a long time. Hart is a guy who plays hard and is fun to be around, and happy to be in New Orleans, and having that energy on the team is something we desperately need, perhaps even more than talent.

Its a fun detail that Hart is represented by the same agents as JJ Reddick, after he publicly said he expects his representation to not work with the Pelicans again? but things just worked out great between the Pelicans another one of their clients. So we aren?t getting blackballed despite JJ slandering the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    This made me feel better about the Hart signing. It definitely does feel like an overpay. But he makes a good point about the team culture, which seems like one of the bigger problems with the team for a long time. Hart is a guy who plays hard and is fun to be around, and happy to be in New Orleans, and having that energy on the team is something we desperately need, perhaps even more than talent.

Its a fun detail that Hart is represented by the same agents as JJ Reddick, after he publicly said he expects his representation to not work with the Pelicans again? but things just worked out great between the Pelicans another one of their clients. So we aren?t getting blackballed despite JJ slandering the Pelicans.
    Where else was Josh getting paid? Agents owed it to Josh not to listen to JJ.

Hart can get waived after year 1. It's fine

He has to decide to opt in or out (to year 2 @ 12.96M) by June 24, then we have 24 hours to guarantee or not guarantee the contract.

3 different outcomes; though 2 and 3 are pretty similar

1. Hart opts in and we guarantee = Josh stays
    2. Hart opts in and we don't guarantee = Josh is waived
    3. Hart opts out = Josh becomes an UFA

Very cool Mr Cavaleri
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-19-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Yeah it's a fine deal. The absolute, per year value is high - sure - but there's basically every possible out for the team build in at essentially every point in the life of the deal, and it also makes him way more attractive as trade ballast. It's fine

Thread Information